The Demon of River Heights (Nancy Drew…

The Demon of River Heights (Nancy Drew Graphic Novels: Girl Detective #1) (edition 2005)

by Stefan Petrucha, Sho Murase

Member:Tarak20
Title:The Demon of River Heights (Nancy Drew Graphic Novels: Girl Detective #1)
Authors:Stefan Petrucha
Other authors:Sho Murase
Info:Papercutz (2005), Paperback, 96 pages
Collections:Read 2012-2013

Nancy Drew #01: The Demon of River Heights by Stefan Petrucha

Nancy Drew and her best friends George and Bess are helping some film students make a horror movie when the filmmakers disappear. Could it be that the monster they were trying to film is real??

As a child, I absolutely LOVED Nancy Drew mysteries. I probably read every single one of them, including the Hardy Boys crossover ones. So I was super excited to see a new version of those books -- now as a graphic novels -- for a younger generation. However, I was then super disappointed with the actual product.

I don't know if it's that the original Nancy Drew books weren't good and I just didn't realize because I was a small child, but this book was awful. The mystery was easier to solve than a Scooby Doo one, the characters were flat and one-dimensional, and Nancy's narration (including the references to technology) was dull and didactic. The illustrations weren't much to write home about either. This is the first in the series, and I don't intend on picking up any others. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | May 12, 2017 |
Very light on plot. Nancy stumbles onto the solution.

I hated the way Bess was drawn. Bess was drawn with large chest, tiny waist. She was described in the old books as very pretty and slightly plump, not some sex idol. ( )
  nx74defiant | Apr 30, 2017 |
Nancy, Bess and George search for missing student filmmakers and discover the deadly secret behind the local urban myth known as "The Demon of River Heights."
  lkmuir | Dec 7, 2015 |
I decided to pick this up since I've always loved reading Nancy Drew mysteries however this graphic novel version just didn't do well for me. The characters were barely introduced, the scenes constantly changed without any flow between one another, and just the storyline in general was hard to follow.
Graphic novels are something I really enjoy reading, unfortunately this one was not put together very well. ( )
  MirandaR18 | Jan 4, 2015 |
Grade 5-8. Carolyn Keene's classic girl detective, Nancy Drew, is back in a new series of graphic novels. Although the story is updated with pop culture references and the latest technological gadgets, Nancy and her friends are just as gutsy as ever. In this story, Nancy uncovers the truth behind the "Demon of River Heights" and a sinister plot in the process. Bright colors and fast-paced action keep readers flipping pages, but the unrealistic female body images are disappointing. Additionally, Nancy is not smart and quick-witted as one might like, and her detective skills rely more on technologically-connected friends, bold hunches, and sheer luck than on her own abilities. This is an entertaining read for mystery or graphic novel fans--especially reluctant readers--but Petrucha's Nancy Drew doesn't sparkle. Additional Selection. ( )
  LeafingLight | Nov 28, 2012 |
Older readers might find the reliance on coincidence too predictable, but younger ones will likely get lost in the adventure. For them, Nancy and her friends are cool in the way they do outrageous things light-heartedly.

"Join Nancy Drew, along with Bess and George, as they search for missing student filmmakers and discover the deadly secret behind the local urban myth know as "The Demon of River Heights""--P. [4] of cover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,680,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible