Coyote Steals the Blanket by Janet Stevens

Coyote Steals the Blanket

by Janet Stevens

What happens when Coyote steals a blanket against the advice of Hummingbird? Will the Boulder catch Coyote & get its blanket back? Can Coyote be saved from being crushed?

A fun story.
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
It's a great story about stealing. It teaches about connsquences and how they can follow you in life until you right the deed. The art incorporates the southwestern theme and helps create the atmosphere. It's a good choice book when teaching about morals.
  vanessa6 | Feb 3, 2012 |
Stevens, Janet. (1993). Coyote steals the blanket: a Ute tale. New York: Holiday House.
Coyote wants to be King. Hummingbird tells him NOT to touch the colorful blankets on the rocks. Of course, he ignores her; he thinks they would look beautiful on him as a new coat. Once the blankets are taken from the rocks, the rocks start rolling after him. He asks different animals to help him stop the rocks, but none are able to do so. Hummingbird tells him he must return the blankets to the rock spirits or they will crush him. The rock catches up with him and Hummingbird agrees to help him if he gives back the blanket. Hummingbird "fixes" his tail that was crushed by the rock and fluffed it up. Does Coyote learn from his mistakes? NO! He goes after the blanket -again!
The illuatrations by the author, are colorful, dynamic and mostly life-like renditions of desert animals.
  ranaemathias | Jul 7, 2010 |
Retold and illustrated by Janet Stevens, this folkloric story unfolds to reveal a traditional trickster tale for young readers and beyond.

"Coyote darted in and out, back and forth among the rocks. 'I go where I want, I do what I want, I take what I want', he bragged. I should be crowned King of the Desert'. Hummingbird tells him: The spirit of the desert is angry because he has taken what doesn't belong to him."

A wonderful prose with a wily character that teaches children how to obey rules (or else there will be consequences!).
  Brianna82 | Jun 20, 2010 |
Coyote thinks he is the king of the desert. 'I go where I want, I do what I want, and I take what I want, ' he says. Well, when he ignores Hummingbirds warning and takes one of the beautiful blankets in the valley, he is suddenly chased by a huge spirit stone. The Hummingbird hates to see a creature die, even when they are stubborn like Coyote, so she saves him and tells him to give the blanket back. He does this time, but it is made clear at the end of the book that he never really learned. Beautiful illustrations, unusual story. ( )
  savannah.julian | Jun 7, 2010 |
"I go where I want, I do what I want, and I take what I want, " he bragged.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 082341129X, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:00 -0400)

Coyote receives his comeuppance when he tries to take something that does not belong to him. In this amusing Indian legend, a rock chases a coyote after the animal steals a blanket that had covered it.

1 avail.1 pay

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,412,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible