Det syvende barn by Erik Valeur

Det syvende barn (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Erik Valeur

Member:postergaard
Title:Det syvende barn
Authors:Erik Valeur
Info:[Kbh.] Gyldendals Bogklubber 2011
Rating:*****

The Seventh Child by Erik Valeur (2011)

Recently added bymiet, LarryMicheli, amyfibre, solfjo, tennwisc, butros, RobDW, private library, KlausBJ, jpasek

English (3)  Danish (3)  Dutch (2)  All languages (8)
Mystery set in Denmark and involves seven children who were all placed in an orphanage in 1961. ( )
  Kristelh | Apr 28, 2014 |
Too long, needs editing down. ( )
  mamamork | Apr 3, 2014 |
As a reader, I always want to love a book. I certainly don't start a novel with the hopes that it will bore me to tears. But this one nearly did just that.

This story is endless, and not in a good way. There are pages upon pages of nothing happening. Somewhere within it all I'm fairly sure there is a decent plot, though the sheer excess of words left me floundering for some reason to continue this torturous event.

The narration keeps us at a distance, as if we're being told this story by someone who heard someone else telling another person what happened. I never felt connected to the characters. Despite what should have been dramatic material, I didn't feel the emotion.

There are a lot of characters and not a lot of rhyme or reason to the way it's all presented. By the midway point, I thought the weight of the words would crush me into nothingness. I'm sure there is something here to love; I just couldn't find that something. ( )
  Darcia | Mar 10, 2014 |
It must remain a secret how I uncovered the new and hitherto unknown information in the case that became known as the Kongslund Affair.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,246,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible