An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy…

An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace (edition 2011)

by Tamar Adler, Alice Waters (Foreword)

Member:sinki
Title:An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace
Authors:Tamar Adler
Other authors:Alice Waters (Foreword)
Info:Scribner (2011), Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:Christmas 2012

An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace by Tamar Adler

Recently added byprivate library, BBleil, karyberg, gordo11231, Chankie, AgusiaH, revliz, GwynethM, wjmcomposer

I think I expected this book to be more of a beginner’s guide, which it emphatically is not. Adler assumes that her users know their way around a kitchen. Her ideal reader seems to be one who often cooks from recipes but finds cooking too much trouble to do often. Some parts of the book were a little off-putting for that reason—I’m more of a beginner—and parts were off-putting because she assumes that everyone likes everything (capers, olives, fennel, cilantro, etc.).

So my approach was to try the parts I understood. First, I salted the water when I made pasta. Definite improvement! Then I added salt, olive oil, and various vegetable odds and ends when I cooked beans in the crock pot. Oh my goodness, I had no idea beans and the water they cooked in could taste so good! I’m looking forward to trying some of her more advanced ideas, like possibly making confit. Adler has a very engaging writing style; this lady loves cooking and food, and describes it with a sort of economic detail that makes everything sound delicious and worthwhile. And while she recommends buying some relatively expensive foods, like locally raised chicken, she does not assume that the reader has a bunch of fancy pots. One sharp knife and whatever odds and ends of pots you might have are enough to get started here. ( )
  jholcomb | Sep 21, 2014 |
Enjoyable and entertaining. Ms Adler writes so that you are interested in trying her food.
Her rice pudding is divine.
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
This is not a cookbook, this is living and cooking alongside your grandmother, receiving all those invaluable bits of wisdom, tasting the broth, discussing the food and learning not to waste a thing in the kitchen. It also has some recipes in it. It is poetic, the words have a rhythm and flow and are a pleasure to read. I found it affirming, since I already practice many of the suggestions written here (I've been cooking for 34 years on my own). I also found it inspiring, encouraging me to go further and giving me terrific ideas to do so.
This would be a wonderful book for someone starting their cooking life, but who never had a grandmother to cook alongside. It is grounding, and removes fear from the equation. My grandmother and mother lived and cooked like this; I have been blessed to have them.
I love the index at the end, since many great ideas are mentioned in passing and I will want to go back to them at some point. Though I don't agree with all of Adler's conclusions, she doesn't ask me to. She only asks me to consider them. Like any friend or mentor would. ( )
  MrsLee | Mar 1, 2014 |
I stopped on page 145 of this and will come back to it later - not because I didn't like it - I loved it - but because it deserves more attention than I can give it right now. And because it was due and I ran out of renewals. I will definitely re-read and probably buy it.
  liz.mabry | Sep 11, 2013 |
An Everlasting Meal is an amazing book, at once both a memoir and a guide to cooking without worry. Adler believes that too many people don't cook, because they think it's too hard or too much work. The reality is that they simply haven't learned how. Starting with boiling water and moving on to matters such as eggs, beans, and beyond. Using what you have is given great emphasis, as is reusing left overs. Interspersed with the narrative are recipes using the techniques discussed in that section. I've already used some of her ideas in my own cooking to great effect, and can definitely say I've learned a lot. ( )
  inge87 | Jul 3, 2013 |
Adler, Tamar. An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace. Scribner. Oct. 2011. c.272p. index. ISBN 9781439181874. $25. COOKING
Adler, who opened a farm-to-table restaurant in Georgia and cooked at Chez Panisse (Alice Waters here contributes a foreword), offers insight into how to make simple foods into enjoyable meals, e.g., food scraps that are normally thrown away are instead used for soups, bones for stock, and orange peels for marmalade. In the chapter “How To Boil Water,” she encourages readers to put on a pot of water, then figure out what to throw in it—vegetables, pasta, potatoes, beans, even meat—increasing flavor with each item. Adler devotes a chapter to eggs, which can easily create a meal via a variety of cooking techniques, and she includes a recipe for Tortilla Española (simply potatoes, onions, and eggs). She also offers inspiration for making an exciting salad from in-season produce. VERDICT Working with mundane, simple foods and easy cooking techniques, Adler shows readers how to stretch their ingredients and add flavor to foods. This is not a cookbook but a narrative featuring easy-to-implement ideas that will encourage seasoned cooks to experiment and make mealtimes pleasing experiences.

Tamar Adlerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Waters, AliceForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

An Everlasting Meal, so beautifully authored by Tamar Adler, is a guide to food, life, and literature; filled with humor, stories, and easy recipes. Foodies, note that the Forward is by Alice Waters.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 143918187X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: Michael Ruhlman Reviews An Everlasting Meal

Michael Ruhlman is the author of The French Laundry Cookbook and The Making of a Chef.

I'm sent countless advanced proofs of books asking for "blurbs," words of praise that the publisher can use to entice book buyers. I get so many, in fact, that they can feel more a burden than a pleasure. An Everlasting Meal by a writer I didn't know was one such book, so it was all but accidental that it came with me on a July trip to the beaches of the Outer Banks of North Carolina, where I opened it, reclined on a towel on a gorgeous stretch of sand. By the time I was half finished, I'd already contacted the editor to say I'd happily write something on behalf of this book, because I love it. It's smart, graceful and strangely, beautifully reassuring.

Tamar Adler, a writer and cook who has logged serious time behind the line in actual restaurants, sets out to model her book on How to Cook a Wolf by the doyenne of literary food writing, M.F.K. Fisher--an audacious, incredibly presumptuous intent. Adler does neither Fisher nor herself a disservice in the comparison. The essays in this book are truly fine, formed from both thought-provoking ideas and practical advice about food, cooking and eating. I've read few books that ask us to think about food with this kind of elegance, whether discoursing on how to cook an egg or how to set a table. I always looked forward to picking this book up, and I always felt an ease and comfort while reading. It's hard to imagine a more elegant book of essays on the subject.

A worthy companion to Fisher, highly recommended. --Michael Ruhlman

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:44 -0400)

Tamar weaves philosophy and instruction into approachable lessons on instinctive cooking. By wresting cooking from doctrine and doldrums, Tamar encourages readers to begin from wherever they are, with whatever they have.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,393,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible