Unleashed (Wolf Spring Chronicles) by Nancy…

Unleashed (Wolf Spring Chronicles) (edition 2011)

by Nancy Holder, Debbie Viguie

103None116,391 (3.13)1
Member:readr
Title:Unleashed (Wolf Spring Chronicles)
Authors:Nancy Holder
Other authors:Debbie Viguie
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2011), Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:1/2
Tags:fantasy, werewolves, teen

Unleashed (Wolf Spring Chronicles) by Nancy Holder

Waaaaay too teen angst-y for me. Should have realized that immediately. Still, the writing seems strong. ( )
  lesmel | Apr 11, 2013 |
Characters who pissed me off: Katelyn, Cordelia, Coredlia's entire weird psychopath family, Stephen (yes, I know he's part of Cordelia's family, but he gets to be named just because he's a douche), the Coach in the book, Kimi, Lucy, Basically every character in this book

Characters who didn't piss me off: Ed, Trick, and Jesse (Yes, he's part of Cordelia's family, but he's too adorable to hate)

Only 3 characters didn't make me want to bludgeon them, THREE. Although after I saw the "A new trilogy with the passion of Twilight and the grandeur of Fallen" thing, I wasn't expecting much. Twilight sucks. Fallen sucks even worse. Why anyone would want to model their books after them is beyond me, but whatever. I did not like this book. I did not like the characters, I did not like the plot (I use the term plot loosely because, well, there really wasn't a plot.) I did not enjoy this book at all. Katelyn is basically a judgmental brat who jumps to conclusions that are so far out of the realm of reasonable, that I often found myself either:

4) A wonderful combination of all 3

I know we were supposed to feel sympathy for her Her mother died in an earthquake/fire trying to save her. Which was Katelyn's fault because she was acting like a fucktard and kind of just chilling in the smoke but she messed up right at the beginning. Later on I felt a little sympathy for her because Kimi sucks as a person, but she quickly lost it by being an idiot.

Justin is a cheating douche, that is all.

Kimi is a shitastic "best friend" who completely forgets about Katelyn a week after she moves. I mean really? If my best friend moved half way around the country, I would be calling her, and skyping* her (side note about this later), and making plans to visit her over breaks, and e-mailing, and im'ing and texting, and basically staying in contact with her 24/7. What did Kimi do? She found a new best friend within a week. A WEEK!

Cordelia is kind of self-centered, like at first I liked her, but then she was rude to Trick, and later she just morphed into this incredibly annoying person and her only goal was to let everyone know how badly her life sucked. Oh and Coredlia's family? They're all batshit. Like seriously, they're all crazy. When Cordelia brought Kat home, her sisters come out and go "It looks like a stranger, it smells like a stranger too." Like wtf? If I were Kat I would have hightailed it out of there. Cordelia's dad is just as crazy, but he's more of a sneak-up-behind-you-and-stab-you-in-the-back crazy, than a run-towards-you-with-an-ax-screaming-like-a-banshee crazy like Cordelia's sisters. But basically, they're all just crazy, just different kinds.

*Way to play into the podunk smalltown stereotype, Holder. I mean really? They have no internet? No cell service? Their school doesn't even have a librarian? She went way beyond the realm of reasonable and started treading in pulling it out of her ass territory. Personally, I live in Colorado, and i've noticed that people tend to do the same thing when they have the book taking place in Colorado. For future reference:

4) Most schools in CO don't have ski teams.
5) Not everyone in CO knows how to ski (I've lived here my whole 18 years and I've never gone skiing in any of those 6574 days.)

I know, I got off topic, but those things infuriate me whenever I see them. If you're going to write about something, do RESEARCH on it. Don't just buy into every stereotype you've ever heard and assume that they're true. Most of the time, they're not. ( )

superducky | Mar 31, 2013 |
I am conflicted when it comes to Unleashed. I am a huge fan of the Wicked series by these two authors. It is no secret that I like heroines who aren't perfect and Katelyn McBride is most definitely not perfect. She is a big city LA girl who fully expects the people in Arkansas to be wearing cut off jeans and overalls chewing on hay and there are various references to banjo (which I found funny). She is a city girl snob and I'm fine with it. Kat is a young woman whose life has changed drastically and traumatically. It's OK that some of her thoughts and actions aren't always PC or nice, give her a break. Really, perfect heroines are no fun. Let's get to the other characters. Trick (I love this name)...I don't know how I feel about him. His actions are all over the place and are never explained. He is sweet and cares for her sometimes and other times he is a class A jerk whom I wish Katelyn would punch in the face. Now on to Cordelia. I actually liked her at the beginning of the book, but by the end I felt pity for her and wanted Kat to punch her too. Justin, Jesse, and her grandfather were all good characters and I was perfectly happy with them.

Now we get down to everything else. There is a lot of mystery in this book and along with that a lot of unanswered questions in the end. There is a HUGE cliffhanger, but I think a few of the mysteries should have been wrapped up. The massive quantity of unanswered questions going on in the book confused me in the beginning and left me confused at the end. There was just too much. Hopefully the next book will do a better job of wrapping some of this up. I actually didn't see the "big surprise" of what happens in the book coming.(Email me if you want to talk about this) Will I be buying/reading the next book? YES! Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie are just too awesome and this series has too much potential for me not to. I am torn between a 3 1/2 and a 4 rating. It was a good book, but could have used some tweaks. ( )
  BrandisBookMusings | Feb 5, 2012 |

Nancy Holderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holder, NancyAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Viguie, DebbieAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie, the New York Times bestselling authors of the Wicked series, have created an entirely new trilogy with the passion of Twilight and the grandeur of Fallen. The Wolf Springs Chronicles introduces readers to a town of secrets and the new girl who's about to start believing in werewolves.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:28 -0400)

Orphaned Kat McBride, nearly seventeen, must leave California to live with her grandfather in small-town Arkansas, where she is drawn into a paranormal world of feuding werewolf clans.

Nancy Holder is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

35 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible