Plastic Ocean: How a Sea Captain's Chance…

by Charles Moore, Cassandra Phillips

In the summer of 1997, Charles Moore set sail from Honolulu for California after competing in a trans-Pacific race. When he and his crew took a shortcut through the seldom-traversed North Pacific Subtropical Gyre, a vast oceanic "desert" where winds are slack, Moore realized his ship was skimming through a plastic soup. He had stumbled upon the largest garbage dump on the planet, soon to be dubbed the Great Pacific Garbage Patch--where plastic outweighs zooplankton, the ocean's food base, by six to one. Here, Moore recounts his ominous findings and unveils the secret life and hidden properties of plastics. Moore includes us in his maritime exploits as he collects samples throughout the oceans, and in his struggle to get the world's attention about the oceans' plight. He describes how plastics gradually emerged as a planetary menace--not just litter, but a potent threat to the ocean environment, and thus to life on earth.--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:mfagan
Title:Plastic Ocean: How a Sea Captain's Chance Discovery Launched a Determined Quest to Save the Oceans
Authors:Charles Moore
Other authors:Cassandra Phillips
Info:Avery (2011), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Plastic Ocean: How a Sea Captain's Chance Discovery Launched a Determined Quest to Save the Oceans by Charles Moore

This book is making me sick! No, the information it is giving me is turning my stomach. I got to the part which describes the multitudinous death records of animals due to plastics ingestion. Everywhere! I am so sad. And I've vowed to remove plastics from my life. Good luck to me and the whole biosphere. ( )
  2wonderY | Feb 26, 2013 |
Highly readable, thoughtful, honest, and determined, Plastic Ocean is a book with staying power.
added by Christa_Josh | editBooklist, Colleen Mondor (Oct 15, 2011)

Charles Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Phillips, Cassandramain authorall editionsconfirmed
To the generation, not yet born,

that creates a world where

plastic pollution is unthinkable
Chapter 1

A Plastic Soup

The ocean looks like glossy blue cellophane, like a pond on a summer day.

see the website connected with the book: http://www.plasticoceanthebook.com/

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,769,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible