Hormone Jungle: Coming of Age in Middle…

Hormone Jungle: Coming of Age in Middle School

by Brod Bagert

I had just read this book because Brod lives down the street from me, and I thought of it when we the class read My Name is Mina. Brod's powerful depiction of middle school girls and boys is so believable. He humorously captures the cares and quandaries that plague youths in puberty.

Let kids read these poems aloud. Enjoy the laughs. Bridget the generation gap. Repeat. ( )
  Desirichter | Jul 3, 2014 |

Like the surge of tidal flood waters that come right before a hurricane, angry feelings about the Steven Gilleys of the world began to rise inside me, and that's when it happened. The sound of an angry voice, the universal voice of the sixth-grade girl fed up with the pestilence of male immaturity, began to form in my head.

I sat down and wrote my first poem.

Open Christina's scrapbook and enter a world where girls rule and boys drool, where hormones rage, and where poetry captures the impassioned, lovesick, humiliated, and hilarious voice of the middle school student.

College-bound Christina Curtis scrapbooks her years in middle school as a memeber of the Digital Poets, a group of students who find their voices through verse. Weaving her own narrative into the poems of her peers, Christina tells the story of her friendship with Steven Gilley, the obnoxious girl-teasing, and "unbearably immature" boy who incites her to write her first poem. But Steven holds a secret that makes him wise beyond his years, leaving Christina to wonder if there isn't more to this "unbearable" boy than meets the eye.

From best friends and crushes, to underarm hair, and an all-out battle-of-the-sexes poetry war, the varied voices of the Digital Poets reflect both the humor and angst of middle school students coming of age in the Hormone Jungle.

Featuring color art by middle school students. Flexible Hardcase cover.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:15 -0400)

College-bound Christina Curtis is creating a scrapbook of the Digital Poets, her middle-school poetry group, which, interwoven with her narrative, reflects the hormonal angst of middle school.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,335,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible