Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

Authors:A.C. Gaughen
Info:Walker Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:read, YA, retellings

Scarlet by A. C. Gaughen

Though perhaps some definite 'movie moments' written in (acrobatic flips, excellent knife throwing, etc.) I enjoyed this retelling of Robin Hood and Maid Marian's beginnings very much. Will read the second installment (Lady Thief) in due time. ( )
  patricia_poland | Jan 2, 2017 |
I'm supported airports surprised at how much I really loved this book. There was an almost (though non existent) love triangle, and the romance was at the forefront a lot of times when the action should have taken center stage - two things I find annoying in a book - however, it worked for this story.

Though I guessed Scarlet's identity from the beginning, it was still nice to read this alternative to the loved Robin Hood tale. ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
I love the premise of this book. The idea of a bad ass girl mixed up with robin hood and the marry men was a cool idea. I loved the setting and the direction they took with tuck and the town. However, the heroin often turned just a little whiny and was not nearly as well written as I expected and the weird love triangle made things odd. Over all i wish the writing had been a little better, but it does have enjoyable moments, though another reviewer was right about scar being a major mary sue. ( )
  Shadowling | Jun 6, 2016 |
I was hooked from the very first chapter. It started off pretty fast paced and it never slowed down. Scarlet is just my idol. I love her personality and character and how she is so independent and self reliant. She is such an asset to the group, she is the look out and an amazing fighter. I'll stop gushing though. She's just too amazing for words, though not perfect. She's perfectly imperfect. Seriously though, I'll stop now.

The rest of the band is just as great, although Little John is such a ladies man. Commence the eye rolling. The book is full of danger and mystery, betrayal and intrigue and everything in between. AND IT'S A TRILOGY!!! I learned that after I read it. I thought it was a standalone so that was pretty uplifting. I definitely recommend this book to all young adult lovers.
  bookharpy | Apr 19, 2016 |
This review was originally posted on Bookish Things & MoreQuickie Review
Scarlet was a reread for me. The first time I read it, I wasn't in the frame of mind for a historical based book. I decided to give it another go, and I'm happy I did.

I really like Scarlet's character. She's opinionated, and doesn't let the guys boss her around. She does have a habit of going off on her own when she's upset, but I do that too. I was able to connect with her.

The mystery of who she is was something that I loved. You get subtle little hints, and I like when breadcrumbs are left for me to have that aha moment. There are aspects of a romance, but it doesn't overshadow Scarlet's struggle.

There is a ton of action. I mean, it is a Robin Hood retelling. We see some pretty awesome sword fights, and witty banter. (My favorite parts)

I need to get the next book in the series so I can see what happens. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |

Many readers know the tale of Robin Hood, but they will be swept away by this new version full of action, secrets, and romance. Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in. It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:17 -0400)

Will Scarlet shadows Robin Hood, with an unerring eye for finding treasures to steal and throwing daggers with deadly accuracy, but when Gisbourne, a ruthless bounty hunter, is hired by the sheriff to capture Robin and his band of thieves, Robin must become Will's protector risking his own life in the process.… (more)

92 wanted2 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,786,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible