Any Empire

by Nate Powell

"[A] group of small-town kids find themselves bound together by geography, boredom, and a string of mysterious turtle mutilations. Years later, with Army tanks rolling through the streets of their hometown, these young adults are forced to confront painful questions of privilege, duty, betrayal, and courage" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

I didn't like Swallow Me Whole at all ... why did I try to read this thing? Ug. Apparently I am not cut out for Powell's books, so I think I'm done trying. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
I think this requires a second read to get a handle on all of the themes surrounding militarism in the U.S. I'll definitely be picking up more of his work. ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |
Many interesting ideas underlying this story but disappointingly developed. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
A little chaotic and somewhat hard to follow but an interesting story on war and violence and our perceptions of justice. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
This book was ambitious and is brilliant in places but tries too hard to be different and loses the narrative. ( )
  yeremenko | Aug 23, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,937,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible