Love Is In The Hallways by RJ Scott

Love Is In The Hallways

by RJ Scott

Bring it on. 'Cause like it or
not, I'm bringing love into
these hallways"

Love is overflowing in here.
Coming out has never been
easy thing to do. With those
disgust and humiliation. But
seeing your favorite couple
conquering those shits.
Walking with no trace of fear
or shame but with pride
instead. That character's
development was so
empowering. Just ignore those
narrow-minded bastards and
be yourself. And also the full
support of their friends Dan
and Mitchell and Luke's
family was very
heartwarming. And of course
I haven't forgotten those hot
kisses and they were like:
"We did that" "We did" and I
was like: Yeah you did that
(and fainted again). ( )
  Perco | Oct 11, 2014 |
Considering I liked a lot the previous one, Love Is in the Title, there is no wonder I liked also this one; again, despite this being a short story, the feeling was of something bigger, of a whole novel concentrated in little more than 40 pages.

On the contrary of many coming of age stories, Love is in the Hallways is not a pink glasses/fairy tale perspective, there isn’t roses falling down around Luke and Cameron, and fellow students cheering at them like the next homecoming couple, there is instead ostracism from the usual suspects, and friendship from who was already best friend. Luke and Cameron don’t have an easy path in front of them, but high school is only a stage, college could be better and most important, they have the support of good friends and above all family. Happiness is possible and it’s just around the corner.

elisa.rolle | Sep 24, 2013 |
Love Is in the Hallways is the second novelette in RJ Scott's Love Is in the... young adult series which follows brand new teen sweethearts, Cameron, the captain of the football team, and Luke, a math geek. This is basically the next chapter in their relationship. In my opinion, there was less romance in this one than the first one. Cam and Luke only have a couple of scenes alone together, and only one in which they really talk and get close. Instead, the story mainly tackles the issue of bullying at the high school level, particularly of gay students. The kids at school have known for a long time that Luke is gay, but Cam just recently came out and most of his fellow teammates aren't taking it very well. Cam wants to walk down the hallways holding hands and letting it be known that he and Luke are boyfriends, but past experiences with bullying make Luke reluctant. He'd rather keep their relationship on the low-down until they graduate, but he can't quite bring himself to explain his reasoning and feelings on the subject to Cam which leads to some mild friction between them. It didn't quite feel like there was as much of a wrap-up to this story either. As with real life, there are no hard and fast answers for Cam and Luke. It ends on more of a tacit agreement that they will be there for each other no matter what and that their respective best friends, Dan and Mitchell, will back them up and help protect them from the bullies. I really liked how supportive Dan and Mitchell were even though both of them appear to be straight, and that Luke's mom is there for him too. It looks like the bullying storyline will continue with the next novelette in the series, Love Is in the Message, so maybe there will be more of a resolution there.

Overall, Love Is in the Hallways was a pretty enjoyable read even though I would have liked a little more romance. This is probably one of the more sensual young adult stories I've read. Cam and Luke graduate from the sweet, tentative kisses of the first story to a passionate make-out session, including high sexual tension and sexual contact, though fully clothed. There is also some fairly strong language. I was slightly disappointed that the technical aspects of the writing didn't appear to be as strong as in the first two RJ Scott books I read. Some of the narration didn't seem to flow as nicely as it could have, and I detected a number of typos such as missing words. Both could be a little distracting, because I was putting effort into figuring out what was meant rather than immersing myself in the story. I didn't feel it was bad enough to warrant taking off more than the one star, and like I said before, it was a pretty good story anyway. I'll be looking forward to seeing what happens for these two young men next. ( )
  mom2lnb | Jul 18, 2013 |
"For my family."
"This is stupid."

RJ Scott is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,243,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible