Me Before You: A Novel by Jojo Moyes

Me Before You: A Novel (original 2013; edition 2012)

by Jojo Moyes

"They had nothing in common until love gave them everything to lose Louisa Clark is an ordinary girl living an exceedingly ordinary life--steady boyfriend, close family--who has never been farther afield than their tiny village. She takes a badly needed job working for ex-Master of the Universe Will Traynor, who is wheelchair bound after a motorcycle accident. Will has always lived a huge life--big deals, extreme sports, worldwide travel--and now he's pretty sure he cannot live the way he is. Will is acerbic, moody, bossy--but Lou refuses to treat him with kid gloves, and soon his happiness means more to her than she expected. When she learns that Will has shocking plans of his own, she sets out to show him that life is still worth living. A Love Story for this generation, Me Before You brings to life two people who couldn't have less in common--a heartbreakingly romantic novel that asks, What do you do when making the person you love happy also means breaking your own heart? "--… (more)
Member:sereq_ieh_dashret
Title:Me Before You: A Novel
Authors:Jojo Moyes
Info:Pamela Dorman Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (2013)

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (treadsowell)
    The Things We Keep by Sally Hepworth (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both novels feature unconventional love stories
    All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews (Booktrovert)
    Booktrovert: Another novel which, at its core, is about an individual having power over their own right to choose their own death. AMPS has more development of the depth and strength of family, a more mature humour, and is beautifully written. A very memorable story that will take up space in your heart for quite some time.… (more)
    Out Of Play by Joy Norstrom (JacquelineAubin)
    JacquelineAubin: Funny, witty character blended with some serious true-to-life situations. Both clever woman's fiction.
    Good Kings, Bad Kings by Susan Nussbaum (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: young man's attempt to adjust to life as a quadriplegic
    Talk Before Sleep by Elizabeth Berg (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although Talk Before Sleep focuses on the strong bond between two lifelong friends, rather than the brief but emotionally intense relationship between a hired caregiver and her charge, both moving, character-driven novels confront the issue of mortality head-on, without sentimentality.… (more)

English (470)  German (6)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (3)  Icelandic (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (487)
Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.
What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.
Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.
What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.

I’m not an especially picky reader, but I tend to avoid romance and erotica books. It’s probably because I don’t yearn for that one great love (I already have it) and I don’t find erotica especially sexy (nothing beats the real thing). So, romance and erotica often don’t make it onto my must-read list. I have a few love stories I enjoy, and some I really want to read, like: Wuthering Heights, Lady Chatterley’s Lover, Gone with the Wind, and yes I do love me some Outlander. But in general, I’m not naïve enough (anymore) to be fooled into reading epic love stories.
That said, after I watched the movie trailer for Me Before You, starring Emilia Clark and Sam Claflin, I was uncharacteristically eager to see what the fuss was about. I mean, my book club (The Secret Book Club) has been praising this book for ages, and the trailer looked pretty sweet, so why not? I needed a good cry, you know?
The book took fourteen days to arrive, and by then I’d already watched the trailer a few (hundred) times. I’ve built up the story in my head, hoping the actual book wouldn’t let me down. There is, after all, nothing worse than spending hours upon hours reading a book you hate. And I was worried, because it’s a more contemporary love story, like: The Notebook and P.S. I Love You (both films I loved, but I avoided the books). So, I had no idea what to expect.
Imagine my surprise when I finished Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and found myself bawling my eyes out on the bed, feeling somehow robbed. It felt as though my whole world had crumbled, and why? WHY? Jojo Moyes built up this extraordinary, albeit unconventional, love story and we loved the characters and then BAM! She broke us apart, brick by brick. Honestly, I can’t remember the last time I felt so incredibly helpless thanks to a book. What’s more, I’m the most cynical person I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet – especially when it comes to love. I’m that practical a-hole who’s far more suited for being alone than being with someone … well, someone normal. So just imagine how this logical, cynical person just broke down over a book! I still struggle to believe it.
Me Before You is a must-read to any and all. The story is beautiful and tragic and memorable. The characters are beautiful and tragic and memorable. Actually, the whole book is beautiful and tragic and memorable. *sigh* One suggestion, though: Keep the Kleenex close when you’re reading, because you’re in for a world of big, fat, ugly tears.
  MoniqueSnyman | Oct 3, 2019 |
I'm hooked! Story flows well. I've watched the movie prior to reading, but now I want to watch it again since it's been a while. One time read for me. ( )
  veranaz22 | Sep 26, 2019 |
A lovely story. It's a beautiful, heartfelt romance without being sappy or cliche. It's also an interesting exploration into what it means to be physically disabled, and having the able bodied presuming to make decisions about what's best for those people.

It was just ok for the first half or so, and picked up after that. It really hits home in the last 20 pages or so. ( )
  adam.currey | Sep 17, 2019 |
Honestly, it was just as enchanting, moving, and heartbreaking as the film...and that's saying something because Hollywood does not always get it right!

I had high hopes for this one after my love affair with the film. I mean, I couldn't really see it being any better than it already was, but feeling the magic of the story, the connection of the characters, and weight of decisions made long ago by those that would forever stand firm...why, it was like reading a play by play of the theatrical production and yet still something more. Author Jojo Moyes does a wonderful job of giving the everything such intense emotional depth. When I read this one, it was so long after the storm-that-shall-not-be-named paused by rabid reading appetite. My mood had been down, life certainly not as rosy, but I actually laughed out loud when I was reading this one...most unexpectedly. There's a scene on page 67 that's really of no big consequence, but it just struck me as immensely funny and I just started laughing...it was my first since the storm, and a moment I won't forget. If you have a copy of this one, turn to that page and have yourself a giggle. Go ahead...

For fans of the author, this is definitely a book for you. For fans of the film, run out right now and grab yourself a copy. For newbies to this author's work, do yourself the favor and get acquainted because the heart that beats here is true, the feelings more complicated than you'd expect, and the outcome so much greater than the painful loss endured. Oh yes, there will be tears, but there is still the potential for love to come again.
1 vote GRgenius | Sep 15, 2019 |
Loved, loved, loved this book! Can't wait to discuss it at book club! ( )
  LizBurkhart | Sep 5, 2019 |
It’s a curious phenomenon that in this digital age — in which thoughts that once emerged quietly and gradually on paper have been overtaken by instantaneous visual and audio impressions that are swiftly taken in without really being absorbed — the rapt viewer sometimes needs to be jarred, slowed down and forced to look inward. In “Me Before You,” circumstances lead noncontemplative people to contemplation...Moyes’s heroine, if Lou can be so styled, may not be heroic; her male counterpart may be nobody’s idea of a leading man — and yet with Lou and Will she has created an affair to remember.

Moyes, Jojoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lindsay, OwenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Livestro, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lyons, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Charles, With Love
When he emerges from the bathroom she is awake, propped up against the pillows and flicking through the travel brochures that were beside his bed.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,997,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible