Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie

Hallowe'en Party (1969)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (35)

English (61)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (65)
''The past is the father of the present.

The ''crime'' writers who write like Christie are few. The ones who try to write mysteries similar to her own are non-existent. I may sound harsh, but those who struggle to imitate her should take a step back and reconsider. And why is that? Because she understood, embraced and elevated to a whole new level the implications of the past when facing the present. As horrible as a present situation may be, the roots of all evil lie in the deeds of the past. This is present to every work of the Queen of Crime. In my opinion, ''Hallowe'en Party'' delivers this notion in a highly atmospheric manner and presents one of the most elaborate crimes Agatha ever delivered.

13 year old Joyce, a little busybody who wants to be in the centre of attention, is found murdered in a tub filled with apples, in a twisted apple-bobbing game on Halloween. Hercule and the wonderful Ariadne Oliver are called to solve the crime. In this work, sexual passion and obsession are the motives that guide each suspect and there is a plethora of fascinating stories of people attracted to beauty, vice and a twisted notion of love. Agatha creates a unique atmosphere, with prominent descriptions of the Halloween festivities, the beautiful garden, the temptations that guide the characters to questionable deeds. The snapdragon scene, a haunting game that isn't included in many works of Fiction, is among my favourites in all of Christie's novels and stories. Not to mention that I love Ariadne to pieces. I think she's an exciting character on her own and the proper equivalent to our beloved Hercule. And, naturally, the ITV film production was perfect, despite some deviations from the novel.

AmaliaGavea | Jul 15, 2018 |
'The past is the father of the present.

If you want to experience Halloween through Crime Fiction, don't look further. ''Hallowe'en Party'' is just what you want, with a healthy dose of good old British mystery. Can't get any more perfect than that... ( )
  AmaliaGavea | Jul 15, 2018 |
I'm a huge Agatha Christie fan and this book didn't disappoint. This book was a good who done it. Just when I thought I had it all figured out I was wrong. Definitely a must read. ( )
  Tiffy_Reads | Mar 19, 2018 |
Agatha Christie's Hallowe'en Party begins when Mrs. Ariadne Oliver is witness to a murder at a children's Halloween party. Fearing that there's more to the crime than the actions of a random maniac, Mrs. Oliver calls upon her friend Hercule Poirot, who slowly uncovers old crimes long-buried in the small village of Woodleigh Common. Christie brilliantly sets the mood in the story, with Poirot musing on the nature of criminality, the changing face of nature and beauty in autumn, and mythical allegory. Ariadne Oliver, a self-insertion on Christie's part, is a fun character and interacts well with Poirot. Many of the townspeople are also well-formed, such as Superintendent Spence, Miranda Butler, Michael Garfield, and Mrs. Goodbody. Each feels like a real person one might encounter in a small village in the countryside. The story makes for a delightful autumn read.
Christie published this book in 1969 and it features many references that clearly date it to the period, including characters' remarks upon the recent increase in crime among adolescents as well as references to L.S.D. As the final Poirot story, Curtain, takes place in the late 1940s or early 1950s, these references create a chronological issue for fans of the story, though not one that interferes with the story. This edition is a facsimile of the Collins Crime Club first edition. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Jan 22, 2018 |
Enjoyable read. I like mysteries where I can use the clues to figure out at least some of what happened! ( )
  carolfoisset | Jan 21, 2018 |

Thommessen, GunnarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van de Berg, AlbertPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van Kasteren, LambertCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To P. G. Wodehouse
whose books and stories have brightened my
life for many years. Also to show my pleasure
in his having been kind enough to tell me
that he enjoys my books
Mrs. Ariadne Oliver had gone with the friend with whom she was staying, Judith Butler, to help with the preparations for a children's party which was to take place that same evening.
(Judith Butler on teenage parties:) "Peculiar drugs and -- what do they call it? -- Flower Pot or Purple Hemp or L.S.D., which I always have thought just meant money, but apparently it doesn't."
"I suppose it costs it," suggested Ariadne Oliver.

From the back

The guests included ghoulies, ghosties, and long-leggedy beasties. But the scariest ingredient of the party was the little girl who claimed to have witnessed a murder.

Of course, no one believed her...until she was drowned that very night.

Now the great detective, Herule Poirot, must unmask the murderer amongst the things that go bump in the night...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425129632, Mass Market Paperback)

At a Hallowe'en party, Hercule Poirot aids mystery writer Ariadne Oliver in an investigation into the murder of a young girl-who may have witnessed a murder herself. But unmasking the killer proves more daunting than bobbing for apples.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:04 -0400)

A Hercule Poirot Mystery.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,013,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible