Elegy for Eddie: A Maisie Dobbs Novel by…

Elegy for Eddie: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (edition 2012)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Member:tututhefirst
Title:Elegy for Eddie: A Maisie Dobbs Novel
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:Harper (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:WWI, HM12, contest win, OD, WTG 2012

Elegy for Eddie by Jacqueline Winspear

Although the story doesn't resolve itself in the usual way, it does give closure to the characters who are affected by Eddie Pettit's death. Although I like to read descriptions of settings and actions that affect the plot and my understanding, I wish Winspear or her editors would cut back on some of her descriptive writing. Often it doesn't move the plot forward and just interferes with the story. That said, I like learning about England between the wars, what it was like to survive the first World War and then begin to realize that another was coming. And I love watching Maisie's relationship with James Compton develop; it's very modern in that Maisie is a career woman who can't drop her identity to become someone's wife, and can't totally move away from her working-class roots. I look forward to finding out what happens next in Maisie and James' story. I have an idea, but we'll see if it turns out as I imagine it might. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Feb 5, 2016 |
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in a Goodreads giveaway.

First off: the book is enjoyable, but it's not like previous books in the series. This book marks something of a turn in Maisie's life - she starts to confront her now not-so-new wealth and the repercussions of her intentions and actions towards the people in her life. While I normally enjoy character development, I felt that this book was too much character development - and not necessarily successful at that - and too little mystery. The resolution of the mystery at the end was very anticlimactic - not even a resolution, really - and it felt very out of character for Maisie. She's fierce, caring, and has a strong sense of justice. But she just lets the culprit off because of impending fears about Hitler? It doesn't come across as all that believable, I'm afraid. In previous mysteries, Maisie would've found a solution that still managed to satisfy justice, even if not through official legal channels, but she doesn't seem to try very hard here. I'm happy to see Maisie grow and adapt to her new life, but I also want the mystery. I hope future volumes in the series don't put the mystery in the backseat. ( )
  Lindoula | Dec 27, 2015 |
This excellent series continues in this episode that focuses on the present and its ominous future rather than WW1. Leaving Lambeth is still easier than staying disengaged from its residents and problems. Maisie undertakes the investigation of the accident that took the life of a gentle much beloved savant and horse whisperer.
Still wrestling with the burden of her rapid ascent into the aristocracy and her confusing relationship with James, her life is becoming increasingly more complex. Other deaths occur and Billy is seriously injured before Maisie resolves the mysteries. However, the solution creates much retrospection and conflict for her. ( )
  jamespurcell | Sep 15, 2015 |
This Maisie Dobbs book was a bit different from her previous books in that the ending was considerably more ambiguous. However, that is fitting in that the political situation in the world in 1933 is in such flux and England feels such a threat from Germany, which had so recently caused such havoc for the country. If you are a history buff this all makes sense, but if you're not you'll need to pay close attention to the political goings on in order to better understand it, especially since I'm sure that the subsequent books will show more of the confusion that England suffered before Germany finally made their threats good. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Mar 18, 2015 |
This is an entertaining entry into the Maisie Dobbs series which I am reading in order. Maisie investigates the death of a young man who is kind, has an insight into healing horses, and who is slow of mind. Maisie is also in a personal quandary: what does she want to do in her life? Marry a man she is fond of? Travel? ( )
  hangen | Feb 15, 2015 |
And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse. - Bedouin legend
For evil to happen, all that is necessary is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke
Once in a while you will stumble upon the truth but most of us manage to pick ourselves up and hurry along as if nothing happened. -- Winston Churchill
Dedicated to Oliver and Sara
Maudie Pettit pushed the long broom back and forth across the wet flagstones, making sure every last speck of horse manure was sluiced down the drains that ran along a gully between the two rows of stalls.

Maisie Dobbs takes on her most personal case yet, a twisting investigation into the brutal killing of a street peddler that will take her from the working-class neighborhoods of her childhood into London's highest circles of power. Set in London between the two world wars.… (more)

110 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,084,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible