As Consciousness Is Harnessed to Flesh:…

As Consciousness Is Harnessed to Flesh: Journals and Notebooks, 1964-1980 (2012)

by Susan Sontag

Ordinarily I like reading journals and diaries, and Sontag's journals lend themselves well to browsing. However, her own comments about "notebook thinking," and aphorisms apply here. I got the sense that even in her private journal, Sontag is alternately talking down to readers or expecting us to keep up in a sort of intellectual obstacle course. (I don't actually know if she intended these for publication, and if she didn't then it would obviously change my view of what she's written here.) But I marked dozens of passages for further thought and discussion. There's some good thinking here, even if you don't come to the same conclusions that she did. ( )
  pshaw | Apr 7, 2016 |
I love reading the lists and connections and seeing the creative process of an amazing mind. But there's a lot of naval-gazing (of course, it is a journal anthology) that makes me queasy. I'm about 375 pages in, and I need to take a break. But I will come back at some point. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 30, 2013 |

This, the second of three volumes of Susan Sontag’s journals and notebooks, begins where the first volume left off, in the middle of the 1960s. It traces and documents Sontag’s evolution from fledgling participant in the artistic and intellectual world of New York City to world-renowned critic and dominant force in the world of ideas with the publication of the groundbreaking Against Interpretation in 1966.

As Consciousness is Harnessed to Flesh follows Sontag through the turbulent years of the 1960s—from her trip to Hanoi at the peak of the Vietnam War to her time making films in Sweden—up to 1981 and the beginning of the Reagan era. This is an invaluable record of the inner workings of one of the most inquisitive and analytical thinkers of the twentieth century at the height of her power. It is also a remarkable document of one individual’s political and moral awakening.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:43 -0400)

A second volume of journals shares intimate reflections on the writer's artistic and political development during a trip to Hanoi at the peak of the Vietnam War and throughout her film-making years in Sweden before the dawn of the Reagan era.

Legacy Library: Susan Sontag

Susan Sontag has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Susan Sontag's legacy profile.

See Susan Sontag's author page.

28 wanted2 pay1 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,136,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible