Eat-Taste-Heal: An Ayurvedic Cookbook for…

Eat-Taste-Heal: An Ayurvedic Cookbook for Modern Living

by Thomas Yarema

Great recipes. ( )
  mjanecolette | Apr 6, 2017 |
This is a GREAT cookbook. It provides interesting Ayurvedic recipes that don't all taste like Indian food. It's also a beautiful book, filled with color and thoughtful information. Even though I have read a lot about Ayurveda, I couldn't help perusing through information I already know, just because of the loving care in the way this book was prepared.

Plus, it includes some recipes for those of us who aren't strict vegetarians. I made the sesame trout for my husband, and it was a hit.

I made some adjustments to a few of the recipes as I saw fit. There's an avocado soup, for example, that calls for fresh carrot juice. Instead, I roasted carrots and blended them into the soup without juicing them. I thought the roasted flavor would add to the recipe, and it was delicious!

There are some snack recipes in here, too. In Ayurveda, the ideal is to eat three meals a day with no snacks, but I'm going to use these for a plane trip when it's hard to get good, wholesome meals.

One thing to note: the folks who designed this cookbook live in Hawaii, and a lot of the recipes seem more geared to warm weather. When I made the avocado soup, I noticed that nearly all the ingredients were on my "winter vegetable" list for Ayurveda, so I made it and served it warm rather than cold. It worked just fine. ( )
  NadineFeldman | Mar 21, 2016 |

Nadine_Feldman | Aug 26, 2015 |
I read reviews that praised this book at Amazon and I had it on my wishlist forever. I finally got it and I adore it, the perfect book about Ayurveda IMO. It is co written by a doctor, someone going through the healing process, and a chef who has traveled extensively.

The first third is full of information about the different types and the lifestyle and healing.
What I really liked about this more than the other that I have is that they wrote a lot about modern concerns that I think are very important- organic food, how animals are raised in the USA etc. There is a lot of information on many different topics.

The second third contains easy recipes for your dosha. I liked that they were clearly labeled what dosha they were intended for and after the recipe they showed you how you could modify for it for other doshas. This is great because not only do you learn how to make food for yourself, but you also learn the concept of modifying other recipes for your needs and others that you cook for.

The final third has slightly more complicated recipes for when you have more time and these all look fabulous. What a great concept! This section also had information on how to make staples like ghee and yogurt. Mmmm ( )
  fikustree | Apr 4, 2007 |

Eat.Taste.Heal is a groundbreaking work within the field of holistic health and nutrition, written by a medical doctor, a patient, and an acclaimed chef. A complete guidebook and cookbook in one, Eat.Taste.Heal demystifies the ancient healing science of Ayurveda, humankind's most ancient system of healthy living. The aim of the book is simple: to create harmony within through using common foods and healthy lifestyle practices as medicine. The collection contains over 150 cross-cultural recipes and received a Maverick Award for excellence in photography. The authors are a unique trio: physician, patient, and chef. Dr. Thomas Yarema M.D., director of the Kauai Center for Holistic Medicine and Research, created for his patients an understandable dietary program rooted in common sense. Daniel Rhoda, a patient who found healing through Ayurveda, demystifies the ancient science that helped restore his health. Chef Johnny Brannigan, an internationally trained Ayurvedic chef, has created more than 150 recipes to empower individual healing through the exploration of taste.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:56 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,421,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible