Haunted on Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun…

Haunted on Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun Series: Book 1) (edition 2011)

by Deanna Chase

2006356,238 (3.72)6
Member:Scoshie
Title:Haunted on Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun Series: Book 1)
Authors:Deanna Chase
Info:Bayou Moon Publishing (2011), Kindle Edition, 253 pages
Rating:***1/2

Haunted on Bourbon Street by Deanna Chase (Author)

Haunted on Bourbon Street introduces Jade Calhoun in a well thought out manner. A new transport to New Orleans, Jade finds that her apartment over a coffee shop and strip club is haunted. As the story progresses, Jade finds out more about herself as well as the supernatural around her. It combines everything from witches, ghosts, empaths, and even angels to bring New Orleans and all the tales you hear of it to life. In a fast pace finale, Jade must utilize her own inner gifts to save the day and that she does.

This book was suggested to me while I was looking for something similar to the Southern Vampire Mysteries. Luckily for me, it was free on Amazon and immediately loaded to my Kindle. I have two faults with this book, so I'll go ahead and get them out of the way.

As so many other leading women in stories as of late, Jade struggles to see her own beauty. And she's absolutely dumbfounded that her landlord has any interest in her. It's constantly reiterated about how hunky and hot this said landlord is. And it isn't until they get together that she perceives herself as beautiful, and only then worthy. I dislike that mentality so much.

My second annoyance was with the speed of the story. As I said, the ending is very fast paced. The start up of the book is very slow. A lot of time is devoted to world building, which I do appreciate. The book was able to make me feel like I was in the midst of New Orleans on numerous occasions. But the pace was slowed because of this until bam! There's everything you've been waiting for in the span of a few pages. I wish more time and detail would have been devoted to the finale to flesh it out more and give the reader a more immersing experience.

All of that aside, it is a very good and quick read. Deanna Chase knows how to make you feel like a part of her story. And I love how she built her characters so well. Even with the minor characters, I felt like I connected with them. If you enjoy paranormal mysteries with a sprinkle of romance, this will definitely satiate your needs.

I will definitely be recommending this book. Though it's a quick read, it's a brilliant introduction into the Jade Calhoun series. I cannot wait to continue following Jade's adventures! ( )
  Kristen11 | Nov 25, 2013 |
Oh, I DO love me some N'awlins! And I can say that, cause even though I am in Colorado, I still have that old south in my blood. Deanna takes you there, introduces you to the people and atmosphere, and leads you into a modern day ghost tale that will light up your reading life!

Ghosts, great gal-pals, a sweet romance, this one has all the good stuff. Read! Read! Highly recommended. ( )
  Leiahc | May 4, 2013 |
The first in the Jade Calhoun series and full of fun characters and interesting events dotting the landscape of the overall story.

Jade moves to New Orleans from Boise at the urging if her best friend Kat. Never mind that Kat 'forgot' to mention that not only was Jade's ex boyfriend Dan living in New Orleans as well, but that he was living with Kat, as her boyfriend.

Jade moves into a small, supposedly haunted apartment above a coffee shop & strip club, all of which happen to be owned by the drop dead gorgeous Kane, and populated with a great cast of characters; Pyper, Kane's best friend since college, Charlie, the bi-sexual bartender at the strip club, and Molly, another waitress at the cafe, too name a few.

In her search for a way to 'cleanse' her supposedly haunted apartment Jade goes into a New-Age/Spiritual shop looking for a smudge stick. It is here that she meets Bea, recognizing her almost instantly as being 'other' and most likely a witch. Despite that, she finds herself drawn to Bea in a positive way.

Since Jade's bead-making classes along don't pay all the bills, she takes a job in the coffee-shop, putting her on a collision course with the mouthwatering Kane. As soon as Jade gets settled she begins to have some pretty steamy dreams, but she can never see her partner. One night that all changes, as Kane moves into the starring role.

But Jade, who is an empath, and can feel the emotions of everyone around her, is very leery of starting any relationships, let alone one with her sexy landlord. Being an empath has caused her lots of grief - especially in relationships. To add to Jade's issues it is clear that Dan is still mad at Jade, so Kat is caught between the two, something Jade is well aware of. So she tries to steer clear of Kat to avoid putting her in an awkward situation. Sadly that makes Jade feel even more alone in New Orleans as she works to build a life for herself.

Soon that famous New Orleans 'atmosphere' is making itself known as a ghost in Jade's apartment. A ghost that scares Jade, particularly since she learns that Pyper is also being haunted each time she falls asleep. Too bad Pyper's hauntings aren't as erotic as Jade's, or as friendly.

The characters are fun, and feel as if they are your friends too, or at least would be your friends if you met them in real life. That special touch is what makes the story as compelling as it is, because you are drawn into the experiences with the different characters, giving the whole book a multi-layered feel which pulls you deeper and deeper in, along with the rest of the group.

Easily an enjoyable read, and one that leaves me wanting to know more. More about the past the each character alludes to, more about the unfolding relationships, and more about the paranormal experiences just around the corner, or in this case, the next page. ( )
  Isisunit | Mar 20, 2013 |
If you like romance then this novel is for you. I am a sucker for these types of books because you can put them down and come back with out losing the story. The story is a good one and the steamy romance scenes are worth a look but this like a lot of others makes me want to strangle the female leads. All in all a pleasant enough way to spend the day in the sun. ( )
  Scoshie | Feb 26, 2013 |
Jade just moved to New Orleans. She is working in a coffee shop attached to a strip club and lives in an apartment in back of both. Hot Kane is the owner of the club and Jade’s landlord. Although Jade was warned that there was a ghost in her apartment, she doesn’t think anything about it until a jar of body dust attacks her. Being an empath also gives her the insight that something is going on when she senses the ghost around her.

Things get really weird when Jade starts having intimate dreams with a stranger that later Kane starts staring in. But when Pyper and Jade start being attacked by the ghost, things get serious. Now Jade, Kane, Pyper, and Kat, Jade’s best friend, are going to try and stop the haunting. Ian, Kat’s friend is a ghost hunter and agrees to help but he has clearly met his match with Jade’s haunting. He doesn’t realize that Jade’s energy helps the ghosts become more active.

There is a lot more to this story than the short blurb I gave, but if I give too many details, I know I’m going to spoil it for the readers. I loved Jade. The poor girl had gone through hell with her empath abilities so you can understand how she is adamant about not telling others about her abilities. Kane was sexy and special in his own way. I loved when Jade was teaching the bead making classes.

I can’t really find anything that I didn’t like. It was a great story. I recommend this to those that like paranormal romance/mysteries. You won’t be disappointed. Now I need the next book. I can’t wait to see what Jade gets into next.

I received this book for free from the Library Thing Early Reviewer Program in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  jbronderblogs | Sep 20, 2012 |
There was no way I was sharing my new two-hundred-square-foot apartment with a ghost.

Jade loves her new apartment--until a ghost joins her in the shower.

Being an empath has never been easy on Jade's relationships. It's no wonder she keeps her gift a secret. But when the ghost moves from spooking Jade to terrorizing Pyper, the dancer, it's up to Jade to use her unique ability to save her. Except she'll need Kane's help--and he's betrayed her with a secret of his own--to do it. Can she find a way to trust him and herself before Pyper is lost?

Jade loves her new apartment-- until a ghost joins her in the shower. When empath Jade Calhoun moves into an apartment above a strip bar on Bourbon Street, she expects life to get interesting. What she doesn't count on is making friends with an exotic dancer, attracting a powerful spirit, and developing feelings for Kane, her sexy landlord. Being an empath has never been easy on Jade's relationships. It's no wonder she keeps her gift a secret. But when the ghost moves from spooking Jade, to terrorizing Pyper, the dancer, it's up to Jade to use her unique ability to save her. Except she'll need Kane's help--and he's betrayed her with a secret of his own--to do it. Can she find a way to trust him and herself before Pyper is lost?… (more)

Deanna Chase is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,541,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible