Rose Madder by Stephen King

Rose Madder (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Stephen King

5,11549873 (3.47)1 / 101
Member:Shrike316
Title:Rose Madder
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (1996), Edition: Open market ed, Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***

Rose Madder by Stephen King (1995)

Gerald's Game by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: King's abused wives phase.

English (47)  Dutch (1)  All languages (48)
This is an amazing tale of a domestic violence case gone right. I bet every battered woman would love to seek revenge in the way that Rose did. Loved this book, would be an awesome movie as well. :)
Love the painting that keeps changing as the plot thickens! ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
Rose extricates herself from an abusive marriage, and leaves her life behind to start over when she has finally had enough of her husband, Norman. Suffering physical and emotional torture for years, she finally summons the courage to run. Norman isn't quite so eager to split, though, not until he 'punishes' Rose for daring to mistreat him so. Starting over in a new town, with a new life, and finding new life in herself, Rose sinks into a false security of relative anonymity. She finds an old painting in a junk shop, of a woman in a 'red' dress, which seems to call to her to buy it for her new apartment. The painting continues to haunt and mesmerize her, and eventually becomes her salvation, for just when she thinks she has escaped her former life, found a new career, and perhaps a new love, the demons of her past come back to haunt her, in the form of Norman, bent on making her pay for her 'crimes' against him.

This is one of the strongest King novels I can ever recall reading, and proof that his writing gets better with time. In Rose Madder, he takes a very different turn and explores real humans and their emotions just as vividly as his horrific creatures have been. I recommend this book to King fans and non-King fans alike. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Okay, I thought I read this book way back when, but my daughter brought it home from the library for me (she's so thoughtful) and I figured I could read it again. Turns out, I did not read this book. If I did, the memory of it is gone. Perhaps I drank some black water...

Anyway, Mr. King, I love you again. You lucky dog. All is forgiven. Desperation? Pfft. Ain't nothin but a bad day. You repeat it, we're gonna have to talk...up close. Real close.

Anyone who hasn't read this thinks I'm nuts. That's okay. I am. But this will be more funny than nutter-speak to those who have read it.

Rose Madder is the Stephen King I know and love. The characters creep into your psyche, every last one of them. Even the minor characters. They just climb inside and there you are. I want to read it again. Not necessarily for the story (although I must say it is one that keeps the pages turning) but for the music of the words. Sounds silly, but my favorite authors have a certain rhythm, a tune you could say, that makes me slip into their books in a similar way a favorite song makes me sing along, even when people are staring. This is the song I enjoy from King.

Norman is my favorite character. (yes, folks she just jumped off the sane train into crazy valley) I'm a villain girl. I love to read them and I love writing them. Norman is one villain that stays with the reader. It's not often that happens. You love to hate him.

Um...this isn't a very helpful review is it? Hmmm...read it. How's that? ( )
  ReneeMiller | Feb 25, 2016 |
A brutal read, due to the main topic - domestic violence. Norman, the abuser, is a sick, sick man who does terrible things to his wife, Rosie. She escapes and he follows. And with a super natural painting, she escapes again. It's a good story, with great characters (I loved Gert!), and its slow pace benefits its complexity! I wasn't a fan of the "through-the-painting" parts of the tale, and the epilogue did nothing for me. Still, it thrilled me and chilled me, and really, what's not to like when it's Uncle Stevie? Viva Ze Bool! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |
Pick up a copy of a Stephen King novel, and it's a fair bet that you'll keep reading right up to the final page. Say what you will about the man, but there are very few authors out there who can match him for sheer readability. Rose Madder is no exception.

Rosie is a timid housewife, who has for many years been trapped in an abusive relationship with her terrifying, psychopathic husband Norman. Norman is violent, cruel, and frequently irrational, but like many a very dangerous person he's adept at concealing his true character. He's also a policeman, and a good one at that. So when Rosie - awoken to the terrible truth of her marriage by the sight of a single drop of blood on a bed sheet (a beautiful and very true moment) - finally finds the courage to leave him, she can be sure that she'll always be looking over her shoulder.

Rosie flees to another city, where she attempts to put her life back together again. Then one day she comes across a painting - an insignificant, very average, and rather odd painting that nevertheless fascinates her. This is where the supernatural element kicks in, as you'd expect from SK, and it stretched my credulity a bit. Not so much that I stopped reading or enjoying the book, certainly, but enough for me to give a disparaging snort every so often. It's not for an oik like me to tell the mighty Stephen King how to write, obviously, but I found myself wishing that in Rose Madder he'd eschewed the supernatural, and kept it as a tense, taut thriller.

But this is a small complaint really, and it would be churlish to make too much of it when a book has entertained you as thoroughly as Rose Madder entertained me. This is why I love SK - for compelling, vastly enjoyable reading, he has few rivals. Long may he reign! ( )
  MariBiella | Dec 6, 2015 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dobner, TullioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I'm really Rosie, And I'm Rosie Real, You better believe me, I'm a great big deal... -- Maurice Sendak
A bloody egg yolk. A burnt hole spreading in a sheet. An enraged rose threatening to bloom. -- May Swenson
This book is for Joan Marks.
She sits in the corner, trying to draw air out of a room which seemed to have plenty just a few minutes ago and now seems to have none.

Roused by a single drop of blood on the bedsheet, Rosie Daniels wakes from fourteen years of a nightmare marriage and suddenly takes flight. She uses her husband's ATM card to buy a bus ticket, determined to lose herself in a place where Norman won't find her. She'll worry about all the rest later.

Alone in a strange city, she begins to make a new life, and good things start to happen. Meeting Billl Steiner is one; and finding a junk-shop painting is another. lt ma be bad art but it's perfect for her new apartment - and somehow, it seems to want her as much as she wants it.

But escape was not as easy as fleeing to a new city, picking a new name, finding a new job, lucking out with a new man. Her husband, Norman, was a cop, with a cop's training, a cop's technology, a cop's bloodhound instincts. And even worse, Norman was - well, Norman. Rose knew she had been married to a savage brute. Now she realized she was being tracked down by a terrifying monster - but the only place she found to hide could be the most dangerous of all...

Rose-maddended and on the rampage, Norman Daniels becomes a force of relentless terror and savageness, a man almost mythic in his monstrosity. For Rosie to survive, for her to have a chance in her brave new world, she must enter her own myth - a world that lies beyond the surface of a work of art - and become a woman she never knew she could be: Rose Madder.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451186362, Mass Market Paperback)

After 14 years of being beaten, Rose Daniels wakes up one morning and leaves her husband -- but she keeps looking over her shoulder, because Norman has the instincts of a predator. And what is the strange work of art that has Rose in a kind of spell? In this brilliant dark-hued fable of the gender wars, Stephen King has fashioned yet another suspense thriller to keep readers right at the edge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:00 -0400)

After fourteen years of beatings and abuse, Rose runs away from her husband. Unfortunately, he is a detective, and he has ways of finding her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,795,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible