Gray Justice (Tom Gray #1) by Alan McDermott

Gray Justice (Tom Gray #1) (edition 2011)

by Alan McDermott

Series: Tom Gray (1)

Member:twitham
Title:Gray Justice (Tom Gray #1)
Authors:Alan McDermott
Info:Smashwords (2011), Kindle Edition, 217 pages
Collections:Your library, EBooks
Rating:**
Tags:novel, thriller, fiction, British

Gray Justice by Alan McDermott (Author)

Interesting premise. Good action/thriller. Ending was predictable about 1/2 way through though.

Overall good enough that I am interested in reading the next volume in the grey series at some point. ( )
  dham340 | May 10, 2015 |
I have to admit I put off reading this for the longest time because the reviews are all over the place with ratings from 1 to 5. But it sounded good and I'm glad I finally read it. I was hooked right away and glued to my seat from the get-go. This was a can't-put-down page-turner. Certainly, it's a vigilante anti-hero vengeance story with a highly unlikely scenario and belief has to be suspended to enjoy it. The better title would have been "Gray Vengeance". I won't critique it as I could go on about what was wrong with the logic of the plot, the dialogue, the writing, etc. But in all honesty and reality, I didn't care. I loved it!!! I didn't like Tom Gray, he is morally ambiguous and not even relativistic as he knows he's doing wrong but doesn't care and thinks if he can get through the loopholes then so what. But I will definitely be returning for book 2 (which I have) as the ending was intriguing and I would love to go another round with this testosterone filled action-adventure political thriller series. Sometimes books are just a heck of a lot of fun! ( )
  ElizaJane | Apr 13, 2015 |
Book 1, in the Tom Gray series

This is a fast-paced, action packed thriller with lots gun battles, explosions and inevitably lots of death. “Gray Justice” is one of those books hard to break away from while reading.

The story unfolds as Tom Gray, a military veteran and proprietor of a security industry loses his only child at the hands of a car thief who is a repeat offender. Consequently unable to cope with the death, his wife took her own life. Tom’s world now chattered after losing everything he loved so deeply decides to teach the justice system a lesson….The drama tells what happens when his son’s killer goes free and the ways he takes to appease his mind. His crusade attracts instant worldwide media attention….and as readers we are in the middle of a rollercoaster ride….

This story is far more than a tale of revenge and your typical good-guy wins and bad guy loses mystery. While reading I couldn't help but to question the justice system, one that gives community service to repeat offenders or simply let them go. This book is tough with occasional swear words and some of the scenes are quite violent. Told in the third person viewpoint was a brilliant choice by letting the reader be part in the drama and guessing the outcome. Well I wasn't very good at it and missed more often than I would have liked…than again isn't it what a great thriller supposed to do, “Gray Justice” did not miss a beat and did that beautifully. In thrillers it is usually easy to suspect what the ending is going to be, impossible with this one….

The main plot is strong with no excess details and is much focussed on its theme. There is also the mandatory sub-plot where a real terrorist organisation takes an active role in the drama. This is so similar to reading a season of 24, unbelievably action packed…

Cool, calm and calculated may describe the protagonist, a bit of a credibility stretch found here but again what is a thriller without characters out of the ordinary, we love James Bond after all why not Tom Gray….

Mr. McDermott debut thriller is a real page turner superbly written to fuel our interest in the subsequent additions….Well-done. ( )
  Tigerpaw70 | Mar 13, 2014 |
Absolutely stunning story. Fast action with an explosive conclusion. First rate. ( )
  imyknott | Jan 17, 2014 |
Excellent fun, this: no-nonsense ex-SAS man goes renegade in hyper-well-planned vigilante operation. Unimpeachable motive, tough line in cold vengeance, all tools, hardware and software at fingertips, months spent on pat answers to all awkward questions, loyal band of friends to help. Success of mission guaranteed.

Short sentences. Action. Gripping stuff. Very blokeish, very butch. Grrr.

Don't know much about art, but know what I like; as books for non-readers go, and sometimes I'm one of them, this is grrreat! Literature's very own Expendable.

Really enjoyed it. Now off to read a proper book. ( )
  jtck121166 | Jul 13, 2013 |

ADVENTURE / THRILLER. When a father loses his son to a career criminal, revenge just isn't enough. When ex-soldier Tom Gray loses his wife and child to a career criminal, it seems life can't get much worse. But when the killer is let off with time served on remand, Gray knows there is something fundamentally wrong with the justice system. Engaging the help of his ex-SAS buddies, he kidnaps five repeat offenders and asks the public to vote on their fate: Should they be allowed to continue their criminal ways with inadequate punishment, or has Britain had enough? His website attracts a worldwide audience and, although the authorities know where he is, they are powerless to stop him. Can Gray carry out his audacious plan? Will Andrew Harvey and his fellow MI5 operatives find a way to stop him? Gray Justice is more than a simple tale of revenge: it's a rollercoaster ride with an ending you?ll never forget.… (more)

1 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,974,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible