The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round…

The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Carolyn Mackler

Member:dastevens
Title:The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things
Authors:Carolyn Mackler
Info:Candlewick (2005), Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:general fiction, rape, social issues/human rights, YA, unread

The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big, Round Things by Carolyn Mackler (2003)

English (87)  German (1)  All languages (88)
Narrated by Johanna Parker. 15-year-old Virginia Shreves is overweight and has few friends. This is in sharp contrast to the rest of her perfect, slender family: beautiful Anais, popular Bryan, successful therapist mom, and her dad. Virginia's best friend has moved to Walla Walla and Virginia has taken to fooling around with Froggy, a boy from her school. Then the news that perfect, popular Byron has date-raped a girl at college rocks the family. It upsets Virginia that the family refers only to "the girl" and "the situation" and cannot say out loud what happened. She's also upset that Byron, whom she once idolized, seems to be getting off fairly easy with his parents. Virginia embarks on moments of rebellion (including a visit to Seattle) that little by little free her from the expectations and stress that have shackled her. She also meets Annie, the girl Byron raped, and is inspired by Annie's attitude of not allowing Byron to have power over her.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
So I actually read this entire book on my 6.5 hour flight to Madrid over two weeks ago. Due to limited internet time I am just reviewing it now.

Virginia feels like the imperfect link in a perfect family. Her mom is a successful psychologist, her father is an executive and her siblings are skinny and hugely successful and popular in school. Virginia is chubby and while not friendless, not miss popularity either. Then Virginia's brother is accused of date rape and Virginia's world tilts while her family tries to deal and she tries to figure out how she feels about everything.

I loved watching Virginia stop listening to her mother and become her own person. I appreciated watching her develop a relationship with both her sister and her father. I also liked that not everything was entirely worked out for her brother at the end of the story. This was a great read for my plane ride. ( )

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

In the book "The Earth, My Butt, And other big Round Things" the main character is Virginia Shreves. She is in high school, and isn't the most popular girl in school. She describes her self as overweight and seems she has a low-self esteem. She has a best friend named Shannon but she moved schools and moved out of New York City, where Virginia lives. Virginia has a crush on a boy named Froggy Welsh. Virginia and Froggy mess around out of school, but they are not "boyfriend and girlfriend". Virginia's parents are hard working and successful. She has a older brother (Byron), and a older sister(Anais). Her sister is in the U.S. Peace Corps, and her mom is a adolescent psychologist, her dad is a high-powered software executive, and her brother lives in a dorm.

Froggy Welsh has made it up Virginia's shirt. School for Virginia is not going so great, she is a bit of a 'loner" in lunch because how her bestfriend Shannon moved away. So she over heard the "Bri-Girls" talking bad about her in the bathroom, although they do think Vigini's brother Byron is cute. So her self-esteem is even lower and she hates it even more that she is overweight. Froggy and her go deeper into they're messing arond thing. But her mother comes home early because of their Doctor's appointment that she forgot about, and Froggy hides under her bed. He listens to her and her mother talking about her overweight-ness. That is the reason why she's going to the doctor. Now she feels awkward with Froggy. The doctor feels she is healthy just she needs to lose weight. So Dr.Love puts her on a diet. After her diet is going well and Ms. Crowley makes her alittle bit more confident. Shannon makes new friends over in Walla Walla. Mr and Mrs Shreves get a phone call from the dean at Columbia College, and they find out Byron is accused of date rapeing a girl. Froggy wants to go to Walla Walla with Virginia to visit Shannon.

Virginia breaks her diet because all the drama and stress with Byron and his date-raping a girl from college thing. Byron gets suspended from school and has to move out of his dorm and go back and live with his parents. Virginia thinks its awkwad between them, and they don't talk much. Virginia breaks it off with Froggy because she doesn't have much time for their get togethers anymore. And plus now that Byron is back home he cant come over because Byron would say something. Shannon invites Virginia to Seattle for Thnaksgiving, but Virginia's parents don't want to allow her because theres to much chaos with the Byron date-raping thing.

Virginia's dad and Byron go off to the Yanke Stadium to watch a game. Byron Has a lawyer for his Date-rapeing case. Her mother is now starting to cook, and she hasnt cooked fo many years. Virginia's parents havent gone to their golf tournanents lately. Ever since Byron has been home, Virginia's dad has been drinking alot lately. Virginia's parents are allowing Byron to go off to Paris for Thanksgiving, and she doesnt think its fair, because she wants to go to Seattle with Shannon. Its Halloween and Virginia still hasnt talked to Froggy, althoug in the auditorium she spots im, and hes talking to some other girl named Sarah. She gets a bit jealous. Froggy won an award that day.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0763620912, Paperback)

"The heroine’s transformation into someone who finds her own style and speaks her own mind is believable — and worthy of applause." — PUBLISHERS WEEKLY

Fifteen-year-old Virginia Shreves has a larger-than-average body and a plus-size inferiority complex, especially when she compares herself to her slim, brilliant, picture-perfect family. But that’s before a shocking phone call — and a horrifying allegation — about her rugby-star brother changes everything. With irreverent humor and surprising gravity, Carolyn Mackler creates an endearingly blunt heroine who speaks to every teen who struggles with family expectations, and proves that the most impressive achievement is to be true to yourself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:04 -0400)

Feeling like she does not fit in with the other members of her family, who are all thin, brilliant, and good-looking, fifteen-year-old Virginia tries to deal with her self-image, her first physical relationship, and her disillusionment with some of the people closest to her.… (more)

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763619582, 0763620912

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,840,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible