Lone Wolf: A Novel by Jodi Picoult

Lone Wolf: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Jodi Picoult

When his father and sister are injured in an accident that has rendered his father comatose, estranged son Edward decides to stop his father's life support so that his organs can be donated, a choice his sister urges him to reconsider.
Member:Chancelet
Title:Lone Wolf: A Novel
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Atria/Emily Bestler Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages

Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult (2012)

Recently added byrena75, katlady67, StacyShevlino, Ajayg52, Jennicareads, private library, hoskinsd, khal_khaleesi
    And Sometimes Why by Rebecca Johnson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Decisions about the care of a loved one on life support divide the families at the center of these two novels, which feature well-drawn characters dealing with grief after a traumatic event.

I was glued to this book. As someone that has worked extensively with people with brain injuries and was very loosely involved with wolf research on Isle Royale, I thought it was all interesting. But I realize my background is weird and not shared by lots of people too :) ( )
  jill1121 | Jun 1, 2019 |
Luke Warren, an expert on wolves and wolf behavior (primarily because he's studied and even lived with them), is involved in an auto accident after picking up his 17-year-old daughter Cara from a party. Cara sustains only a moderate shoulder injury, but Luke suffers a traumatic brain injury and is on life support, not expected to regain consciousness. Luke's son, Edward, left home 6 years previous at age 18 following an argument with his father and has not spoken to him since. Following the accident, Edward is summoned home by his mother (Luke's ex-wife), and as he is Luke's only adult living blood relative, he is forced to make a decision about whether to cease life support or allow his father to live in a vegetative state. His sister is not yet old enough to legally make this decision, but unfortunately, she and Edward do not see eye to eye.

As with virtually all of Picoult's books, this one deals with a controversial subject matter, which is, more than anything, what continues to draw me to her books. I love the way she can approach both sides of a controversial subject and make the reader see things from both points of view. As with many of her books, there is both family and courtroom drama, as well as some family secrets that are not immediately revealed. This story also includes a lot of factual information about wolf packs -- their familial and social behaviors -- which is interwoven and compared to those of human behaviors.

There were things I liked about this book and things that I didn't care for. While I liked the basic story line and I read this book very quickly because I wanted to know how it would end (and because Picoult's writing style lends itself to quick reading), I didn't feel the emotional connection that you might expect with a story such as this. I think this was primarily due to the quality of the characters: none of them were very likable. I was also waiting for a big ending, but it was somewhat anti-climactic. It was an enjoyable book, and I feel like I learned a lot about wolves, but it was not necessarily one of my favorites by Picoult. ( )
  indygo88 | Mar 24, 2019 |
This book was awesome. I really love her books. They always make you think about your own life choices and make you feel for the characters. I will definitely read more of hers. ( )
  SWade0126 | Jan 11, 2019 |
This review was originally posted on Melissa's Midnight Musings on November 24 2012.

I'm a big fan of Jodi Picoult, and have been for a while. I don't know quite why but since her last two books have come out I haven't rushed right out to get them. I did put myself on the library waitlist to get this and Between the Lines though and this one came in just a few months ago after having been waiting for it for almost 6 months. (I'll be reviewing Between the Lines soon)

The first thing I noticed about the book is that the front and back flaps are full color pictures of leaves. I thought this was a nice touch, so much better than boring white flaps. I can't remember having seen a book with inside cover flap pictures before so that is pretty neat.

There are a lot of neat quotes about wolves scattered throughout the book, which is a really nice touch. The comparisons of wolf packs to human elements like the mafia, and even human families are interesting to read about. The book gives you a new angle on the subject of wolves within these frames of reference that makes their hierarchy easier to understand.

In terms of the story itself, there are a lot of twists and turns. Some of them you see coming, some of them you don't. I don't want to ruin the story for anyone, so there won't be any spoilers here.

As with many of Picoult's other books there were medical and legal elements, which is her general niche. This book went relatively light on the courtroom and legal drama at first but then it picked up toward the middle of the story.

Also in what I would say that I've noticed is typical Picoult fashion the family turns on each other at certain key events. There are moments when Cara's stepfather, Joe, has to basically stab her in the back (figuratively speaking of course) because he is representing Cara's brother Edward. Their mother is forced to be in the middle, to try and do what's best for both of them.

There are some interesting secrets in this book. Especially the one that Cara's hiding. When I read it I was slightly let down because I thought it would be more serious than it was, or just be something different. Its' still important and impactful, just not what I was expecting.

I did feel bad for each of the characters in turn in the book. For Cara, Edward and their mother, Georgie, I felt sorry that they were so let down by Luke in different ways, and that often times he chose his wolves over them.I felt sorry for Luke that he couldn't connect with his family all that well.

One thing I didn't like were some of the corny plays on words that are sprinkled throughout the book. One lawyer says that her mothers name is Crystal Chandra Leer. As if that isn't bad enough, her own name is Helen Bedd. (Just say them out loud, you might cringe like I did) I don't remember Picoult's other books having cheesy plays on words like these so I was slightly let down by that.

Overall this was really enjoyable. I definitely recommend this to Picoult fans as well as anyone who'd like to learn more about wolves. ( )
  Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |
Quand la vie d'un père est dans la balance, qui a le droit de choisir son destin?
  ACParakou | May 30, 2018 |
All stories are about wolves. All worth repeating, that is. Anything else is sentimental drivel...Think about it. There's escaping from the wolves, fighting the wolves, capturing the wolves, taming the wolves. Being thrown to the wolves, or throwing others to the wolves so the wolves will eat them instead of you. Running with the wolf pack. Turning into a wolf. Best of all, turning into the head wolf. No other decent stories exist. - Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin
For Josh, Alex, and Matthew Picoult

Your aunt loves you. Lots.
In retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have freed the tiger.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,110,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible