Rose Madder by Stephen King

Rose Madder (1995)

by Stephen King

5,53758780 (3.48)1 / 106
    Gerald's Game by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: King's abused wives phase.

English (56)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All (58)
The beginning wasn't too bad but about halfway through started deteriorating into some kind of "phantasmagorical" (as one critic noted) apocalyptical pile of garbage. The dialogue was fourth-grade tripe. I may add to this later but right now I'm mad at myself for not heeding others' warnings about the supernatural element, or for not glancing at some of the one-star reviews. I had to quit and just skim through the last couple of sections. Ugh, when will I learn? ( )
  Anastasia_Janet | Dec 1, 2017 |
  Anastasia_Janet | Dec 1, 2017 |
Tension throughout as you root for this terribly abused wife & celebrate her escape. Strong reminder of consequences & hope. ( )
  TiffanyHow | Oct 3, 2017 |
Not his best, but not time totally wasted. Nominally about domestic abuse and King doesn't flinch from descriptions. It was fairly predictable. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
One of my very favorites along with Desperation, the Stand, & Gerald's Game. ( )
  taranator | Jul 11, 2017 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dobner, TullioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I'm really Rosie, And I'm Rosie Real, You better believe me, I'm a great big deal... -- Maurice Sendak
A bloody egg yolk. A burnt hole spreading in a sheet. An enraged rose threatening to bloom. -- May Swenson
This book is for Joan Marks.
She sits in the corner, trying to draw air out of a room which seemed to have plenty just a few minutes ago and now seems to have none.

Roused by a single drop of blood on the bedsheet, Rosie Daniels wakes from fourteen years of a nightmare marriage and suddenly takes flight. She uses her husband's ATM card to buy a bus ticket, determined to lose herself in a place where Norman won't find her. She'll worry about all the rest later.

Alone in a strange city, she begins to make a new life, and good things start to happen. Meeting Billl Steiner is one; and finding a junk-shop painting is another. lt ma be bad art but it's perfect for her new apartment - and somehow, it seems to want her as much as she wants it.

But escape was not as easy as fleeing to a new city, picking a new name, finding a new job, lucking out with a new man. Her husband, Norman, was a cop, with a cop's training, a cop's technology, a cop's bloodhound instincts. And even worse, Norman was - well, Norman. Rose knew she had been married to a savage brute. Now she realized she was being tracked down by a terrifying monster - but the only place she found to hide could be the most dangerous of all...

Rose-maddended and on the rampage, Norman Daniels becomes a force of relentless terror and savageness, a man almost mythic in his monstrosity. For Rosie to survive, for her to have a chance in her brave new world, she must enter her own myth - a world that lies beyond the surface of a work of art - and become a woman she never knew she could be: Rose Madder.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451186362, Mass Market Paperback)

After 14 years of being beaten, Rose Daniels wakes up one morning and leaves her husband -- but she keeps looking over her shoulder, because Norman has the instincts of a predator. And what is the strange work of art that has Rose in a kind of spell? In this brilliant dark-hued fable of the gender wars, Stephen King has fashioned yet another suspense thriller to keep readers right at the edge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:00 -0400)

After fourteen years of beatings and abuse, Rose runs away from her husband. Unfortunately, he is a detective, and he has ways of finding her.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,620,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible