Undeadly (Reaper Diaries) by Michele Vail

Undeadly (Reaper Diaries)

by Michele Vail

I love books that are light and fun when dealing with dark topics, such as being a Reaper. Undeadly reminded me of The Mythos Academy Series. I loved the Egyptian Mythology that was brought into the story. I've seen Greek and Roman mythology in YA, but not Egyptian.

The plot is pretty faced paced. There aren't many dull moments. Molly is snarky and full of comebacks. That is a quality I like in some of my main characters. :D I love that the setting is in Vegas. A lot of out of the ordinary things happen there, so I don't think there is a better place for Molly to have grown up. I think Molly's friends at Nekyia are pretty awesome. They accept her and not her status. I want to hear more from Ally, Molly's sister. She's to the point and doesn't play games.

The book is written in Molly's point of view. Every once in a while we get a peek at her thoughts through her journal. I like that approach. You get to see the level of "Freaked Out" that she is at. Which is a lot with all the information that gets dumped on her.

After the way Undeadly ended, I'm anxious to read the sequel. I'm not sure how I feel about Mrs. Chiles, and want to know how she fits into everything. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
After Molly saves her boyfriend from death by capturing his soul (well most of it anyway), she is sent to the exclusive and extremely creeepy Nekyia Academy. It seems that Molly has an unusual combination of powers that puts her in a class all her own.

I really liked this book. The use of Egyptian mythology was new to me and I liked that. I liked Molly and her family. The kids at the school are fun and despite their powers are pretty normal. And beside that, they watch Dark Shadows marathons (I love that show). Left the story in a cliff-hanger. Can't wait ti see what happens. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | May 25, 2013 |
Undeadly is one of those books that when you look back in retrospective makes you wonder: why the hell did I like it? Especially since just a glance at the first sentence reminds me how horrible first person point-of-view narration by Molly was. She used phrases 'like', 'suckitude', 'crap' and other words that authors use to badly imitate teenage lingo. But although at first she was immensely annoying, Molly and her attitude grew on me and the urge to strangle her or yell at her that she is too stupid to live lessened as the world Michele Vail invented pulled me in.

One of the things that I liked is a setting. In an alternate version of Earth where necromancy is not just in fiction, we follow Molly as she struggles with her gift and tries to accept it. And I especially loved Nekyia Academy, private academy, which Molly ends up attending. The atmosphere had Hogwarts feel although with private room and personal servant you can't say Molly is just one of the crowd like Harry Potter.

Another thing that tipped the scales and made me enjoy Undeadly was huge amount of Egyptian mythology used. It's one of my weak spots and it's so rare to find a good book that features Egyptian gods in contemporary setting and with an interesting back-story. And Undeadly certainly had that.

With HUUUGE cliffhanger ending, Michele Vail definitely has me on the edge of my seat eagerly awaiting October 29th 2013 and sequel Unchosen to be published.

IN THE END...
If you like young adult paranormal novels and Egyptian mythology, then Undeadly might be the book you are looking for. But make sure to read the excerpt first before buying, because the style of narration will probably irritate some readers.

Disclaimer: I was given a free eBook by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. ( )
  bookwormdreams | Apr 10, 2013 |
review to post shortly. ( )
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 30, 2013 |

Shipped off to an elite school for necromancers after accidentally compromising the work of another reaper, zombie-raising teen Molly receives instruction from a hostile tutor and endeavors to revive her crush after a devastating accident, with unexpected consequences.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,879,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible