Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

Info:Simon Pulse (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

Recently added bysreeparna, private library, bhl21, tennwisc, MABoone, mylifeinverse, thenerdypuffer

Review coming up on Booknerd777.Blogspot.com ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
Review coming up on Booknerd777.Blogspot.com ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
This was a good teen read. It is the story of a young girl who faces the challenges of being the oldest child during a time of turmoil in her family. She seems older than her years in many ways, and like an ordinary teen in other ways; often she seems the adult in the family, while her mother remains able to guilt her into certain actions. The characters are not entirely fully rounded or enjoyable, but I found the story line easy enough to follow, and the language and romantic scenes are "safe" enough for middle teen readers.

I did not enjoy this book as much as Fixing Delilah, but it was enjoyable just the same. I would feel comfortable adding this to my middle school collection. ( )
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
An okay read about a teen who is very unsure about what she wants/feels...which many can relate to! (certainly I can...)

Hudson has spent the last couple of years hiding out in her mother's diner, baking amazing cupcakes and trying not to think about the ice-skating career she walked away from and the dad that walked away from her, her younger brother, and their mom. But when she meets a new hockey boy, Josh, who asks if she'd be willing to help him improve her skating, she begins to think more about what *she* wants, instead of what her parents want for her. ( )
  kayceel | Feb 25, 2014 |
I'm not surprised that I loved this book. Sarach Ockler is an exceptional writer. Who else could take cupcake making, parental abandonment, figure skating and hockey and turn in it into a riveting read?

The way this story embraces so many different types of relationships without loosing the strand is amazing.

I think what I enjoy the most about Ockler's writing is that her characters and settings are so realistic. The stories are engaging, yet the reader can stay connected to the characters because they are real people.

Addendum: Here are some examples of the fine writing that I especially loved:

"We're all gonna leave, right? Today, tomorrow, the next day, one day. Sometimes I imagine the great and final exodus, all of us wrapped in scarves and mittens and puffy coats, piling on the Erie Atlantic with two suitcases apiece, dousing the place in gasoline and tossing a match, hitting the tracks and never looking back."

"Dani passes me a cinnamon-smelling Mocha Morris from Sharon's Cafe, the cat-themed coffeehouse near school, and leans against the bench at Bluebird Park. On this cheery, once-a-decade winter anomaly, the sky is the color of sapphires and the entire world is covered in diamond dust, snow sparkling under the rare, white sun. A yellow lab bounds toward us and I lean forward to scratch behind his ears: I have to hold my drink above his head to keep him from slobbering it all up. "Feel better?" Dani asks. "A little."'

"Bug wraps his hands around the defenseless angel and twists her in half, ravaging her from halo to toe. He yanks off the wings. Pulls out clumps of spiderwebby hair. Rips at her cardboard dress. Crushes the paper towel roll body. In a final act of vengeance, he grabs her Styrofoam ball head, breaks it off at the neck and tosses it into my lap, scattering her other remains on the floor between us. The whole raging episode is over in fifteen seconds, and I wonder if this is one of those things that parents of serial killers look back on as a sign. Maybe it is. But when he turns to me and that ear-to-ear gap-toothed grin rises on his face like a sun on some distant planet, my heart melts. My little brother is just fine. Perfect, even." ( )
  Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |

Hudson Avery gave up a promising competitive ice skating career after her parents divorced when she was fourteen years old and now spends her time baking cupcakes and helping out in her mother's upstate New York diner, but when she gets a chance at a scholarship and starts coaching the boys' hockey team, she realizes that she is not through with ice skating after all.… (more)

50 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,621,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible