My Lunatic Life by Sharon Sala

My Lunatic Life (edition 2011)

by Sharon Sala

Member:rkchr
Title:My Lunatic Life
Authors:Sharon Sala
Info:Bell Bridge Books (2011), Paperback, 156 pages
Collections:Paranormal
Rating:**1/2

My Lunatic Life by Sharon Sala

Tara Luna lives with her Uncle Pat, has since her parents died. He is as best a parent as he can be to the young girl. We meet them as they move to Stillwater, Oklahoma.
Another new school where they can call her Luna the Looney, Moon Girl, or even worse, witch. Tara is not only psychic but has a couple of hundred-year-old ghosts, Millicent and Henry, who provide a little protection and advice and cause general mayhem to embarrass Tara at every opportunity.
Other than her ghostly followers and rare ability to read minds and peer into the future a little, Tara is just like every other teenager: likes the bad boys, has a run-in with the head cheerleader, etc. Sala follows the pattern of typical high school cliques that all of us have run into one way or the other.
Dealing with the rigors of just being a teenager and full of angst, Tara also handles being the new girl and the knowledge there is a foreboding dark presence in the house she and Uncle Pat moved into. By the time she meets the ghost of the young girl who was murdered there, helps save the life of a student at school who is having a seizure, and leads the police to one of her schoolmates who has been kidnapped, all by demonstrating her psychic powers to her new friends, Uncle Pat is forced to believe there is more to Tara than meets the eye.
Using real places and street names in the Stillwater area helps bring this book to life. In this, the first in the series of the “My Lunatic Life” young adult novels, Sala gives us a plucky little heroine to cheer for and leaves us eager to read the next book, for after all, there is still a murder to solve if the ghost of the child in her house is to be appeased.

MarkPSadler | Jan 17, 2016 |
Originally reviewed at Witchmag's Boekenplank

Well this was a very light / fluffy read (with emphasis on very). There’s no other way to describe this book. Even though it was entertaining, and very amusing when a certain ghost started meddling, there was not much depth in this story. Everything went too smooth, too easy. Even when watching CSI, they usually end up with several dead ends before finding the murderer. Here it was way too obvious how the story would end and therefore I could not feel any angst or excitement for figuring everything out correctly.

There were also times in the book were the point of view switched to Flynn, to see his thoughts about certain events. Normally I’m someone who can’t get enough from reading through the eyes of the romantic interest, the very hot bad boy, who might or might not have certain feelings for the main character. This time, however, I cringed every time I was in Flynn’s head. It just felt wrong (sorry can’t describe it any other way). It was like Flynn didn’t have his own voice, his own identity. It seemed as if he became Tara, what should not be possible even with all her powers. And it just felt awful.

We also have a major case of insta love. Fortunately there were not a lot of romantic moments. That was another thing that made me cringe. Unless you’re soulmates (and even then) it’s just not possible to develop such strong feelings in such a short amount of time. Thank God romance wasn’t a big issue in this story and was kept in the background.

The ghosts were very fun, though. Especially Millicent and her mother-bear-whose-cub-is-threatened behavior made me smile. I really liked her. It was a shame, though, that we only got to know the ghosts as clouds of plasma with a voice. I’d really liked some more info. Like how old they are, how they became a ghost, what they look like. And most of all: why stick with Luna? That and more questions came to my mind. But only a very few got answered…

Tara was also a character that I liked quite a bit. Even though she could be a bit dense at times. Who would otherwise go and confront a possible murder all alone, without saying anyone where she was going???? On the other hand she’s got just the right amount of spunk to stand up against bullies. Although having psychic powers and two ghosts as back-up helps a lot ;)

Conclusion

2 HEARTS. A very, very light book where you don’t have to use your mind. Just sit back and enjoy, even with cringe worthy scenes like Flynn’s point of view and the attempt at romance. Though, Tara and the ghosts are amusing enough to stop you from throwing the book away. ( )
  Iris-Boekenplank | Dec 22, 2013 |
Tara Luna doesn’t live life as a typical teenager. She has lived with her uncle since the day her parents died. He is constantly moving around. He two best companions are two ghosts named Millicent and Henry, and oh, did I forget to mention she can read minds?
Tara has moved to a new school. It is her senior year which makes thing even more difficult. She deal with the stuck up cheerleaders, lands herself a boyfriend named Flynn. Tara has used her abilities to help people at school and to get back at Prissy. When Bethany, one of the cheerleaders disappears Tara decides she must use her abilities to find her. She keeps getting little flashes of what Bethany sees. Now if this isn’t enough to wet your appetite then let’s throw in the ghost that lives in the house Tara and her uncle have moved into. A demanding ghost who insists she find their murderer and get them justice. The action just kept coming. I love books with a lot of twists and turns where the action just keeps going. The entire time I was reading I was thinking of the shows I used to watch, “Medium” and “Ghost-Whisperer”. If you like ghost stories and paranormal stories then I can guarantee you won’t be disappointed with this one. ( )
  skstiles612 | Dec 21, 2011 |
The life of the average teenager is far from easy, but for Tara Luna the complications might seem overwhelming. After all, as a psychic, she can read the thoughts of others, which makes dating an insurmountable challenge (what with all of those gross thoughts in boy's heads). Also, she can see and interact with spirits. If you ever want to seem crazy, try talking to a “person” whom only you perceive. For the record, that usually leads to a diagnosis of schizophrenia. However, Tara is fortunate in a number of ways—she has the love of her Uncle Pat, the only family she knows at this point, and the protection of her two best friends, Henry and Millicent, who happen to be ghosts. And at her new school Tara has Flynn, her new boyfriend who is as much of an outcast as she is. Of course, she must deal with more popular “mean girls” who are hellbent on making her life miserable, but it comes with the territory of adolescence. Now, unfortunately for Tara, a new problem has surfaced, one that is less than typical for the average teen—a dark spirit demands Tara's assistance in solving the case of her mysterious murder, and if she thinks that Prissy and her popular female cronies are capable of bringing her hell, just wait until she recognizes the potential of this ghost to make her life a nightmare. Then, to add to the drama, a girl from school disappears, and it seems like Tara is the only one who can find her. Time is short, and who knows what it will take. Welcome to Tara's lunatic life...
...My Lunatic Life is the new novel from award-winning, highly-acclaimed author Sharon Sala, who is a specialist in both romance and suspense genres. This new series, which details the extraordinary life of Tara Luna, is of a more paranormal sort and perfect for avid readers of young adult fiction with a more supernatural nature. My Lunatic Life marks the start of this YA paranormal mystery series and of Tara's adventures in her complicated and challenging world. Look for My Lunatic Life by Sharon Sala, in bookstores everywhere. For more information about this novel, the author, and/or her previous works, visit the following site: http://www.sharonsalabooks.com/. ( )
  readersentertainment | Oct 24, 2011 |
I received a copy of this book free of charge from NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

Tara Luna leads a very unusual life. First, she is being raised by her Uncle Pat, who is a displaced hippie who moves her from place to place, never staying for very long. He has been raising her since she was a baby, when her parents died in a car accident. Second, her two best friends are Milllicent and Henry, ghosts who have been with her for as long as she can remember. Third, she's psychic, although she has tried very hard to hide it from everyone. When she was younger she used to try to tell her Uncle Pat about her visions and her "friends", but he told her not to talk about, that he didn't believe in that stuff at all. She learned that it's hard enough always being the new girl without everyone thinking she was crazy to boot.

When the book starts, she and Uncle Pat have moved again and she is starting her senior year of high school. She starts out with her usual routine of trying to blend in and not draw attention to herself, but when the cheerleaders demand that she move from the table she is sitting at (THEIR table), she decides enough is enough! It's her last year and she's not just gonna take it any more! She stands up to them and is immediately put on their hit list. Instead of hiding her talent, she starts using it, sometimes to help people (a teacher who doesn't know her babysitter is stealing money from her, and a boy who is having a seizure in one of the boy's bathrooms), and sometimes just to get people off her back and out of her face (usually the aforementioned cheerleaders!). When the head cheerleader, Bethany, is kidnapped, Tara starts getting psychic flashes that only last moments where she sees what Bethany sees and feels what Bethany feels.

The only good thing that happens to Tara when she starts the new school is Flynn O'Mara, the hottest boy in the school, and he's noticing her right back! Unfortunately, he's the ex-boyfriend of the missing cheerleader, Bethany, which complicates things a bit.

Another problem in Tara's life is that her new house has a ghost living in, and what she learns about this new house-guest sets her off on another quest to use her gift to help the ghost get justice.

I really liked this book because it was nonstop action from page 1. It had a good clean YA romance, a couple of mysteries to solve, and a lot of humor. It was really funny! This is how the book starts off:

"The alarm that Tara Luna had set with such confidence last night yanked her rudely from Channing Tatum's arms, just when he was about to kiss her.

OMG ... did the universe have a wicked sense of humor or what?"

Maybe you have to have a huge crush on Channing Tatum like I do to really appreciate that one, but I laughed out loud when I read it!

I could go on longer about all the things I liked about this book and other things going on, but I'm sure you're bored with me by now! The book ended on a cliff hanger, setting up the next book in the series, and I for one am going to be buying it as soon as I can :D ( )
  jwitt33 | Oct 19, 2011 |
Something is wrong somewhere close.

Bell Bridge Books

An edition of this book was published by Bell Bridge Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,217,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible