Rose Madder by Stephen King

Rose Madder (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Stephen King

4,619None1,033 (3.45)1 / 83
Member:Shrike316
Title:Rose Madder
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (1996), Edition: Open market ed, Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***

Rose Madder by Stephen King (1995)

20th century (8) abuse (29) American literature (11) dark tower (26) domestic abuse (11) domestic violence (26) ebook (17) fantasy (54) fiction (427) first edition (20) hardcover (29) HC (9) horror (569) horror fiction (8) King (47) mystery (14) novel (48) own (21) owned (12) painting (8) paperback (13) read (76) Roman (8) Stephen King (112) supernatural (19) suspense (42) thriller (65) to-read (22) unread (24) women (7)
    Gerald's Game by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: King's abused wives phase.
    Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: King's abused wives phase.

English (40)  Dutch (1)  All languages (41)
Originally posted @ Novel Reveries
I'd give this book 3.5 stars. This story intrigued me from the beginning, confused me in the middle, and then recaptured my intrigue in the end. This has been my relationship with other Stephen King books in the past, so it's not out of the ordinary. The plot is definitely unique from other authors, and although the little "Alice in Wonderland" part became a little laughable in the middle, the reason for it forced sense in it. Rose Madder is a story of an abused wife and how she overcomes the adversity and madness of her husband by going a little mad herself. ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Originally posted @ Novel Reveries
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
This was a very forgettable King novel for me. It started off well enough, and I was really drawn into this book thinking that it would be comparable to Misery, one of my favorite King books. The story follows Rose Daniels when she is inspired one morning by a drop of dried blood on her bed sheets to leave her abusive husband, Norman.

The reason I thought this book would be similar to Misery is because of the reality of Rose's situation. King does an amazing job of describing the abuse of Rose and the effects of that abuse. At times I had a sick feeling in my stomach from reading this. It seemed so devastatingly real to me. Norman's descent into madness as he tries to track down his wayward wife is classic King material (think Jack Torrence in The Shining).

Unfortunately the book takes a downward turn about midway through when Rose spots a man and a painting in a pawn shop in the new town where she is hiding from her husband. Rose has the ability to enter the painting and communicate with the woman portrayed on it. This whole aspect of the story seemed quite forced to me. I could have done without the lame, contrived mysticism of the painting, and I really saw no purpose in the new boyfriend. He seemed to just tag along, adding in some half-baked dialogue along the way.

Towards the end I was really struggling to find any interest in this book. It started off nicely as a story of domestic abuse, written with King's detail that makes the reader really feel quite uncomfortable (as it should). But I think it was a mistake to try and add the supernatural, mystic aspect to it. That part was not particularly valuable to me. ( )
  eolsen | Jan 15, 2014 |
I listened to this as an audio book, and that's probably why I actually finished it. Good stuff up until Rose goes into the painting the first time (had I been reading this instead of listening, I probably would have put the book down here. And not because I don't like supernatural--I quite love fantasy--but for some reason I'm less fond of SK's supernatural elements than I am of his real world elements.). Gets better once she returns to the real world again: actually, it gets really good, but then things get solved by going back into the supernatural world and so the ending felt lackluster for me. I was pleased to see that characters I really liked survived Norman's pursuit of Rose (Gert and Bill); I was really afraid that King was going to axe at least one of them. ( )
  TLMorganfield | Sep 4, 2013 |
I was taken in by the painting, too. This was an imaginative piece. Perhaps not as suspenseful as some, but I enjoyed it. ( )
  CDVerhoff | Aug 26, 2013 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dobner, TullioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I'm really Rosie, And I'm Rosie Real, You better believe me, I'm a great big deal... -- Maurice Sendak
A bloody egg yolk. A burnt hole spreading in a sheet. An enraged rose threatening to bloom. -- May Swenson
This book is for Joan Marks.
She sits in the corner, trying to draw air out of a room which seemed to have plenty just a few minutes ago and now seems to have none.

Roused by a single drop of blood on the bedsheet, Rosie Daniels wakes from fourteen years of a nightmare marriage and suddenly takes flight. She uses her husband's ATM card to buy a bus ticket, determined to lose herself in a place where Norman won't find her. She'll worry about all the rest later.

Alone in a strange city, she begins to make a new life, and good things start to happen. Meeting Billl Steiner is one; and finding a junk-shop paiinting is another. lt ma be bad art but it's perfect for her new ajpartment - and somehow, it seems to want her as much as she wants it.

But escape was not as easy as fleeing to a new city, picking a new name, finding a new job, lucking out with a new man. Her husband, Norman, wasw a cop, with a cop's training, a cop's technoloy, a cop's bloodlhound inslincts. Ande even worse, Norman was - well, Norman. Rose knew she had been married to a savage brute. Now she realized she was being tracked down by a terrifying monster - but the only place she found to hide could be the most dangerous of all...

Rose-maddended and on the rampage, Norman Daniels becomes a force of relentless terror and savageness, a man almost mythic in his monstrousity. For Rosie to survive, for her to have a chance in her brave new world, she must enter her own myth - a world that lies beyond the surface of a work of art - and become a woman she never knew she could be: Rose Madder.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451186362, Mass Market Paperback)

After 14 years of being beaten, Rose Daniels wakes up one morning and leaves her husband -- but she keeps looking over her shoulder, because Norman has the instincts of a predator. And what is the strange work of art that has Rose in a kind of spell? In this brilliant dark-hued fable of the gender wars, Stephen King has fashioned yet another suspense thriller to keep readers right at the edge.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:46 -0400)

After fourteen years of beatings and abuse, Rose runs away from her husband. Unfortunately, he is a detective, and he has ways of finding her.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,489,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible