The Irish Cinderlad by Shirley Climo

The Irish Cinderlad

by Shirley Climo

Other authors: Loretta Krupinski (Illustrator)

This retelling of a folktale is pretty different from the any other Cinderella story. This is due to the fact that the Cinderella of the story is a male who has to fight a dragon. The similarities are there, but it almost doesn’t even feel like a Cinderella story. It is good for the story it is trying to tell, but it does feel weird to call this a Cinderella story. I think generally people would enjoy the changes to this Cinderella. In my opinion it is much more interesting than the “original”. ( )
  JasonCam1 | Mar 18, 2018 |
A male Cinderella?! Yes please! Becan never had much to worry about in his life. His biggest issue was how huge his feet were. However, Becan's life took a turn when his father remarried to his new stepmother, who had three (awful) daughters. His stepmother, and three stepsisters, treated him horribly by making him work in the fields and feeding him crumbs. Becan had enough and ended up running away. On Becan's journey he receives help from his magical bull friend, slays a dragon, and saves a beautiful princess. Before the princess could thank him, Becan disappeared and the only thing left was his big, clumsy, boot. The princess searches all over to find who the owner of the boot is and eventually gets her answer, and possibly a happy ever after.

LOVE the twist of this book. We need more male Cinderella figures in this world. I love how it started off as a traditional Cinderella book would begin. We are introduced to our protagonist and then the horrid antagonists (stepmother and three stepsisters). That number three shows up again with the three stepsisters, which I found interesting since it's usually only two stepsisters, or sisters. We also have the magical element within this book when we are introduced to his friend, the bull. Which I got very upset when the bull died because I don't think I have read a "fairytale" where someone dies. Maybe I am naïve? I love how there wasn't a ball involved in this story, and instead we see Becan conquering obstacles he is faced with. I think Becan can be a great role-model for little boys when introducing the many Cinderella stories in the world. Fairytales are for girls AND boys with this book. ( )
  aquinn | Mar 14, 2018 |
"The Irish Cinderlad" followed closely to the story of Cinderella with few variations. This is the story of a boy whose mother passed away for his father remarried. His stepmother made him become a herd boy while his stepsisters always spied on him. They would call him "Little Big Foot" because he was small but had very big feet. They thought he was useless. He found out they have seven years, the princess would have to be saved from a dragon, so he went down to the water where she would need to be saved. Once he saved her, he had to leave, but he left behind his boot. The princess was sure she had to find the man who saved her from the dragon. When she slipped his boot on and it fit him, she deemed him the next prince. The plot was the same and had an overall same story line. The variations were due to the character being a boy instead of a girl. The story also matched an Irish culture. The illustrations depicted the story line for the cinderlad along with things from the Irish culture. ( )
  eburlette | Oct 7, 2017 |
Becan was definitely an interesting male Cinderella. Conquering obstacles rather than attending a ball, and losing a giant sized boot over a dainty glass slipper. I really enjoyed it as something different yet clearly catching the Cinderella-esque moments withing the story. ( )
  rparks | Sep 22, 2016 |
This tale was interesting to me because it started out looking like it was going to be a sort of Cinderella tale, but with a boy instead of a girl. The boy in the tale friends a bull, who seems to have a magical touch to him and helps the boy get through some hardships. Toward the middle, the bull dies but leaves his tail for the boy and it has his magical touch to it. The boy defeats the dragon, and saves the princess, becoming Prince Becan.

The most interesting part of the story for me was the beginning. Because it started out almost identical to the traditional Cinderella tale, it caught my eye and hooked me on the book. The illustrations in the book have so many different colors and shading that it really brings to life the story of Becan and how he overcomes the different obstacles he faces throughout his life. ( )
  cbuquet5 | Feb 18, 2016 |

Shirley Climoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Krupinski, LorettaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A hero's feats?

Ever since he was a baby, Becan's only worry has been his big feet--until his widowed father remarries.  His new stepmothr and her three daughters feed him crusts of bread and banish him to work in the fields.  So Becan runs away.

With the help of his only friend, a magical bull, he defeats a giant, slays a dragon, and rescues a princess.  But before she can thank him, Becan disappears, leaving behind him one of his enormous boots.  The princess scours the kingdom for the owner of the giant boot.  Will Becan's feet give him away?  And what will his fate be if they do?

Folklorist Shirley Climo retells an age-old Irish tale that is an unusual twist on the popular Cinderella story. Just like his female counterpart, Becan has a mean stepmother and stepsisters. Unlike Cinderella, Becan has large feet and a magical bull for a fairy godmother. He defeats a sword-swinging giant, slays a fire-breathing dragon, and rescues a princess. But before the princess can thank him, he runs off, leaving her with only an enormous boot to aid her in the search for her rescuer. And, as in all Cinderella stories, true love prevails.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:01 -0400)

Becan, a poor boy belittled by his stepmother and stepsisters, rescues a princess in distress after meeting a magical bull.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,520,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible