Hands Are Not for Hitting by Martine Agassi

Hands Are Not for Hitting (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Martine Agassi, Marieka Heinlen (Illustrator)

Title:Hands Are Not for Hitting
Authors:Martine Agassi
Other authors:Marieka Heinlen (Illustrator)
Info:Free Spirit Pub (2002), Hardcover, 24 pages
Tags:peers, friends, concepts, anatomy

Hands Are Not for Hitting by Martine Agassi (Author) (2002)

Its not okay to hit people. There are many of positive things you could do with your hands.
  arielgramner | Aug 13, 2015 |
a book about how to use are hands appropriately. ages 3-5
  SarahNicole91 | Jun 8, 2015 |
this book teaches children how hitting can not only hurt someone but that it isn't kind, there are other ways to express your feelings or dis-like, anger or frustration without putting your hands on someone
ages 3-6
source pierce county library
  bethjones | Jun 2, 2015 |
This book begins by explaining different shape, size, and colors of hands. Then it goes on by explaining what our hands are for like for saying hi, communicating, shaking hands, waving, and drawing. Hands are not for hitting because it hurts when we hit. It ask us why we may hit our friends maybe because we’re sad, jealous, scared, angry, or bossy. We can help those feelings by using our words, solve the problem together, listening, or telling a teacher. We use our hands for learning, painting, helping, taking care of yourself, or making music but not for hitting.
Personal Reaction
I love reading this book and the other books in the series because when we’re having behavioral problems in the classroom. It gives me another was I can reach the children other than just talking to them. I think the book shows children how to express their feelings or shows them different ways they can use their hands without making them feel bad about themselves.
We can trace our hands and cut them out and write (or teachers write) what we can do with our hands. Another activity we can do is make a song for when we feel angry or sad so it can remind us that hitting hurts or make us think of other ways to solve our problems.
  BrittanyCanales | Apr 16, 2015 |
Summary: Summary: Hands come in all different colors shapes and sizes. They are used for communicating, helping, learning counting, painting etc., not ever for hitting. The story tells some reasons people may hit, but also gives the readers the right words to use instead. Hitting is never the answer, our hands are for so many other things.
Personal Reaction: Perfect book for helping little ones to understand how to control their anger. Hitting is never acceptable. This book uses simple words, actions, and pictures.
Classroom Extension: Preschool and Kindergarten ages children. Use to help explain classroom and playground rules. Appropriate ways to express our emotions. Role play opportunities as well. ( )
  LorraineAllen | Mar 19, 2015 |

Agassi, MartineAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heinlen, MariekaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

This is a staple book that is often revisited in Head Start preschool classroom especially when establishing classroom rules at the start of the school year. Another great part about this book is that it provides teachers with two informational pages on children and violence and ideas for discussion starters in the classroom to talk about hitting.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 157542200X, Board book)

It’s never too soon for children to learn that violence is never okay, hands can do many good things, and everyone is capable of positive, loving actions.

In this bright, inviting, durable board book, simple words and full-color illustrations teach these important concepts in ways even very young children can understand.

Created in response to requests from parents, preschool teachers, and childcare providers, this book belongs everywhere young children are.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:25 -0400)

Teaches even the youngest children to use their hands for fun and to understand that hitting is never okay.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,688,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible