Oath of Office by Michael Palmer

Oath of Office (edition 2012)

by Michael Palmer

Member:nyiper
Title:Oath of Office
Authors:Michael Palmer
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2012), Paperback, 464 pages

Oath of Ofiice by Michael Palmer

Recently added byDRLA, private library, Kenb181, librarymary09, Ruby95, Carolee888, bookbroke, Patbilly

Oath of Office by Michael Palmer has been sitting on my shelf for a while so I decided to give it a try. The story was off to an exciting and dramatic start with Dr. John Meacham, letting his anger go to the extreme. He had been punished previously for yelling at a patient by having his medical license suspended for six months. And now another patient, Roberta Jennings was running out of his office after he screamed at her to lose weight. She said that she was going to report him to the board. He knew that she was eating herself to death but he could not contain his anger. He pulls out his pistol of a locked drawer. He thinks that he has to save his career. She can’t go back to the board but there were no eye witnesses only people who heard the screaming. He shoots the nurse, his partner in the practice and the people in the waiting room and lastly himself.

Dr. Lou Welcome was Dr. John Meacham’s friend. Nine years prior he had his own license suspended for self-prescribing amphetamines. He went into Rehab at the Physician’s Wellness Center and did so well that he was later hired as a monitor by the group. That is how he had met Dr. Meacham. He had thought that Dr. Meacham was doing exceptionally well with his anger management. Dr. Filstrip, his boss at the rehab center for physicians contacted him with the news about the mass shooting. Not only had he lost a good friend, his good friend has shot seven people but now his job is also in jeopardy.

The beginning of this book was very strong, I loved learning about Dr. Welcome’s relationship with his daughter and his ex-wife. Dr. Lou Welcome’s goal is to find out why his friend did this and to save his job. So a great mystery was started. There was also a side story about the president’s wife and her friend from childhood. The story was riveting and then I felt like I was thrown out of the story and into a Jurassic Park. I don’t want to spoil the story for you so I will not relate the details to you. I felt that he had switched genres. From then one, I kept reading the story but was too incredible to believe.

This starts out as a medical thriller but turns into science fiction so if that is not a problem for you, then you will enjoy this book. I just had too much to swallow at the end for myself. ( )
  Carolee888 | May 27, 2014 |
"Oath of Offce" is an interesting read with many twists and turns, creating a mild amount of suspense. The connections among the characters are sometimes vague, with the plot muddied somewhat by that.

Despite those few quirks, I enjoyed Lou's efforts to be the good, honest guy trying to do his best to better his world. His relationship with his mentor and sponsor is intimate and tender, and Lou has a program that works because he works hard at it.

Keep writing please, Dr. Palmer, I love having a meeting in print while I relax with your books. ( )
  Patbilly | Apr 29, 2014 |

Patbilly | Apr 29, 2014 |
From the book jacket:
"Dr. Lou Welcome is a 42-year-old ER doc in Washington D.C., who lost his medical license for an alcohol and drug addiction and, subsequently, lost his marriage as well. After five sober years, Lou is hired as a part time case-worker for the D.C. Physician Wellness Office (PWO), monitoring docs with mental illness. He advocates for his favorite client, Dr. John Meacham, to return to practice, only to have Meacham blow up at a patient and murder five people before shooting himself. Lou’s efforts to help Meacham are hindered by a series of unexplainable mistakes and bizarre behaviors in Meacham’s community.

First Lady Dr. Darlene Mallory is a pediatrician and wife of 2-year president Martin Mallory. She is trying to help her friend Russ Evans, who resigned as Secretary of Agriculture after an indiscretion in a motel with an underage woman. Evans claims to have been set up and Darlene believes him. She is contacted by a mysterious man who claims to have proof of Evans’ innocence and that Evans was forced out of office because of his policies against genetically modified food. Against her husband’s wishes, she sets out to clear Evans’ name.

Darlene’s efforts bring her together with Lou, who has become convinced that people are being adversely affected by the rapidly growing corn being produced and harvested by a huge, powerful corporation. Their feelings for one another intensify as they race against the clock, trying to stop a massive shipment of the genetically modified corn bound for worldwide distribution."

This could have been a hard-hitting condemnation of Monsanto and other companies pushing genetically modified food at any cost. However, it came off a little hokey. The thought of the "monster" termites was really gross. The dialogue didn't flow. And Dr. Welcome was a sort of an idiot detective even though he wasn't supposed to be. As much attention as he paid to some people's behavior that helped move the story forward, he completely ignored other glaringly odd behavior that could have kept him out of danger and just made dumb, illogical decisions. ( )
  bohemiangirl35 | Oct 30, 2012 |
I really enjoyed this book as the storyline was very inventive and could possibly happen. ( )
  TomWheaton | Sep 27, 2012 |
"I'm finished. I can't believe this has happened again."

"What if a well respected doctor inexplicably goes on a murderous rampage? When Dr. John Merriman goes on a shooting spree at the office, his business partner, staff, and two patients are killed in the bloodbath. Then Meacham turns the gun on himself. The blame falls on Dr. Lou Welcome. Welcome worked with Merriman years before as a counselor after John's medical license had been revoked for drug addiction. Lou knew that John was an excellent doctor and deserved to be practicing medicine and fought hard for his license to be restored. After hearing the news of the violent outburst, Lou is in shock like everyone else, but mostly he's incredulous. And when he begins to look into it further, the terrifying evidence he finds takes him down a path to an unspeakable conspiracy that seems to lead directly to the White House and those in the highest positions of power"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible