B.P.R.D., Vol. 05: The Black Flame by Mike…

B.P.R.D., Vol. 05: The Black Flame

by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi

English (5)  Czech (1)  All (6)
Dammit, I really liked him... ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
The fight against the Frogs gets much closer to home, as the BPRD suffers, even in a victory. ( )
  JonathanCrites | Oct 24, 2014 |
I didn't like this volume as much. A bit too far-fetched (yes yes, I know, it's the Hellboy world, nothing is far-fetched, but still) and overwhelming, and depressing, and, no, I prefer other volumes. ( )
  .Monkey. | Nov 6, 2013 |
This one is absolutely heartbreaking.

The war on the frog monsters has reached a boil. Roger and Captain Daimio are running full military invasions into frog nests and cleaning house. Unfortunately, dark forces are at work and the new head of Zinco (no brighter than the last guy) is planning to take control of the beasts. But, there is more to the frogs than meets the eye, especially for those blinded by power and glory.

The Black Flame just flows from Lovecraftian horror to Kirbyesque supervillians to Godzilla-style kaiju versus military action. Guns blaze, monsters roar, and not everyone will come out unscathed. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Jun 25, 2013 |
This trade paperback collects the six-issue BPRD: The Black Flame series.

Note: This review features mild plot spoilers -- read at your own risk.

The full-scale war between the BPRD (and the US government) and the frogs heats up into open warfare, continuing the major storyline begun in BPRD Volume 3: Plague of Frogs. Ben Daimio and Roger are leading full military teams against pockets of frogs wherever they find them, and there are lots of cool, creepy images of what the frogs are up to in their underground lairs. The frogs get a new leader in this story, a “Nazi-friendly” corporate exec who has a set of powered armor built (the eponymous “Black Flame”) and decides to lead the frogs to glory (or annihilation, as the case may be). Lots of big battles and explosions abound.

There are lots of cool bits in this collection, to be sure, and I really like the look of the Black Flame’s costume (sadly, he never really lives up to the cool aesthetic of his costume and doesn’t do much) as well as the gigantic critter the frogs summon to lay waste to the Earth. Both are inspired, but can’t make up for a rather lackluster storyline.

I won’t spoiler how this is all resolved, except to say that this story witnesses the death of one of the main BPRD characters. He/she will be sorely missed.

This one just didn’t grab me as much as the previous BPRD collections. Sure, our old chums are all there (sans Hellboy, of course), and it certainly advances the main BPRD storyline (i.e., the war against the “frogs”), but it was just missing some of that old Hellboy/BPRD mojo. I still recommend it if you’re a fan of BPRD, and I give it 4 stars out of 5.

Review copyright 2010 J. Andrew Byers ( )
  bibliorex | Oct 8, 2010 |

Mike Mignolaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Arcudi, Johnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Davis, GuyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

As the plague of frogs devestates America's heartland, tragedy befalls the B.P.R.D. Liz Sherman is haunted by mysterious dreams as a Nazi CEO resurrects a villain from the Bureau's bizarre history, heralding the reign of men and changing the Bureau forever.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,317,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible