Come Home by Lisa Scottoline

Authors:Lisa Scottoline
Info:St. Martin's Press (2012), Edition: 1st Printing, Hardcover, 384 pages
Tags:purchased, to-read, At the Lake

Come Home: A Novel by Lisa Scottoline

A bit far fetched for me, and some of the dialogue was much too lengthy. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
If she continues to write books like this I will continue to read her. I thought it was fabulous! She did an excellent job developing the plot and the story. Her books keep you involved right up to the very last page. They also keeping you guessing to the last page. Definitely worth reading. ( )
  SWade0126 | Jan 11, 2019 |
This is the story of a divorced mother who is finally getting her life back on track after a bad divorce. She is about to remarry, has a job as a pediatrician, and her daughter is a happy teenager. Things take a turn when her ex-stepdaughter, Abby, shows up at her house one night claiming that her dad was murdered and begs Jill to help. Jill agrees - even though her fiance doesn't approve - and finds that things don't add up. It does look like her ex-husband's death was not accidental. The further involved she gets with her ex-stepdaugher's life and the supposed murder, the more in danger she becomes.

I didn't like this book at all. It was truly awful. The characters were boring, and I rolled my eyes more than once at the constant "I love yous" and hugs these people had for each other. It was overkill and poorly written. I just have nothing good about it. I understand this author has a lot of other good books, and I put one on my challenge for next year, but after reading this....I might re-think it.

Stay away. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
It's part exploration of motherhood part mystery. Pediatrician Jill Farrow has one daughter (Megan) and two former stepdaughters (Victoria and Abby). She's engaged to Sam (who has a son Steven). Jill hasn't seen her two former stepdaughters since their father, William, walked out on her--until Abby suddenly reappears in her life claiming that William was murdered.

This begged two questions from me: 1. Why did Abby go to her ex-stepmother whom she hasn't seen in several years vs. going to her older sister Victoria? and 2. Why does Abby think that a pediatrician could solve a murder? Both these questions are addressed by the author, but not until a ways after I'd had the chance to think them and wonder about them.

I also didn't think Jill was setting a particularly good example for her 13 year old daughter,Megan. She's both living with and sleeping with her fiancé, Sam.

Then, despite many people (her fiancé, her best friend, and her other stepdaughter) telling her it is a bad idea, she continues to champion Abby--even to the extent that it might ruin her relationship with Sam--because she feels it is her duty as Abby's one-time-mother to do so.

I was glad to see some growth in many of the characters. Jill comes to terms with what happened with William so that she can move forward into her relationship with Sam free from those encumbrances. She also comes to learn a bit more about balancing life between work and family and between various family members who need her. Victoria learns who her father really was and is willing to admit that Jill is not the enemy. She also appears to forgive Brian's deceit and be ready to give him a potential second chance. Abby grows up--she goes from driving drunk to finding a potential career. Sam goes from demanding Jill not invite Abby into their home to being willing to expand their family to include not only Abby but Victoria as well. Both Jill and Sam learn more about communication.

Jill seems to be doggedly stubborn in trying to figure out what happened to William and later what happened to Abby. I have to wonder if it might not have been better for the FBI to have let her in sooner rather than later--of course, then the book wouldn't have been as exciting. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Nov 3, 2018 |
Lisa Scottoline delivers taut thrillers with a powerful emotional wallop. In Come Home, she ratchets up the suspense with the riveting story of a mother who sacrifices her future for a child from her past.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Sep 8, 2018 |
Physician, heal thyself-"The Holy Bible", Luke 4:23; It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.-Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventures of the Beryl Coronet" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
This novel is dedicated with deepest gratitude to Jen Enderlin, my amazing editor and friend.
Jill stopped on the stairway, listening.

Jill Farrow is a typical suburban mom who has finally gotten her and her daughter's lives back on track after a divorce. She is about to remarry, her job as a pediatrician fulfills her---though it is stressful---and her daughter, Megan, is a happily over-scheduled thirteen-year-old juggling homework and the swim team. But Jill's life is turned upside down when her ex-stepdaughter, Abby, shows up on her doorstep late one night and delivers shocking news: Jill's ex-husband is dead. Abby insists that he was murdered and pleads with Jill to help find his killer. Jill reluctantly agrees to make a few inquiries and discovers that things don't add up. As she digs deeper, her actions threaten to rip apart her new family, destroy their hard-earned happiness, and even endanger her own life. Yet Jill can't turn her back on a child she loves and once called her own. Come Home reads with the breakneck pacing of a thriller while also exploring the definition of motherhood, asking the questions: Do you ever stop being a mother? Can you ever have an ex-child? What are the limits to love of family?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,134,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible