King of Paine by Larry Kahn

King of Paine

by Larry Kahn

207515,329 (4.05)None

This is a novel for adults and if you are squeamish about the realm of BDSM it might not be for you. That said, however, the novel is not about BDSM - although it does play a part in this story of an ex-Hollywood-actor-turned-FBI agent, the woman he did wrong, and a conscienceless murderer who needs to be caught.

Larry Kahn follows the formula of a good suspense novel - he doles out little bits of clues that keep you hanging on and wanting to keep reading until you have solved the riddles he has created along with his characters.

I thoroughly enjoyed this.
  ABShepherd | May 15, 2013 |
Frank Paine is far from your typical FBI Special Agent. An ex-Hollywood stud, he’s on a mission to clean up his act and make up for his wrong doings. Sometimes, however, it’s hard to take the actor out of the agent.

The newest member of the FBI’s Atlanta Field Office, Paine’s world takes a hard hit when an e-mail comes in. The Innocent Images Unit, a small team of cyber agents, is working to catch a suspected pedophile, but the e-mail is directed at Paine. It uses phrases from his dark past that only one person knows and it’s the one person Paine has wronged the most.

The agents, acting on information in the e-mail, are drawn into a world of BDSM - bondage, dominance, submission and masochism. It’s a world where Paine’s alter-ego ruled and if he’s not careful, all of his kinky secrets are going to be revealed or get him killed.

KING OF PAINE is filled with suspense, intrigue and murder. It’s a fast-pace adventure that will hold readers spellbound. The writing is smooth and flows easily from one scene to the next.

Author Larry Kahn has created interesting characters with flaws that make them realistic. Kahn takes readers into the cyber world showing bits of the darker side. He also looks at how far some people would go to hold on to their youth.

Paine takes on his sorted past and finds a new beginning.

Author Larry Kahn’s website is http://www.larrykahn.com.

King of Paine, A Suspense Novel by Larry Kahn, North Atlanta Press, @2011, ISBN: 9780983760122, Paperback, 368 Pages

FTC Full Disclosure - This book was sent to me by the author as part of a blog tour in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review. ( )
1 vote MasonCanyon | Dec 21, 2011 |
Article first published as Book Review: King of Paine by Larry Kahn on Blogcritics.

The internet offers a cloak of invisibility, a chance to be someone you are not. But the cloak doesn’t really offer the safety of anonymity. It only hides the bearer for a short time, and the consequences of being de-cloaked are often much worse than one would think.

In King of Paine by Larry Kahn, we are taken into the back stages of internet chat rooms, in an effort to find a killer. Frank Paine is not just a newbie FBI agent; he is also an ex-Hollywood actor, and a man with a dark and secret past. When he finds himself dragged back into the games of his past, by a stalker who seems quite aware of his indiscretions from his recent and erotic past, Paine must find a way to delve into the darkness one more time, in an effort to snare a killer.

Knowing he must find forgiveness from the only woman he has ever loved, Frank is unnerved when he finds that she is a suspect. Can he prove her innocence? In an effort to solve the crime before anyone else is murdered, Frank must develop some trust in his new job. Sharing a bit of his past with one of the agents, Frank is able to set up a chat to lure the killer out of hiding. When his agent friend is killed in Frank’s apartment, while Frank is in the other room, he realizes he is now in the killers sights. As he continues to look for ways to assure Jolynn’s innocence, she too is dragged into the dangerous game of cat and mouse. Can he save her before it is too late, or is she truly the killer after all?

Kahn has written a thriller with teeth. His characters are quite jaded and yet also very likable. They have their flaws as well as their dark side. Kahn delves into the internet chat rooms like a pro and drags you along for the ride. Frank Paine is a strong character, yet he has to prove himself to the very people he works with. Having made mistakes in his life, he understands why his credibility is not as strong as he would like it. Known for his acting, his new job puts him at a disadvantage with those who have a more realistic past. Having been instrumental in his own girlfriends down fall and down word slide from the business, he struggles to find his way back into her life. He is charismatic and dangerous with a rebelliousness that draws you in.

Jolynn is a beautiful and sassy counterpart, smart but very angry and hurt at Frank’s lack of action when she needed him the most. The heat between them sizzles and her knack of internet game playing brings her into the picture in a way that becomes very dangerous. When all clues begin to point at Jolynn and her past, Frank finds himself trying to direct the traffic. Is she the killer or the target of the killer? Frank must find the answers before it is too late.

Within and weaved throughout the book are issues that are also twisted into the work, those that deal with death and dignity. There is a story behind the story and yet entwined, twisting the reader in directions unimagined.

I would recommend this book for those who enjoy a good thriller. Be prepared for vicarious and sexual game playing and role playing. The forays into the internet are well thought out and just a bit creepy, and the thrill of the chase is what draws you in. Technology and medicine set the backdrop to this work, and the context of meaning leaves you wondering. Kahn as done an excellent job with red herrings, and the twists and machinations of the killer send you in directions you never see coming.

This book was received free from the author. All opinions are my own based off my reading and understanding of the material. ( )
  wrighton-time | Dec 12, 2011 |
I finished Larry's new book "King of Paine" last night. I will have to say it is an amazing book. I really enjoyed reading it. Larry has wrote a wonderful book with well developed characters with a very interesting plot. Beware this review may contain spoilers.

The book starts out with an ex-actor that has completed his training at Quantico. Frank Paine is a rookie agent new to the job and everything about law enforcement. He learns that life in law enforcement is totally different than law enforcement life on the big screen.

Paine is contacted by email about a man that is a pedophile. Paine later learns that is not the truth. He learns that he is being used by the UNSUB to get something. It is a long road for Paine. His girlfriend (who he hurt very badly) is kidnapped, his new boss is murdered in his apartment, and there are a couple of other murders. But Paine manages to over come everything and figure out who the UNSUB actually is.

This is a great story with the FBI involved. I will admit I have not read many book about the FBI but this one was great. Larry also has a great price on the book since he self published the book. I support him in his efforts and will purchase his past book "The Jinx" and any other books he published in the future.

Larry will be an author to watch with his style of writing and the intriguing plot. ( )
  kybunnies | Dec 10, 2011 |
Frank Paine was a Hollywood A-list leading man until he let the woman he loved deal with a BDSM scandal in the news on her own, thereby destroying her career and saving his. The guilt got to him, so he ended up leaving Hollywood and joining the FBI in an effort to bring justice to the world. His first case in the Rainbow Squad, however, involves not child rape or molestation but adult, BDSM style rape-by-proxy, and his ex-girlfriend is a suspect. Meanwhile, a former Pulitzer Prize winning journalist who's been drowning his sorrows in alcohol finds himself swept up into the life of Angela del Rio and and discovering rumors of a place called The River.

While Kahn crafts and builds suspense well and smoothly integrates the chat room sessions with the real life dialogue, he does not write women well. Although the women are the ones being raped, beaten, and kidnapped, they still come across as one-dimensional characters. It's a classic whore or angel dichotomy present throughout.

Similarly, I was ultimately disappointed with who the perpetrator of the crime ultimately is. Without spoiling it, suffice to say the choice is stereotypical, bordering on racist. It was a choice lacking in creativity or sensitivity.

Overall, although the suspense reeled me in, the content of the story left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I suppose if you want a junk food style suspense, or if the negatives I pointed out wouldn't bother you, you may enjoy this book. Those looking for thought-provoking, realistic suspense should look elsewhere, however.

Check out my full review: http://wp.me/pp7vL-DS (Link will be live on December 16, 2011). ( )
  gaialover | Dec 8, 2011 |
“…an enticing combination of spy thriller and romance with a dose of intrigue, highly recommended.”
added by LarryKahn | editMidwest Book Review (Nov 1, 2011)

"Larry Kahn has managed to create a cast of unforgettable characters, throwing in a bit of sex and misadventure, while infusing it with legal, moral, and ethical dilemmas. To say that I thought the King of Paine was brilliantly written would be an understatement. I sat down to read the book in the morning and was unable to put it down until I read the very last page!" -The Write To Make A Living

"The writing is perfect...Plus, that plot? Holy hell! I never could have seen the twists and turns coming."
-Owl Tell You About It

"...a roller coaster ride of who done it, oops, no they didn't. But it's not just that, the story makes you think and ask yourself some really important questions." -
Forbidden Reviews

A desperate patient.

A rumored cure.

How far would you go to save your own life?

King of Paine is a sexy, fast-paced suspense novel filled with characters who grapple with a range of intriguing end-of-life issues while everything they care about is at stake. The story follows two investigations, Special Agent Frank Paine's pursuit of a stalker committing a series of kinky Internet crimes and a reporter tracking the disappearance of wealthy senior citizens across the nation. Both paths lead to a hidden enclave where a brilliant biochemist harbors a deadly secret. Somebody is going to die there, and it may be Frank Paine's soulmate. Or him.

Readers who liked The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo or the novels of Greg Iles will enjoy settling in with King of Paine for a sexy, thought-provoking ride.

"I have to admit I've heard the comparison between The Girl and the Dragon Tattoo and King of Paine and in my opinion, Kahn is better. I was never bored, in fact I hung onto every word in this story." -
Boekie's Book Reviews

"King of Paine is a tautly written, absorbing page-turner. I usually can guess the ending to a police procedural by about the third chapter.  This is not the case with Mr. Kahn's wonderful new book...I highly recommend this book." -
Hampton Reviews

"I seriously think King of Paine is the most canny and intelligent suspense piece I've ever read...It is a medical  suspense and legal thriller and contemporary literary sex propaganda all rolled into one. It is [expletive deleted] fantastic, not only for its stunning depth and complexity, but for its all-encompassing message that love, even when all hope is lost, shall prevail, but only if you really try, and only if you are willing to sacrifice all you have now and all you worked for in the past, to make it work out...This book will become your newest obsession as well as your biggest nightmare." -Miraculous!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:11 -0400)

Larry Kahn is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,494,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible