Elegy for Eddie: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (P.S.)…

Elegy for Eddie: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (P.S.) (edition 2012)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Member:annie-b
Title:Elegy for Eddie: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (P.S.)
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:Harper Perennial (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:mystery, England, Maisie Dobbs, historical, overdrive ebook

Elegy for Eddie by Jacqueline Winspear

Recently added byEdmee2M, private library, Yells, duchessjlh, themulhern, Dorritt, dustydigger, EvaHamill

WWII looms large, Dobbs hobnobs with the soon to be famous, and the crimes get serious for one of her assistants. This is a bit of a turn, and I kind of wish the series could have continued w/out the name dropping and famous figures. But probably the author wanted to try something different. I could not see how Maisie was in the wrong any more than her benefactor, Maurice Blanche had been when he made her rich by dying. ( )
  themulhern | Oct 13, 2018 |
This installment is the 9th in the Maisie Dobbs series and the first I read. It will most probably be my last.

The fact that I hadn't read the previous books didn't affect my knowledge of the story, because the author likes to remind us of Maisie's past. That's all well and good, naturally. But then, it happens for the second time. And once more. And when it happened again, I had to drink two mugs of hot coffee to keep on reading. Or watch a thriller. That was the main problem of the narrative. The repetition was out of proportion, actually. I don't need to read about her life in the past more than once, I got it the first time, I'd like to think I am not stupid. I don't need a pack of pages repeating Maisie's doubts over ler love life with the least interesting character in British Literature. Seriously, a paragraph 1/3 into the novel is repeated three times during the 300-plus pages with different words. It was frustrating to say the least. The same problem took over the mystery Maisie Dobbs is called to solve. Although the crime story was plausible and unpredictable enough, I could do with 80-100 pages less, and without the tedious dialogues. Which brings me to the second major fault of
Elegy for Eddie.

The interactions between the characters are written in a wooden, stale way, and I had the feeling I was reading repeated (as in boring) monologues. More often than not, while in discussions with each other, the characters seem to give external voice to their inner thoughts, something that I find unrealistic. The characters themselves are nothing to write home about. Maisie Dobbs is passable at best. She is clever and persistent, and I appreciated the fact that she doesn't like to be patronized by men, especially that boar of a boyfriend of hers, James. Can someone explain the maths of the reason she stays with him, and doesn't leave him once and for all?. He is a total joke. Soapy, patronizing, and completely unsuitable for her, or any other woman for that matter. The only characters I enjoyed were Sandra, Inspector Caldwell and Maisie's father. And that's about it.The only redeeming quality of the novel is its historical context, set a few years before the nightmare with the name Adolf Hitler spread his shadow of death all over he world.

So, all in all, another failed attempt of mine to find a good British cozy mystery. Colour me disappointed and disillusioned with the genre. Let us hope that the Mary Russell series will be better...

AmaliaGavea | Jul 15, 2018 |
While there was a case to be solved, the more interesting parts of this novel revolved around Maisie and her attempts to cope with the ways in which her life has changed - particularly her disconnect from the class she was born into and the class into which she has risen and her feelings of guilt. It makes this installment in the series particularly engaging. ( )
  tjsjohanna | May 22, 2018 |
Another winner in the Maisie Dobbs series. This installment spends more time having Maisie examine her motives and path in life, and the mystery starts the series heading toward the threat of World War II in Europe. I always enjoy these stories and am looking forward to the next one. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
I purposely did not read my review of Winspear’s previous Maisie Dobbs novel, A Lesson in Secrets, because I didn’t want the disappointment I felt in that book to cloud my judgement of Elegy for Eddie. I have invested a lot of time into this series and want nothing more than for my love affair with Maisie and her world to continue for a long, long time. After A Lesson in Secrets, I had serious doubts. Thankfully, Winspear addressed my biggest complaint in Elegy for Eddie, focusing almost exclusively on Maisie’s development as a character.

The mystery Maisie is tasked with solving involves a man from her childhood in Lambeth, Eddie Pettit, a simple-minded man (who might be considered autistic in the 21st century) who has a way with horses. It takes her back to her humble Lambeth roots and throws her newfound life as a rich woman in an affair with a Viscount into sharp relief. Maisie is uncomfortable with the legacy Maurice left her, as well as uncomfortable with the position she holds as James’ lover. To all appearances, she has everything she should ever want but realizes that this life, especially that part with James, suffocates her. As a result, her relationship, the one that Winspear has failed to develop, goes from off the page bliss in the previous two books to on the page tension in this one.

The reviews on Amazon have been positive, with the one recurring caveat that Maisie spends an inordinate amount of time navel gazing. In comparison to previous books where inner thoughts about her personal life were restricted to a few sentences sprinkled throughout the book, the amount of introspection in the novel is shocking. It is, however, long overdue. All the self-reflection and conflict with Billy and his wife and James moves her forward as a character in a way that hasn’t happened since she had her breakdown in book three.

What does this mean for the Maisie? She and James have settled into a relationship that is basically a placeholder for each until they find the person they fall in love with. To paraphrase a comment Maisie made to Priscilla regarding their affair, she and James have shown each other they can love again. Maisie was confronted, by a few different instances, the most notable being the attack on Billy and the repercussions, by the fact that, in the guise of helping, she tries too hard to order everyone elses’ life. Her aid truly comes from an empathetic, caring heart, but the inheritance from Maurice has enabled her to go overboard (buying a house for the Beales; paying for Sandra’s college) and has put her friends in the position to never be able to repay her. Finally, her insistence on walking a “narrow path” and trying to account for every eventuality before it happens, as well as her lack of experience in the wider world made her realize her life is lacking in spontaneity, fun and travel. Hopefully, all of this introspection will allow Maisie to spread her wings a bit more.

Ironic that I have not addressed the central mystery in the mystery novel. In the end, it is less about the simple horse whisperer from Maisie’s past, but instead is about one man’s plan, through his media empire, to increase patriotism and remind the British people all they have to lose if it comes to war with Hitler. The man, Otterburn, is in cahoots with Winston Churchill, who at this point in British history was a political outcast, spending his time writing essays about I don’t now what, and if Winspear is to be believed, preparing the British people, mentally, for the war some were sure was on the horizon. James Compton is even involved in Ottoburn’s long-term plan. It seems far-fetched at first glance, but upon reflection, I admire the way that Winspear was able to weave characters we’ve been familiar with for a while (James, Priscilla’s husband) into the long road to war storyline.

As far as I’m concerned, The Mapping of Love and Death is an anomaly in the series, though I admit that it might improve on a re-read, especially with the knowledge of where Maisie is going. I feel that, with Elegy for Eddie, Winspear has finally committed to looking forward instead of back, with Maisie as well as with the world she lives in.

Other Thoughts:

This is the first mystery that has nothing to do with the Great War.
Maisie only mentions her work as a nurse once in the book. And Billy’s communication skills from the war play no part at all. Progress!
One of my favorite books is Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher. It’s always entertaining to count the number of times people have tea. I found myself doing the same thing in Elegy for Eddie. Seriously, what is it with the Brits and drinking tea?
I do hope that Maisie moves forward with the times, soon, and has Sandra and Billy start calling her by her Christian name.
If Maisie does go abroad, I predict she goes to Germany. I hope we go with her.
I’m still holding out hope for the drawing-room mystery I suggested in last year’s review.
Well, I read the book in a day and now I have to wait another year for the next book. That makes me a sad panda.
  MelissaLenhardt | Mar 11, 2018 |

Winspear, Jacquelineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, Andrewsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferguson, Archiesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse. - Bedouin legend
For evil to happen, all that is necessary is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke
Once in a while you will stumble upon the truth but most of us manage to pick ourselves up and hurry along as if nothing happened. -- Winston Churchill
Dedicated to Oliver and Sara
Maudie Pettit pushed the long broom back and forth across the wet flagstones, making sure every last speck of horse manure was sluiced down the drains that ran along a gully between the two rows of stalls.

Maisie Dobbs takes on her most personal case yet, a twisting investigation into the brutal killing of a street peddler that will take her from the working-class neighborhoods of her childhood into London's highest circles of power. Set in London between the two world wars.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,267,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible