Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

Info:Simon Pulse (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

I think she's a great match for Sarah Dessen fans who are ready for something a little more mature. I do have a beef with this cover - where's the cupcakes? Ice skates? I don't think it matches at all. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Review coming up on Booknerd777.Blogspot.com ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
Review coming up on Booknerd777.Blogspot.com ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
This was a good teen read. It is the story of a young girl who faces the challenges of being the oldest child during a time of turmoil in her family. She seems older than her years in many ways, and like an ordinary teen in other ways; often she seems the adult in the family, while her mother remains able to guilt her into certain actions. The characters are not entirely fully rounded or enjoyable, but I found the story line easy enough to follow, and the language and romantic scenes are "safe" enough for middle teen readers.

I did not enjoy this book as much as Fixing Delilah, but it was enjoyable just the same. I would feel comfortable adding this to my middle school collection. ( )
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
An okay read about a teen who is very unsure about what she wants/feels...which many can relate to! (certainly I can...)

Hudson has spent the last couple of years hiding out in her mother's diner, baking amazing cupcakes and trying not to think about the ice-skating career she walked away from and the dad that walked away from her, her younger brother, and their mom. But when she meets a new hockey boy, Josh, who asks if she'd be willing to help him improve her skating, she begins to think more about what *she* wants, instead of what her parents want for her. ( )
  kayceel | Feb 25, 2014 |

Hudson Avery gave up a promising competitive ice skating career after her parents divorced when she was fourteen years old and now spends her time baking cupcakes and helping out in her mother's upstate New York diner, but when she gets a chance at a scholarship and starts coaching the boys' hockey team, she realizes that she is not through with ice skating after all.… (more)

50 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,782,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible