Elegy for Eddie: A Maisie Dobbs Novel by…

Elegy for Eddie: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (edition 2012)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Member:tututhefirst
Title:Elegy for Eddie: A Maisie Dobbs Novel
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:Harper (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:WWI, HM12, contest win, OD, WTG 2012

Elegy for Eddie by Jacqueline Winspear

Recently added byLaura_lita, aharey, crynski, mcmiranda, private library, PlymouthCC, cawilson, lit_chick, Patient

2012, Harper Audio, Read by Orlagh Cassidy

Publisher’s Summary: adapted from Audible.com
Early April 1933: To the costermongers of Covent Garden – sellers of fruit and vegetables on the streets of London – Eddie Pettit was a gentle soul with a near-magical gift for working with horses. When Eddie is killed in a violent accident, the grieving costers are deeply skeptical about the cause of his death. Who would want to kill Eddie – and why?

My Review:
I loved reading about the costermongers – an occupation of times gone by. And, while Winspear writes eloquently of Eddie’s gentle soul, and of his gift with horses – she doesn’t shy away from the fact that Eddie is severely mentally challenged. I like that Winspear is clear about the respect paid him by the costers and by Maisie, hence Elegy to Eddie – respect was not always Eddie’s experience, as one might imagine in the early 1930s. Maisie is learning to live as a wealthy woman, and what that means in terms of setting boundaries around “helping” others. In terms of her personal life, I find myself growing frustrated with her: she commits to a relationship, and then as the relationship progresses, proceeds to find reasons why she can’t commit (read Andrew Deene and now James Compton).

On the historical front, Elegy to Eddie, like A Lesson in Secrets before it, continues to foreshadow the coming of WWII: illustrating for readers the British political maneuvering taking place as Hitler gradually rises to power.

Thoroughly enjoyed Elegy to Eddie, the ninth installment in the Maisie Dobbs series. I’ve forgotten to mention for some time that Orlagh Cassidy is perfect for this series, just perfect. Highly recommended, both novel and series! ( )
1 vote lit_chick | Nov 4, 2016 |
Okay

I read the first Maisie Dobbs mystery and was not impressed with the writing. I thought this book was much better in terms of the writing. Actually I enjoyed reading this book, but somehow at the end I found that it fell somewhat flat in terms of the mystery. ( )
  borealis07 | Jul 11, 2016 |
Eddie Pettit is a simple lad who is a horse whisperer, during this era horses are becoming scarcer but he is still popular, he dies due to what looks like a freak accident but there are questions by some of the costermongers who hire Maisie to investigate. She finds herself embroiled in plots and conspiracies and mounting bodies. She's also questioning her romance and how she can use her money to do the right thing.

It's not a bad read, I enjoyed it and the characters. Though Pru needs to stop giving Maisie clothing and demanding that Maisie either lets her use some of her money to shop for her or hire a dressmaker instead of giving her cast-offs. She also needs to apply some more clue by fours about Maisie's guilt about spending. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jun 1, 2016 |
Elegy For Eddie – Jacqueline Winspear
3 stars

This is the ninth book in Winspear’s Maisie Dobbs series. This book has Maisie investigating the not so accidental death of the simple-minded Eddie Pettit. As she investigates, Maisie delves into a number of sensitive issues: the intimidation and exploitation of the weak, the competing powers of unions and big business, the uses and abuses of propaganda and the free press. Any one of these themes could have made an interesting book. Touching all of them served to make the story superficial.

Eddie is a character from Maisie’s childhood. Returning to her early roots forces Maisie to examine her uneasiness with her new status among the wealthy. Maisie’s relationship struggles and her adjustment to her new financial security seem to dominate the narrative. That was a shame because Eddie and his mother were appealing characters
and their story was more interesting to me.

I still like Maisie Dobbs and Winspeare’s treatment of this historical period. I will probably continue to follow the series which is clearly headed towards Maisie’s involvement in World War Two.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Elegy for Eddie by Jacqueline Winspear was the ninth Maisie Dobbs book. This was one of my least favorite of the series because it was so much about Maisie's internal dialogue and so little about the mystery. It's just not easy to feel sorry for someone having a crisis over having inherited too much money. I did however enjoy the various depictions of the differences between the haves and have-nots of the time. This was definitely a transition book though, both in the things going on in Maisie's life and also in the world as Hitler starts coming to power and WWII looms on the horizon.

http://webereading.com/2016/01/a-series-of-murders.html ( )
  klpm | Feb 13, 2016 |
And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse. - Bedouin legend
For evil to happen, all that is necessary is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke
Once in a while you will stumble upon the truth but most of us manage to pick ourselves up and hurry along as if nothing happened. -- Winston Churchill
Dedicated to Oliver and Sara
Maudie Pettit pushed the long broom back and forth across the wet flagstones, making sure every last speck of horse manure was sluiced down the drains that ran along a gully between the two rows of stalls.

Maisie Dobbs takes on her most personal case yet, a twisting investigation into the brutal killing of a street peddler that will take her from the working-class neighborhoods of her childhood into London's highest circles of power. Set in London between the two world wars.… (more)

115 wanted2 pay4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,642,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible