Usborne Beginners: Spiders by Rebecca Gilpin

Usborne Beginners: Spiders

by Rebecca Gilpin

141585,024 (4)None

Summary:
This is an informational book about spiders. It describes how spiders look, where they live, what they eat, and how they protect themselves.

Personal Response:
This is a great book about spiders. It even tells all the gross stuff like how the suck the guts out of their food. I like that it shows all the different kinds of spider.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. This book could be used during a lesson on spiders.
2. I would have my students create their own spider webbs.
  brankacheek | Apr 22, 2013 |
  BRCSBooks | Mar 1, 2012 |
An informational book on differnt types of spiders. Wonderful upclose pictures of them. Some spiders have 8 eyes as well as 8 legs.Most spiders weave intricate webs that are strong enough to hold their prey. Some spiders eat wasps. The Tarantula is one of the largest and they taste from tiny hairs on their front legs.

Personal Response: I learn quite a lot about the different spiders in Gilpin's book. The pictures were amazing! I did not know that some live in the water and the webs are full of air. Also, that some spiders pounce on their prey instead of making webs to catch them.What I have notice with this book and A Dandelions Life is that both have vocabulary words in the back of the books. A nice touch for children to learn words they may not know.

Classroom Extension:
1.Have students write in their journals about one of the spiders what they liked and disliked about that spider.
2. Have the students bring a picture of different spiders to share will the class with the help of their parents, they can look on the internet and find out if some spiders are poisonous. ( )
  PaulaWilds123- | Nov 5, 2011 |
This book is Spiders and is very informative. The book describes many spiders in the world. Each page describes a different spider and explains why they are the way they are. The book shows excellent pictures of the spider up close to the point were you can see the spiders skin and very far away. The bbok included a table of contents, and index for all the different spiders, and a websites for children to look up extra information about spiders.

The book does not really relate to me because I cant stand spiders. I am terrified of real life spiders but can manage to look at spiders on the internet or in a book.

I would use this book in my class room because everyone know what a spider is but cant exactly tell the different. I would read the book out loud and have the students draw a picture of one of the spiders in the book and describe which spider he or she drew.
  olive_mucho | Apr 18, 2010 |
This is an informational book on spiders. It is a great reference book that covers so much on spiders. It contains wonderful photographs and drawings of spiders in their world. This book is designed for curious nature lovers just starting to read on their own. This is also part of the Usborne Beginning Readers Series. I can relate to this book for all the information that it has to offer the reader.
Extension Activities
Vocabulary: Have the students brainstorm a list of words from the book. Discuss the appropriateness of each word. Write these words on chart paper.
Family Poetry: As an at-home activity, have each student work with a family member to write a poem about one of the insects in the book. Then let each student his or her poem with the class This activity connects reading and writing between the home and the classroom.
  rhondawilliams | Jun 25, 2008 |

What do spiders eat? How many eyes does a spider have? Which kind of spider lives underwater? In this book you'll find the answers and lots more about the fascinating world of spiders. SPIDERS is part of an exciting series of books for children who are beginning to read on their own. The easy-to-read text has been specially written with the help of a reading expert. For ages 6-8

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:55 -0400)

This book introduces the world of spiders, from bolas to wheel spiders.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,239,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible