Frederick by Leo Lionni

Frederick (1968)

by Leo Lionni

2,7561992,128 (4.13)15

This book has unique illustrations and uses higher vocabulary. This book is also a good teaching tool to inform students about what animals do to prepare for winter.
  tsmugz | Sep 6, 2016 |
Genre: Fantasy
Medium: gouache, watercolor
This is a story about a family field mice collecting food for the winter. Once mouse doesn't help collect food, instead he is sitting around, and says he is collecting color and words. In the end, when there isn't food left, he uses the color and words to make the other mice happy. I like this book, because the illustrations are very different from a lot of picture books. A cute poem is also presented at the end of the book. I could use this book when talking about seasons with my class, I would use it as an anticipatory set, since there isn't any factual information about the seasonal changes. I also think this would be a good book to use for an art lesson, and kids could try to mimic Leo Lionni's illustrations, using chunks of construction paper.
  sophiadale | Aug 2, 2016 |
I read this several times when my sons were pre-schoolers. A variation of Aesop's Ant & Grasshopper" fable - and typical of Lionni's work. It takes me, with my Ant-like work ethic, a bit of work to appreciate Lionni's world-view - but it's worth it. A modern classic." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A sweet story about mice who learn that all in the world is not about survival, but also about beauty and hope. Now honestly, I've always thought that Frederick could have lent a hand while he was storing up the beauty of the world, but I suppose I am not of the artistic temperament.

I love the paper collage look of the illustrations. ( )
  MrsLee | May 1, 2016 |
The theme of the story that even though it doesnt look like frederick is doing much, everyone contributes in their own way
  Rachel_Scarborough | Apr 18, 2016 |
A publicação de Frederico[1] (2004), uma fábula de Leo Lionni que recria, com laivos de modernidade, o texto clássico de A Cigarra e a Formiga, também revela as potencialidades que este tipo de estrutura narrativa revela em edições contemporâneas. Neste caso concreto, Frederico, o protagonista, encarnará a figura do poeta como um elemento fundamental na sociedade, uma vez que as suas criações não só enchem de beleza e de alegria a vida dos outros, como desempenham um papel tão crucial como os próprios alimentos. De alguma forma, assiste-se, no caso concreto deste texto, a uma subversão da fábula tradicional, uma vez que a figura da cigarra, cantora e dançarina, despreocupada em relação ao futuro, é agora transformada num ratinho que se inspira no sol e nas cores de Verão (e na observação da beleza da paisagem natural que o rodeia) para recriar as palavras e, de alguma forma, o mundo. Os leitores já não encontrarão uma cigarra cujo amor pelas artes é castigado, mas a defesa de que todas as actividades humanas, realizadas com empenho e paixão, são úteis para a sociedade, uma vez que o trabalho de Frederico é reconhecido e elogiado por todos, incluindo aqueles que, no início, tinham alguma dificuldade em compreender a sua singularidade. | Ana Margarida Ramos
added by RitaCirne | editCasa da Leitura, Ana Margarida Ramos
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Rondom de weide waar koeien graasden en de paarden draafden, stond een muur van oude , oude stenen.

While the other field mice work to gather grain and nuts for winter, Frederick sits on a sunny rock by himself. “I gather sun rays for the cold dark winter days,” he tells them. Another day he gathers “colors,” and then “words.” And when the food runs out, it is Frederick, the dreamer and poet, whose endless store of supplies warms the hearts of his fellow mice, and feeds their spirits during the darkest winter days. Frederick’s story will warm readers as well in this Caldecott Honor winning fable.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:11 -0400)

Better Beginnings Favourite Authors. While the other mice work hard to store food, Frederick the mouse thinks and dreams so that he can lift everyone's spirits during the long cold winter days. Includes simple related craft activity. 2-5 yrs.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,847,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible