Stay Close by Harlan Coben

Stay Close (edition 2012)

by Harlan Coben

Member:DavidKessler
Title:Stay Close
Authors:Harlan Coben
Info:Dutton Adult (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:***

Stay Close by Harlan Coben

English (35)  Dutch (4)  All languages (39)
Pretty solid thriller, really fun to read and fast-paced, but I listened to the audiobook version, and only later found out that it is an "abridged" version, which means it's missing a lot of information, especially about the Ken and Barbie killers. It still works, but it kind pisses you off. ( )
  tabascofromgudreads | Apr 19, 2014 |
This was the first book that I have ever read of his but I will definitely read more. I have said this before about other books but it is like a good episode of Law & Order with good twists and just when you think it you have it figured out you realize you don't. I LOVE that!
  Swade0710 | Mar 20, 2014 |
Megan is a suburban soccer mom who once upon a time walked on the wild side. Now she's got two kids, a perfect husband, a picket fence, and a growing sense of dissatisfaction. Ray used to be a talented documentary photographer, but at the age of forty he finds himself in a dead-end job posing as a paparazzo, pandering to celebrity-obsesed rich kids. Broome is a detective who can't let go of a cold case - a local husband and father who disappeared seventeen years ago - and spends the anniversary every year visiting a house frozen in time, the missing man's family still waiting, his slippers left by the recliner as if he might show up at any moment to step into them. Three people living lives they never wanted, hiding secrets that even those closest to them would never suspect, will find that the past never truly fades away. ( )
  jepeters333 | Mar 6, 2014 |
Maybe a testament to how good this book is: although I've been going through turmoil lately, I was able to read this book. Most of us find it difficult to concentrate on a book during bad times. But in this case, I could.

Typical of a Harlan Coben novel, STAY CLOSE doesn't make the reader wait long for suspense. It's a simpler story than his usually are, though. His five-star books are more complex. ( )
  techeditor | Mar 4, 2014 |
So, normally, I like Harlen Coben as an audio read in the car, to help keep me company while driving (and with my hands on the steering wheel, I can't bit my nails.) However, two things happened this time. Early into the book, my car CD player got cranky and stopped working. This was not a hardship because I took the book inside, and then the second "thing" occurred - I had to start packing our library for our move at the end of February. So win! I finished up the book while emptying 7 bookcases.

As to the story, a pretty good one. I liked the characters this time round and there were a couple of interesting twists and diversions. I didn't form speculations as to "who done it" because my mind wandered recalling the plots of books I was packing. But, I still followed closely enough to this one to give it a thumbs up. ( )
  bookczuk | Feb 1, 2014 |
Well now everything dies, baby that's a fact. But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back. - Bruce Springsteen, "Atlantic City"
This one is for Aunt Diane and Uncle Norman Reiter and Aunt Hene and Uncle Marty Kromberg, with love and gratitude.
Sometimes, in that split second when Ray Levine snapped a picture and lost the world in the strobe from his flashbulb, he saw the blood.

Harlan Coben follows four consecutive #1 New York Times bestsellers with a stand-alone thriller in the vein of his beloved breakout novels Caught and Hold Tight.

Megan is a suburban soccer mom who once upon a time walked on the wild side. Now she's got two kids, a perfect husband, a picket fence, and a growing sense of dissatisfaction. Ray used to be a talented documentary photographer, but at age forty he finds himself in a dead- end job posing as a paparazzo pandering to celebrity-obsessed rich kids. Jack is a detective who can't let go of a cold case-a local husband and father disappeared seventeen years ago, and Jack spends the anniversary every year visiting a house frozen in time, the missing man's family still waiting, his slippers left by the recliner as if he might show up any moment to step into them.

Three people living lives they never wanted, hiding secrets that even those closest to them would never suspect, will find that the past doesn't recede. Even as the terrible consequences of long-ago events crash together in the present and threaten to ruin lives, they will come to the startling realization that they may not want to forget the past at all. And as each confronts the dark side of the American Dream- the boredom of a nice suburban life, the excitement of temptation, the desperation and hunger that can lurk behind even the prettiest facades- they will discover the hard truth that the line between one kind of life and another can be as whisper-thin as a heartbeat.

With his trademark combination of page-turning thrills and unrivaled insight into the dark shadows that creep into even the happiest communities, Harlan Coben delivers a thriller that cements his status as the master of domestic suspense.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:29 -0400)

Three people--a suburban housewife, a talented documentary photographer, and a detective--living lives they never wanted, hiding secrets that even those closest to them would never suspect, will find that the past doesn't recede ... and that desperation and hunger can lurk behind even the prettiest facades.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible