The Golden Door by Emily Rodda

The Golden Door (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Emily Rodda

824147,013 (4)6
Member:mala_gabrielle
Title:The Golden Door
Authors:Emily Rodda
Info:Scholastic Press (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 272 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:adventures, series books, dragons, siblings, time travel, fantasy

The Golden Door by Emily Rodda (2011)

a five star most excellent read!
This was a fascinating preteen fantasy that made me wonder…why were there no books like this when I was young?
Young Rye must chose a door but, not just any door, he must chose either the Wooden, Silver or the Golden door to leave his beloved city of Weld on a mission to find his two brothers Dirk & Sholto who have left in the hopes of finding whatever evil has unleashed the deadly skimmers upon his people.
I read this book straight through, I loved it, I loved it so much I am buying copies for my niece & nephew
It wasn’t until I started getting close to the end I realized there were still two more doors to go through and hey, what about Sholto?……that I realized it was going to be part of a trilogy!
This is good and bad news for us series "biblionuts"….bad in that now I have to wait for two more books to come out before I will finally know what happens and, good in that I have two more books in this wonderful magical series to read!
This is a thrilling adventure story filled with monsters, magic, good, evil and most important of all… love of family and home. ( )
  annie.michelle | Dec 29, 2012 |
This is a very good fantasy for kids. The characters, monsters and plot are crackling with imagination. The story involves a boy named Rye's quest to find his two missing brothers who are trying to find the source of flying monsters called skimmers that are terrorizing his home in Weld. The quest takes him through many dangers and Rodda is quite good at keeping the tension high even though you know since its a children's book that Rye will emerge unharmed. Eventually he saves one of his brother while almost totally forgetting brother two until the very end when Rodda is setting up the sequel. The skimmers are also forgotten another problem transparently saved for book 2 and book 3. But it is for kids and they will like it I am sure. ( )
  muddyboy | Oct 4, 2012 |
Review: The Golden Door by Emily Rodda
5 STARS The Golden Door is a exciting adventure. I did not put the book down and can't wait till the next book comes out. In the wall City of Weld its the season for Skimmers. The skimmers are great big winged monsters that will eat anyone or animal it finds. People hide in thier homes in the dark. Every crack is filled in. No noise to draw them in attacking. Lately thier have been more and more deaths. The Warden of Weld annouced that they are willing to take volunteers to go out of the city by themselves to hunt for whoever is sending the skimmers to attack them. The widow Lisbeth has three sons . Only the oldest Dirk was old enough to sign up. Dirk was brave,strong and usually good natured. He was tired of the Warden not doing enough to stop the skimmers. He works like his father did before him building on the wall higher. Sholto was the middle son he is thin, cautious and clever he works with the city healer. Learning how to heal broken bones and potions. Rye was still in school learning. He has dreams that show him different things that are happening. Dirk volunteered to go out of the city and find who was sending the skimmers into thier city. Until the notice went up no one believed that they could even go out of the city. I was going to say a little more of the story but realized it might give away part of the storyline that you will want to read. This is a fantasy book with magic, monsters. in different lands to meet. Friends to meet and plenty of bad guys too. It is a good story. The characters are likeable unless they are the ones you hate. They have good and bad faults. No swearing or sex scenes in the book. Just a good entertaining story. I was given this book to read in exchange of honest review from Netgalley. 10/01/2012 pub. Scholastic Inc. Inprint Scholastic Press ( )
  rhonda1111 | Oct 3, 2012 |
Another great fantasy quest novel by Emily Rodda, full of scary creatures, vile villains and a likeable unassuming hero. ( )
  Brindle | Sep 23, 2012 |
It was the season for skimmers, and this year more skimmers than ever were coming over the Wall of Weld.

At night the skimmers fly over the Wall looking for human prey and the people of Weld huddle in their houses, but after his two brothers set out through the magic doors in an attempt to find the Enemy and don't come back, young Rye knows that he must follow and find them.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,771,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible