Getting It by Alex Sanchez

Getting It

by Alex Sanchez

I’m used to Sanchez writing about the struggles and rewards of being gay. This book was a little different. It didn’t feature two gay boys. Instead it was a straight boy who wants to be cooler and a gay boy. Regardless the message in this book was just as rewarding as Sanchez’s other books: there are different ways of looking at life. Sal shows Carlos the world through different eyes. The story is a little bit unrealistic in my opinion but Sanchez’s books always end happy so I allow some leniency. I enjoyed reading the book. ( )
  Kassilem | Aug 13, 2013 |
I love the writing styles on all the books i have read by Alex Sanchez but i think i like Getting It best because it it shows it from a different angle then most books with the same topic. ( )
  JessicaBadrick | Aug 6, 2012 |
Carlos want to get Roxy's attention but does not know how to do it. Under the impression that gays know how, thanks to Queer Eye TV series, Carlos approached gay Sal for help. This was particularly difficult for Carlos, growing up knowing that his father despise anything maricon and friends who seem to be homophobic.

In return, Sal wants Carlos to help him to set up Gay-Straight Alliance in the school. Already uncomfortable to be seen in public with Sal, this request is particularly more difficult for Carlos.

Sal steps into Carlos's life and transform not only his appearance, but his view of the gays.

I am surprised I enjoyed this book more than Sanchez's other writings. I thought this book had nothing much to offer, compared his first Rainbow Boys and the sensitive The God Box. I think Alex Sanchez got daring with his generous description. However, I am also aware his description was more on boy-girl and nothing on male-male.

Still, I liked what I have read. ( )
  starlight70 | Oct 17, 2011 |
Reviewed by Randstostipher "tallnlankyrn" Nguyen for TeensReadToo.com

High school isn't too bad for Carlos Amoroso, except for the fact that he may be the only guy that hasn't gone all the way--or even kissed a girl. That's only because Carlos is waiting for his crush, Roxy Rodriguez, the most popular girl in school. The only problem is that Roxy doesn't even notice Carlos in the tiniest bit. And it's really bad that Carlos's friends keep on talking about all the girls they've been with.

But Carlos has a plan, which ironically appeared in his brain when he came upon the hit television show Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. What better way to have someone notice you than by getting a complete makeover? All he needs is someone to do the makeover for him, and he's found the perfect person, Sal--the guy who everyone thinks is gay. Before he knows it, Sal agrees to help him out, but it comes with a price: Carlos has to pay Sal, and he has to help establish a Gay-Straight Alliance at their school.

With the help of Sal, Carlos takes on a whole new identity. With new clothes and a new hairstyle, along with a room that doesn't look like a dump, Carlos actually looks good. But not only is Carlos changing, but so are his friends, the way he feels about his dad, and the way he feels about Roxy. Could this makeover be for the best, or was it worth it at all?

Alex Sanchez does it again with his newest novel GETTING IT. On the surface, this is a hilarious story that feels like another episode of Queer Eye, but underneath lies serious issues that are prevalent in every high school. Alex Sanchez takes readers on a journey that may possibly change the way the readers view certain issues. This is the perfect book that includes a perfect lesson. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 11, 2009 |
This was the last Alex Sanchez book that I hadn't yet read, after having enjoyed his other books very much. In my opinion it is his weakest book in terms of character development, everything seems sort of shallow. I don't know if it's because it's written from a hetero point of view, but this book was very different from his other books. I'm a big fan of his other books, particularly "The God Box" and "The Rainbow Trilogy", but this one just didn't draw me in. ( )
  sherrie87 | Jun 16, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141690896X, Hardcover)

He clicked on Queer Eye, a show where five gay dudes gave some grungy straight guy a makeover -- plucking his nose hairs, redecorating his apartment, and teaching him to bake a quiche -- so he could confidently propose marriage to his girlfriend and she'd tell him "yes." Which, of course, she did. On TV the guy always gets the girl.

As Carlos watched, he recalled Sal, the supposedly gay guy at school. It was then that the idea first popped into his brain: If Sal truly were queer...could he possibly help Carlos?...Nor to propose to Roxy, of course -- at least not yet -- but to get her to maybe like him?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:28 -0400)

Hoping to impress a sexy female classmate, fifteen-year-old Carlos secretly hires gay student Sal to give him an image makeover, in exchange for Carlos's help in forming a Gay-Straight Alliance at their Texas high school.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,846,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible