Jefferson's Sons by Kimberly Bradley

Jefferson's Sons

by Kimberly Bradley

It good read any one who likes history will like this book. ( )
  AudryS13 | Mar 28, 2014 |
A fictional account of how the lives of Jefferson's slave wife and children were treated while living at Monticello. The author states quite clearly that this fictional account is based on an exhaustive review of historical documents. However, since I listened to the audble version, I don't know if the book included a list of the historical resources. A good listen, and snippets of true history like the remodelling of Monticello to include underground storage and other rooms is quite interesting to anyone who has toured Jefferson's home. ( )
  33racoonie | Jan 25, 2014 |
In the notes at the end Bradley reminds the reader that this was a work of fiction and that for as much as we know about the people and the times there is an equal if not greater amount that we do not know. These statements were a big crash into reality which I had suspended during the reading with characters, dialogue and story so real I felt like I was there. Many thought-provoking statements throughout about what it meant to be a slave would make this a good choice for a book discussion group. ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
Read my forthcoming review in Book Page. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
This work of historical fiction is told from the point of view of Thomas Jefferson's illegitimate sons, who were also his slaves. Jefferson's relationship with his slave Sally Hemings was a secret everybody at Monticello knew. Told from the perspective of Jefferson's illegitimate sons, the boys struggle to reconcile their experience and observations of slavery with the man who wrote the Declaration of Independence, and is the father they can never acknowledge. A very compelling and important book, though I felt the last quarter or so (told, inexplicably, by another young slave) to be rushed and weaker than the powerful heart of the book.

Curriculum: this book would be an important addition to a unit studying early American history and American slavery.

Bradley, K. (2011). Jefferson’s sons. New York: Dial Books for Young Readers.
  AMQS | Jul 18, 2012 |

This title has been removed from sale by Penguin Group, USA.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:13 -0400)

A fictionalized look at the last twenty years of Thomas Jefferson's life at Monticello through the eyes of three of his slaves, two of whom were his sons by his slave, Sally Hemings.

10 wanted1 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,276,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible