Dark Companion by Marta Acosta

Dark Companion (edition 2012)

by Marta Acosta

Member:TequilaReader
Title:Dark Companion
Authors:Marta Acosta
Info:Tor Teen (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:boarding school, fantasy, fiction, foster care, mystery, orphans, paranormal, paranormal romance, romance, urban fantasy, young adult

Dark Companion by Marta Acosta

Hmmmm What to day about this book. I liked it and I didn't like it.

First off I'm not sure how I feel about the main character, Jane. When we first see Jane she is telling off the woman who ran the group home she was staying at. When I read that, I thought "All right- a kick ass character who doesn't take anyones shit". I couldn't have been more wrong. Its seems as if Jane changes when she gets to birch grove school. She lets Lucian aka "Lucky" (WTF is he a dog?)do whatever he wants with her and all she thinks about is him kissing her and touching her. She always says that she's not going to let Lucky treat her the way he does which is kinda like a bloodletting slave(He only wants her blood for his condition...see further down). However her resolve to teach him a lesson about his treatment of her goes out the window when he hasn't called or stop by her cottage in a few days. Then she's all "Oh I can't wait for him to come", "I hope he calls", "I miss him so much" and yadda yadda. She also goes as far as NOT going out with her friends so that she can stay by the phone in case Lucky calls and she'll be there in case he stops by. Talk about pathetic. However, the time where Lucky tries to do something sexual with her (becasue he thinks that's what she wants), she stops him and is like 'Oh i just realized.. I don't want Lucky after all... I want his brother Jack!" I mean gimme a break. This girl changes guys like she changes her underwear. After that almost sex scene, Jane is now completely in love with Lucky's brother Jack. Please.

Now on to Jack. I must say that I did like his character. He was funny, outgoing, silly and I liked the way he made fun on Jane by calling her "halfling" or "pixie" or "elf". I like the way he spoke, as if he was always joking but he wasn't and you had to look deeper in his responses to see what he really meant. I like how he looked after Jane and it was very romantic when he wrote/sang the song for Jane. Of course they end op together in the end which is stupid because of the way Jack overlooks the fact that Jane wanted his brother first before him. But whatever, I guess a happy ending is what the author wanted.

As for Lucky, he was spoiled whiny brat and a loser. He was supposed to be very beautiful but his description wasn't doing it for me. I thought Jack was wayyy better than him from the beginning of the story.

One character I really loved was Mary Violet. For me, her and Jack made the book. She was hilarious and I found myself laughing out loud at the things she said. I loved how dramatic she was and how she lived in her own world. She is very loud and seemingly superficial but underneath she's a really good friend and a good person. I loved the way she would say all these french words and then translate them into slang. Her poems were funny as well as how she described her mother's paintings. I think she and Jack should of ended up together. She would have made a better main character. In fact I don't think I've ever read a book with a main character like her.. someone should get on that ASAP!

I did find the whole story line about the genetic anomaly that most of the townspeople had, interesting. The people, like Lucky and his parents, were kinda like pseudo-vampires (Jack was adopted so he didn't have the anomaly). They were human but they had a gene that made them faster and stronger than normal humans; they had the ability to heal cuts and small wounds instantly; they were not able to go out in the sun without heavy duty sunscreen or a hat; and they craved human blood. Most of the time the people with the anomaly drank animal blood and ate red food, but at times they craved human blood. So to satfisy that craving they developed the companion program. Basically its where a normal human is chosen for one of these people to feed on. The two persons are bonded for life and the normal human is to give their blood to their bond companion whenever they want it. The normal human is compensated by being given everything they want (education,money, housing, trips)and being taken care of their entire lives by their bond's money. Jane was chosen to be Lucian's companion and she is given the choice to agree or not. By this time she is in lust with Lucky so she said yes, like a dumbass. She kept saying things like "I want to be there for him", "I want to help him" or "He needs me". I would not agree to let anyone drink my blood unless its is a real vampire who agreed to change me into a vampire. Other than that, my blood stays in my body. However, when Jane realized she loves Jack not Lucky, of course she now wants to back out of her companion agreement. The a whole bunch of other shit happens that came completely out of left field and it ends with the town's companion program being suspended, Jane gets out of her companion agreement with Luck and she ends up with Jack.

I felt that the book was too long with whole lot of nothing going on in them. There really isn't any action and the action that is there lasts for about a page. I feel that the ending was rushed and that the things that happened in the ending were thrown in to make a nice little wrap up for the book. It seems like Jane gets everything she wanted in the end which is not how real life goes.

spantalian12 | Jan 10, 2014 |
I'd say probably 1 1/2 stars. There were things I liked (Jack, MV), but far more that I didn't. It was well-written, but really just not for me. I may or may not do a full review on it. I don't know if I can adequately explain my feelings.

Full Review:
Here's one that drew me in with the very creepy cover (which, sadly, I will not be posting because I had an e-book copy of it instead of a hard copy that I could take a picture of) and the premise. I'm sad that it didn't live up to the expectations that I had.

Here's why:

First of all, I couldn't stand Jane. I felt like she was flat for most of the book. I was bugged by her constant defensiveness, though I could forgive her that based on her upbringing. It wasn't what killed her for me. No, it was the fact that the boy she wanted put her in danger and SHE LET HIM DO IT. Over and over and over. She sort of tried to stand up for herself at times, but she was so wishy-washy that it didn't really take. Honestly, she was Bella all over for me, and you know how much I despise Bella.

Here's another thing about Jane - her inferiority complex AND superiority complex. How is it possible to feel inferior to someone and superior at the same time? Ask Jane, because she does it through the whole book.

Second, I felt like it took almost 3/4 of the book for anything to actually happen. There was so much buildup and introduction and what color bras are we buying for Jane that I got bored. This is a seriously creepy book and I GOT BORED. Not supposed to happen.
Third, the BIG THING that was supposed to completely blow me out of the water...didn't. Sure, it was creepy and on the disturbing side, but it was mostly cheesy. I was more interested in what Mary Violet was going to come up with next than I was about what would happen to Jane now that the BIG THING was out.

Here's what I DID like:

Jack. He was great. He was arrogant and kind of absurd, but in such a way that made me want to hang out with him. He was funny and a much-needed breath of fresh air.

Mary Violet. In a word? Hilarious. Her poetry alone makes the time I spent with this book worth it. Also, she makes up words that had me laughing out loud. And her French? Waaaaaaahahahahahahahaha!! Yes, she and I would be friends.

So, there you have it. I tried to like this book, and I did finish it. I'm glad there were two characters that I liked, because they really did save this for me. I still don't like it, but I have at least those fond memories and won't leave it with a completely poor opinion.

Because of MV and Jack, this gets 1.5 Eiffel Towers. ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |
Dark Companion was definitely something new and intriguing. Jane is someone you can really feel for and you can understand why she doesn’t think she deserves much or that she thinks that she should be treated a certain way. This novel brings to light topics like addiction and self-worth in a very interesting way.

The story was very slow paced which I understood was to build mystery, but I wanted something more. I felt like more needed to happen and I found myself a bit bored at times. But in saying this I must mention the story haunted me each day until I finished it and found out all the secrets it held!

I must also mention that there is a character named Mary Violet who I really loved! She was fun and funny and really helped me be interested in the story a bit more. The male characters did a bit of a tug of war with my feelings, I kept switching between them. The eternal optimist in me didn’t want to let either of them be “bad” and I kept changing my mind about them!

Definitely a unique read with a strange tale that you should read if this is your sort of thing!

What I liked:

* Interesting
* Great Mythology

What I didn’t like:

* Very slow paced ( )
  Sugar_and_Snark | Sep 24, 2013 |
"It’s a mystery to me why extraordinary young women insist they are normal."

I don’t know where to begin with this review. Let me say now that I loved DARK COMPANION. I truly loved this gothic tale of an orphaned girl making her way in the world. And while I had some issues with how DARK COMPANION ended, that really didn’t undermine my complete fascination with this story and with its heroine, Jane Williams. I think my difficulty comes with trying to organize and articulate my thoughts, so bear with me.

"I like science and math because they’re always reasonable, logical, and fair. The rules apply no matter who you are, or who you know. They make sense."

Let’s start with Jane. She comes from the wrong side of the tracks, has been raised in the foster care system, and pulls herself out of a horrific group home by winning a scholarship to Birch Grove Academy, an elite private school for girls that dangles the promise of future success in front of her, and seems to be a way out of the rough life she’s experienced so far. Jane is an incredibly compelling YA heroine – orphaned, tough, completely independent, smart, driven, and ambitious. But she’s also lonely and, while she might not admit it, she wants to be accepted. She wants to be loved. Jane has a completely rational, scientific perspective on the world, yet this driving need for acceptance and love and finding a place in the world where she fits in, makes her accept some irrational things; leads her to make some questionable choices.

This is particularly true of her relationship with Lucien, the headmistress’s son, who Jane is tutoring. She is infatuated with him and it’s this infatuation that makes the rational, smart, independent Jane start to lose herself and ignore the signs that something isn’t completely normal about their relationship and about the things he is asking her to do. I wanted to shake Jane. My heart went out to her and it’s a testament to Acosta’s writing that she was able to craft such a compelling young woman who feels old and young, strong and totally vulnerable in a very real way, all at the same time.

Other aspects of the story that worked for me were the dialogue and the relationships with the supporting cast of characters. Her interactions with Jack, the headmistress’s oldest son, are cryptic, witty, and crackle with electricity. She wants to punch him but you know she probably wants to kiss him, too. I also adored Mary Violet, Jane’s best friend at Birch Grove. Mary Violet is hilarious, has a romantic outlook on life, and genuinely cares about Jane. She wants to “funnify” Jane, which is fitting since she provides some of the funniest lines in the book, particularly her French translations.

"You’re the crème de la crème. That’s French for “all that and a bag of chips.”

And,

"Grand-mere calls me Marie-Violette and she’s always asking me about my beaux, which is French for “players with trust funds.”

Finally, the gothic atmosphere of the school and the Brontesque touches that call to mind Jane Eyre were all elements that worked very well in DARK COMPANION. If you are a Jane Eyre fan, like myself, you will have fun picking out all the nods to that story – orphan girl, tutoring, how she first meets Jack, etc. It all works together to create a dark atmosphere where nothing is what it seems. In fact, the overall mystery is compelling as well – the headmistress and her family are hiding something and what Jane soon realizes is that everything comes with a price.

The biggest negative for me came at about 85% into the book (I read it on my Kindle) where the main storyline is tied up but new questions are brought forward that feel less integrated into the plot. There was a sense that DARK COMPANION, in the end, wasn’t sure what it wanted to be – a paranormal mystery or a mystery? I’m really hoping there is a follow-up to this book so I can get an answer to that question.

The only reason I’m not giving a five howl rating is because of the ending – it needed to be stronger. But the writing is so smart on so many levels that regardless of the ending, I highly recommend DARK COMPANION for anyone interested in gothic tales with romance, mystery, and tough, complex heroines that steal your heart.

**An ARC of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.** ( )
  shewolfreads | Jun 10, 2013 |
I’m sorry, I know there are a lot of positive reviews about this book but I just couldn’t bring myself to write one. Sure, the writing style was good, but for me, the similarities between this book and Twilight were too striking for me to ignore.

Just think, Edward Lucian finds Bella’s Jane’s blood irresistible. His ‘perfect white teeth opened my wound more’ and he ‘latched onto the puncture’ yet Bella Jane doesn’t stop him, she just tries to hug him closer.

Another thing, no matter how horrible Edward Lucian treats Bella Jane, she still goes back to him after a like, three-second hesitation. That girl has no self-respect – especially in that scene after Edward Lucian ditches her in the party and leaves her to be driven home by Jacob Jack whilst he flirts with other girls. When he comes to Bella’s Jane’s house, what does she do after a few honeyed words of apology from him? She lets him suck her blood.

The only good thing, in my opinion, in this story is that she ends up with Jacob Jack instead of Edward Lucian though I cannot believe how long it took her to figure out that Edward Lucian wasn’t good for her.

To be honest, Marta Acosta’s writing style was the only thing that made me see it through to the end. Her writing was way better than that of Stephanie Meyers, and though her plot hit rock bottom, her writing made it bearable. ( )
  Joyce.Leung | May 24, 2013 |

Brought back to life and orphaned at the age of six, Jane Williams grows up in a series of foster homes and wins a scholarship to the exclusive Birch Grove Academy, where dark secrets abound.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,667,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible