Batman: Gates of Gotham by Scott Snyder

Batman: Gates of Gotham

by Scott Snyder, Kyle Higgins (Story, Dialogue), Trevor Mccarthy (Illustrator), Ryan Parrott (Dialogue)

This is sorta for Batman like The Kents is for Superman. We get to see the background of the building of Gotham City. Of course, we also get to meet the Architect of the city, and that works out less well (things explode, a lot of things).

I liked this TPB a lot. It had two distinct stories, aht past one, and the present one, and both were done really well and fit really well together as well.

I also really liked the art for the most part. There was only one niggling thing that got on my nerves a bit, all the guys in the 'Batman Family' pretty much looked the same, or where drawn the same. It made it hard to decipher Bruce from Richard from Tim or any other guy. FO course, the masks helped, and at least the black haired females looked different. Still, even with that problem, overall a good TPB. ( )
  DanieXJ | Oct 23, 2014 |
Gates of Gotham finally provides an origin story for something that's been in every issue of Batman -- Gotham City! Snyder and Higgins provide an intriguing history of how the city came to be and the powerful families like Wayne and Cobblepot who helped build it.

The emphasis on Batman's extended family of sidekicks and the story's tie-in to Batman Inc., which places Dick Grayson as Batman, could make this story a trifle confusing for Batman fans who haven't followed recent storylines closely. However, the heart of the story -- the history of Gotham -- should be accessible to all readers.

I had mixed feelings on the artwork. The architecture looks great as you'd hope it would in a story about a city. However, some of the character work was a bit too loose and cartoony for my likes. ( )
  wethewatched | Sep 24, 2013 |
Much of this story takes place in the 1890s, allowing the artist to play around with steampunk and Victorian design elements in the world of Alan Wayne (Bruce's great-grandfather?). Alan is an industrialist and civic visionary, and his plans for Gotham have a direct bearing on the present-day when a mystery man begins targeting Gotham's civic landmarks.

Some aspects of this story may trip up newcomers. For example, Batman is Dick Grayson here, not Bruce Wayne. But as long as you don't let stuff like that bug you, there's a story here that touches on issues of wealth, civic management, the growth of urban America, and, as in any Batman story, madness, law enforcement, and urban decay. An understated but effective story. For Batman completists, the story establishing The Nightrunner as the "French Batman" in the "Batman, Inc." storyline is included as an afterword. ( )
  Brian.McGovney | Mar 30, 2013 |
My second Batman comic! There was a lot going on in the beginning and since I don't read a lot of Batman books, some character introductions would have been nice. Other than that the plot was full of twists and there were lots of things being slowly uncovered to give the reader the full story. I liked the artwork and the little bit of steampunk that was thrown in. ( )
  MichelleL_15 | Jul 17, 2012 |

Scott Snyderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Higgins, KyleStory, Dialoguemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mccarthy, TrevorIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Parrott, RyanDialoguemain authorall editionsconfirmed

"When a mystery as old as Gotham City itself surfaces, Batman assembles a team of his greatest detectives -- including Red Robin, Owlman, I-Ching and others -- to investigate this startling new enigma. As clues are discovered and the mystery deepens, Batman's team soon finds itself on a journey that explores different eras in Gotham's history and touches upon notable Gotham families including the Waynes, Kanes, and Elliotts."--Publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,365,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible