dismiss

Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You…

Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should (and Shouldn't) Cook… (edition 2012)

by Jennifer Reese (Author)

"A lively, frugal-chic answer to the question "Make or Buy" about 120 different food staples"--"Does becoming part of the home cooking movement mean cooking everything from scratch? According to Jennifer Reese, known as The Tipsy Baker to her online foodie following, there are plenty of products that you should buy at the store. Make your own bread, for instance, but buy the butter--making butter takes too long and doesn't taste better. Jennifer Reese's popular cost-benefit experiments became the most emailed story on Slate for a week, and this book brings her conscientious, frugal-chic approach to 120 food staples in a narrative with recipes that explores the homemade life"--… (more)
Member:lolibrarian
Title:Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should (and Shouldn't) Cook from Scratch to Save Time and Money
Authors:Jennifer Reese (Author)
Info:Atria Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:2020

Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should and Shouldn't Cook from Scratch -- Over 120 Recipes for the Best Homemade Foods by Jennifer Reese

I adore this book. ADORE. It's as if it were written just for me by a sassy, adventurous, food-loving friend willing to confess not just her wild homemade successes but her farcical, ill-advised, careening failures. Her Bay Area home base is similar enough to my own Seattle digs, her 70s childhood and its flirtations with the counter-culture movements of the era resonant, even her relationship to sensible daughter and patient, long-suffering husband all so familiar. Her judgements on whether to buy or make various food items, as well as her determination of how much hassle making these things really will be, strike me as completely sensible and exactly within my own cooking comfort zone. Moved this to my Must Own list before I even got to the end. Insightful, honest, and laugh out loud funny. ( )
  Nikchick | Mar 21, 2020 |
  Nikchick | Mar 21, 2020 |
I got this as a Christmas present years ago, and I’m sorry it took me so long to read it. I think anyone who likes to mess around in the kitchen, and/or read about food would probably enjoy it. There was some unsettling stuff in it, especially if you’re a vegetarian, but overall it was a fun read. I laughed out loud many times! I might even try some of these recipes eventually :). ( )
  readingtangent | Apr 26, 2019 |
It’s seldom that I rate a cookbook five stars, but Make the Bread, Buy the Butter is so much more than a cookbook. Cover blurb says: “When Jennifer Reese lost her job, she was overcome by an impulse common among the recently unemployed: to economize by doing for herself what she had previously paid for. . . . So Reese began a series of kitchen-related experiments, taking into account the competing demands of everyday contemporary American family life . . . . Although you should make your hot dog buns, guacamole, and yogurt, you should probably buy your hamburger buns, potato chips, and rice pudding. Tired? Buy your mayonnaise. Inspired? Make it.”

Reese considers much more than just the cost-saving (or not) of making your own, but also time and effort expenditure, ethics, and quality & taste. Where her opinion is that you should make something, she provides a recipe – over 120 of them.

I always try at least one recipe from a cookbook before I pass judgment. In this case, it was ‘Simplest Buttercream’ frosting. It was that simple – and scrumptious.

But it’s not the recipes that made me love this book – it was the wit and warmth as she regaled me with the stories of cooking, baking and animal husbandry. I read this cover to cover, and every bit of it was a delight.

A huge shout of thanks to Leslie at Under My Apple Tree for prompting me to buy it.

5 stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | Mar 21, 2018 |
After losing her job Jennifer spends a year evaluating what is worth while to make at home, and what is better left to the professionals. She includes recipes, which are a bit pedestrian for anyone who already cans, preserves, and generally cook everything from scratch. However, it was an entertaining read and the recipes she included are good solid fare. Her writing is amusing, breezy and thoughtful.

I'm comfortable recommending it to newbies starting to cook more of their own basics, and as a light bit of whimsy for more experienced home cooks.
  LynneMF | Aug 20, 2017 |
To Mom, coauthor
Until recently, I never considered making my own peanut butter.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,601,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible