Fire-Hunter by Jim Kjelgaard

Fire-Hunter (1951)

by Jim Kjelgaard

I enjoy rereading the Jim Kjelgaard books I read as a youth. Perhaps it is because he was such a good story teller, and his works hold up well despite the years between the original publishing date and now. Fire-Hunter is no exception to that observation.

Hawk is a prehistoric youth, about 16, who has inherited his father's role as the weapon maker for his tribe, but Hawk isn't content to just provide spears to the hunters, he likes to think about how to make his spears work better.

And because of his ideas, and actions, he finds himself abandoned by the tribe, left to die along with a young girl who was wounded in an attack.

Kjelgaard's books are entertaining and engaging: I found myself drawn into Hawk's situation and how he not only survived, but thrived on his own. Recommended for all. ( )
  fuzzi | Sep 25, 2013 |
An amusing tale of how we might have acquired domestic dogs, smoked food and the Arrow.
Even as a child, I found the story light reading, but the storyline held together well, as did the obstacles they had to overcome. ( )
  dragonasbreath | Nov 12, 2011 |
I will always remember this book fondly, though I don't remember much about the story itself. I read it when I was perhaps eight or nine. It was the first book that ever really gripped me. I am not sure what it was about the story, but I can still remember that feeling of being totally swept up into the world of a book. I was very excited to find it and remember the experience some years later. Five stars for the memory..... ( )
  JFBallenger | Apr 19, 2007 |
For Louise Raschig
The top of the hillock which the tribe was climbing was studded with boulders, some so big that they overhung both sides of the hill.

Hawk grasped the pup by the scruff of its neck and reached for his club. This was why he had brought the animal home - now let him serve as food for a hungry man.
Swiftly, Willow snatched the pup from his hands. Hawk got to his feet with a growl of rage - a woman had defied him!
"Do not kill it! We have food!" Willow cried. She rose and faced the enraged man. But as she stared over his shoulders, her eyes widened in fear.
Hawk turned and saw the sabertooth tiger between them and the safety of their fire.
--------------

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,015,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible