The Shadowing: Hunted by Adam Slater

The Shadowing: Hunted

by Adam Slater

@Amazon (1) adam slater (2) children's (1) creepy (1) Demonology (1) demons (4) ebook (2) England (1) fantasy (3) fate (2) fiction (6) freebie (2) ghosts (3) horror (10) Kindle (2) magic (1) murder (1) netgalley-arcs (2) other worlds (1) paranormal (4) scary (1) series (2) sff (1) supernatural (4) teen (4) to-read (6) trilogy (1) unread (1) YA (5) young adult (3)

“The girl lies by the canal, her face turned upwards like a stargazer. But she will never see the stars again. Her eyes have been torn out. The rain fills the empty sockets until they brim over, spilling bloody tears down her cold, white cheeks..”

Hunted is a YA paranormal horror novel. This tale is told from the point of view of fourteen year old protagonist Scott Callum. Callum has always known he was different; he lives with his Gram in a small crammed cottage, sees ghosts and has amazing luck. He views himself as an outcast because of his abilities and keeps to himself. Experiences from his elementary school days, have kept him from sharing his strange gifts with anyone. Young people are being brutally murdered by the eerie “Hunter” and messages are being left in blood all over town. Strange things begin happening to Callum, the ghosts he normally sees at the Nether Marlock Church are no longer there, and instead the town is filled with even more ghosts than usual. He senses something evil is following him. He sees a strange ghost child with a huge grizzly dog and thinks they are the evil following him. He begins having dreams and premonitions. When he has a vision or senses there is danger, his hands tingle and go numb. At school, this occurs and he saves a new age Goth girl named, Melissa from death. Callum slowly learns that this quirky girl is brave, smart and not at all afraid of the supernatural. Callum and Melissa begin to search for clues about the large dog and ghost boy he has seen. Together they learn that Callum is a chime child. This is a child born beneath a full moon between midnight on Friday and the cockcrow on Saturday. They also learn that once every century, the boundary between the demon Netherworld and the human world weaken. Creatures gather, preparing to cross over, to bring death and destruction. This time is called The Shadowing. Callum must face who he is, what is hunting him, who his friends are and whether or not he wants to save the world.
The story started off slow for me, but once it took off I was completely engrossed. I loved watching Callum go from a slumped shouldered unsure teen into a more confident young man. I liked Melissa from the beginning, and wish I had been such a confident young woman in high school. The villain in this story, “the hunter”, gave me goose bumps. I wanted more details of the Netherworld, and I am hoping Slater satisfies this in the next book. The book contains a preview to the second book in this trilogy entitled The Shadowing: Skinned. This reader to intends see where Adam Slater will take this story next.
A special thank you to netGalley and Egmont USA for this advanced copy in exchange for my unbiased review. This book will be published on September 13, 2011.
http://kimbathecaffeinatedbookreviewer.blogspot.com/ ( )
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 29, 2013 |

http://kimbathecaffeinatedbookreviewer.blogspot.com/ ( )
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 29, 2013 |
This review will be posted on my blog on September 11. I really enjoyed this book. It was dark and creepy with beings that come straight from horror movies. Callum of course is your typical loner teen with abilities that he keeps hidden from everyone. He sees ghosts but that's not the only strange thing about him. Callum is a lot more special than he thought and when a strange creature begins to hunt him and other children around the area, Callum has to confide in someone. He picks Melissa, a girl that's interested in all things dark; ghosts, vampires and witches. To his surprise, she's not shocked, she becomes a willing battle partner. I liked their relationship and for once I was quite glad to see that these two characters didn't have a rushed kissing scene, neither declared their undying love for each other. They just were. They were two characters caught up in something neither can control and neither want to be involved in. That alone made this novel a very refreshing read.It's also refreshing to see a boy have to deal with mystical powers and strange otherworldly beings because usually, we read about females that must deal with these things, females and a boy that wants to desperately protect her because he loves her so much. This book is just a refreshing read and not to mention, quite creepy. Overall a great read. I am really looking forward to the next! I received this book from Netgalley for an honest review. ( )
  highflyer | Jan 3, 2012 |
  highflyer | Jan 3, 2012 |
Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/148

It took me awhile to get into this book, but once I did I found I enjoyed it. The story of chime children and the Shadowing is a new one to me, and I found it a refreshing break to read a paranormal book that isn’t about vampires or werewolves. Chime children are those who are born in the chime hours – the hours between midnight on Friday and dawn on Saturday under a full moon. Callum Scott is a chime child and can see ghosts and has visions of future evils. The Shadowing is a time that comes only once a century and is when the boundaries between the mortal world and the Netherworld are weakened. It is the duty of the chime children to protect this boundary. It is Callum’s duty to protect this boundary.

My only serious quarrel with the book is that it was so short! It’s the first installment of a new series, and I will be impatiently awaiting the next. ( )
  mandikaye | Jan 3, 2012 |

At the time called The Shadowing, the barrier between the netherworld and the human world begins to break down, and as fourteen-year-old Callum sees his visions of grisly murders coming true he strives to fulfill his destiny to stand against bloodthirsty demon forces while he, himself, is being hunted.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,053,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible