Zahraʼs Paradise by Amir

Zahraʼs Paradise (2011)

by Amir, Amir (Author), Khalil (Author), Khalil

Wonderfully insightful. The book shows the inside struggle of a repressive government and the people who are trying to live their lives. Heartbreaking, but a pleasure reading and seeing. ( )
  Noonecanstop | Mar 2, 2014 |
A powerful, moving story about how one family is tragically affected by the Iranian government's violent suppression of widespread street protests in 2009. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
This graphic novel is an amazing look inside a country and a culture that is normally hidden from the Western world. It is powerful and heartbreaking. While the characters in this book are fictional, the setting and events are based on the reality of life after the protests surrounding the 2009 elections in Iran. This is a well-written and drawn book about an important subject. When we don’t understand others, it becomes easy to depersonalize them. We generally don’t understand the people of Iran and often see no further than a regime with which our country is in conflict. My husband loved this book and would recommend it to anyone with an interest in Iran and the Middle East. I’d go further and say that this is a book most people should read in order to better understand the news and the world around us. ( )
  AngelaCinVA | May 6, 2012 |
This work of fiction is based on the real life experiences of those incarcerated during the recent revolution in Iran. Through the eyes of one family, we are shown the abuse of human rights and the devastating effects of that abuse on those who are desperately trying to find out what has happened to family members who have disappeared. ( )
  kivarson | May 5, 2012 |
Come from China, there are many things mentioned in this book making me feel familiar. But the one-side story makes the story biased and uncomfortable to read. Good and evil distinguish from each other like water and oil. Real world is far more complicated than that. Definitely, Persepolis or The Separation are far more better to read if you want to understand current Iran. Overall, I have to say it's very disappointing to read this book. ( )
  flyear | Mar 9, 2012 |

Amirprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
AmirAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
KhalilAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Khalilmain authorall editionsconfirmed

"Set in the aftermath of Iran's fraudulent elections of 2009, Zahra's Paradise is the fictional story of the search for Mehdi, a young protestor who has vanished into an extrajudicial twilight zone. What's keeping his memory from being obliterated is not the law. It is the grit and guts of his mother, who refuses to surrender her son to fate, and the tenacity of his brother, a blogger, who fuses tradition and technology to explore and explode the void in which Mehdi has vanished"--Publisher's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,347,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible