A Short History of England by Simon Jenkins

A Short History of England (edition 2012)

by Simon Jenkins

Member:Alastair
Title:A Short History of England
Authors:Simon Jenkins
Info:Profile Books (2012), Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:History, England

A Short History of England: The Glorious Story of a Rowdy Nation by Simon Jenkins

Recently added byBookMonster_28, glwebb, Soupdragon, private library, Irena., EvaLe, Stitswerd, meanderer, ThothJ

A thoroughly fascinating read! I learned so many things about English history that I didn't know. A more detailed review to follow. ( )
  ThothJ | Dec 4, 2015 |
  ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |
A exhaustative, yet not quite comprehensive of England through he ages. Each of the chapters deals either with a king, queen or prime minister, and is set up in bite sized chunks, but unfortunately this is so dryly written it feels like a school textbook. Hard work in a lot more than a few places, this is for the reader who has more than a general interest, but neither the time, nor inclination to go into the whole thing in a lot more depth. I found this hard work and not quite as rewarding as I was hoping. ( )
  aadyer | Sep 18, 2015 |
A broad, accessible history for those readers not well versed in English history.
added by Christa_Josh | editKirkus Reviews (Nov 15, 2011)

I have roamed England all my life.

From the Battle of Catterick (AD 598) to the premiership of Tony Blair, one of Britain's most respected journalists, Simon Jenkins, weaves together a strong narrative with all the most important and interesting dates in a book that characteristically is as stylish as it is authoritative.… (more)

17 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,148,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible