Elegy for Eddie: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (P.S.)…

Elegy for Eddie: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (P.S.) (edition 2012)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Member:macnaubj
Title:Elegy for Eddie: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (P.S.)
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:Harper Perennial (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Jamie: 11/23/12. BOM2

Elegy for Eddie by Jacqueline Winspear

Eddie Pettit is a simple lad who is a horse whisperer, during this era horses are becoming scarcer but he is still popular, he dies due to what looks like a freak accident but there are questions by some of the costermongers who hire Maisie to investigate. She finds herself embroiled in plots and conspiracies and mounting bodies. She's also questioning her romance and how she can use her money to do the right thing.

It's not a bad read, I enjoyed it and the characters. Though Pru needs to stop giving Maisie clothing and demanding that Maisie either lets her use some of her money to shop for her or hire a dressmaker instead of giving her cast-offs. She also needs to apply some more clue by fours about Maisie's guilt about spending. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jun 1, 2016 |
Elegy For Eddie – Jacqueline Winspear
3 stars

This is the ninth book in Winspear’s Maisie Dobbs series. This book has Maisie investigating the not so accidental death of the simple-minded Eddie Pettit. As she investigates, Maisie delves into a number of sensitive issues: the intimidation and exploitation of the weak, the competing powers of unions and big business, the uses and abuses of propaganda and the free press. Any one of these themes could have made an interesting book. Touching all of them served to make the story superficial.

Eddie is a character from Maisie’s childhood. Returning to her early roots forces Maisie to examine her uneasiness with her new status among the wealthy. Maisie’s relationship struggles and her adjustment to her new financial security seem to dominate the narrative. That was a shame because Eddie and his mother were appealing characters
and their story was more interesting to me.

I still like Maisie Dobbs and Winspeare’s treatment of this historical period. I will probably continue to follow the series which is clearly headed towards Maisie’s involvement in World War Two.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Elegy for Eddie by Jacqueline Winspear was the ninth Maisie Dobbs book. This was one of my least favorite of the series because it was so much about Maisie's internal dialogue and so little about the mystery. It's just not easy to feel sorry for someone having a crisis over having inherited too much money. I did however enjoy the various depictions of the differences between the haves and have-nots of the time. This was definitely a transition book though, both in the things going on in Maisie's life and also in the world as Hitler starts coming to power and WWII looms on the horizon.

http://webereading.com/2016/01/a-series-of-murders.html ( )
  klpm | Feb 13, 2016 |
Although the story doesn't resolve itself in the usual way, it does give closure to the characters who are affected by Eddie Pettit's death. Although I like to read descriptions of settings and actions that affect the plot and my understanding, I wish Winspear or her editors would cut back on some of her descriptive writing. Often it doesn't move the plot forward and just interferes with the story. That said, I like learning about England between the wars, what it was like to survive the first World War and then begin to realize that another was coming. And I love watching Maisie's relationship with James Compton develop; it's very modern in that Maisie is a career woman who can't drop her identity to become someone's wife, and can't totally move away from her working-class roots. I look forward to finding out what happens next in Maisie and James' story. I have an idea, but we'll see if it turns out as I imagine it might. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Feb 5, 2016 |
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in a Goodreads giveaway.

First off: the book is enjoyable, but it's not like previous books in the series. This book marks something of a turn in Maisie's life - she starts to confront her now not-so-new wealth and the repercussions of her intentions and actions towards the people in her life. While I normally enjoy character development, I felt that this book was too much character development - and not necessarily successful at that - and too little mystery. The resolution of the mystery at the end was very anticlimactic - not even a resolution, really - and it felt very out of character for Maisie. She's fierce, caring, and has a strong sense of justice. But she just lets the culprit off because of impending fears about Hitler? It doesn't come across as all that believable, I'm afraid. In previous mysteries, Maisie would've found a solution that still managed to satisfy justice, even if not through official legal channels, but she doesn't seem to try very hard here. I'm happy to see Maisie grow and adapt to her new life, but I also want the mystery. I hope future volumes in the series don't put the mystery in the backseat. ( )
  Lindoula | Dec 27, 2015 |
And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse. - Bedouin legend
For evil to happen, all that is necessary is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke
Once in a while you will stumble upon the truth but most of us manage to pick ourselves up and hurry along as if nothing happened. -- Winston Churchill
Dedicated to Oliver and Sara
Maudie Pettit pushed the long broom back and forth across the wet flagstones, making sure every last speck of horse manure was sluiced down the drains that ran along a gully between the two rows of stalls.

Maisie Dobbs takes on her most personal case yet, a twisting investigation into the brutal killing of a street peddler that will take her from the working-class neighborhoods of her childhood into London's highest circles of power. Set in London between the two world wars.… (more)

110 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,737,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible