Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

Authors:A.C. Gaughen
Info:Walker Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:read, YA, retellings

Scarlet by A. C. Gaughen

I was hooked from the very first chapter. It started off pretty fast paced and it never slowed down. Scarlet is just my idol. I love her personality and character and how she is so independent and self reliant. She is such an asset to the group, she is the look out and an amazing fighter. I'll stop gushing though. She's just too amazing for words, though not perfect. She's perfectly imperfect. Seriously though, I'll stop now.

The rest of the band is just as great, although Little John is such a ladies man. Commence the eye rolling. The book is full of danger and mystery, betrayal and intrigue and everything in between. AND IT'S A TRILOGY!!! I learned that after I read it. I thought it was a standalone so that was pretty uplifting. I definitely recommend this book to all young adult lovers.
  bookharpy | Apr 19, 2016 |
After Robin Hood caught her trying to steal from him, he blackmailed Scarlet (known to the legends as Will Scarlet) into working for his cause against the rapacious Sheriff of Nottingham. With her help, he, Much, and John Little are able to keep the peasants alive. But then the Sheriff starts taking hostages and Scarlet's old foe Guy of Gisbourne, the thieftaker, arrives in Nottingham. With the stakes raised so high, can--

Who am I kidding? The author doesn't give a crap about the peasants, who exist purely to make Scarlet feel guilty and alternately praise her as a saint and look down at her as a thief (purely depending on whether the narrative wants the ever-watching Robin to esteem her or pity her). Gaughen doesn't give a crap about the sheriff, either, who has about two lines and is taken care of offhandedly. It's not even about Robin Hood and his quest for justice for his people and himself; Robin's highest concern is always Scarlet. (This is not to say that Robin actually cares for Scarlet, since he spends most of the book moodily glaring at anyone who looks at her, and the last bit of the book calling her a whore after finding out her father promised her hand to someone at age 13.) The only focus of this book is Scarlet. Scarlet has such bad self-esteem that she literally only eats a bite or two of bread every few days, and yet somehow she has the strength to punch guardsmen unconscious, vault over walls, and swing through the trees. Scarlet has eyes like moonstones, and everyone who sees them thinks they're magic and remembers her forever. Every good guy that knows Scarlet is a girl wants to date her, and every bad guy that knows Scarlet is a girl wants to rape her (even in the middle of a pitched battle!). She is very, very special, and just in case the reader ever forgets, the narrative is always there to help her sacrifice herself or get hurt so all the Merry Men stroke her wounds.

I hated Scarlet, and I hated [b:Scarlet|12296|The Scarlet Letter|Nathaniel Hawthorne|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327879100s/12296.jpg|4925227]. This is wish-fulfillment martyr-ish drek of the worst sort. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Ever imagined yourself a swashbuckling outlaw leaping through the forest, inches ahead of the greedy nobility from whom you've just stolen money enough to ensure that your people will withstand another tax season with their heads intact?

No? Just me? Oh, well ...

For those of you who nodded as you read that descriptor, never fear. There are a number of us, and I imagine one of them is probably author A. C. Gaughen, whose Scarlet trilogy is a tremendously well-written and engaging, and newly re-imagined rendition of the classic story of the hero and outlaw Robin Hood.

The trilogy consists of SCARLET, LADY THIEF, and LION HEART, listed in correct reading order, and trust me when I tell you, you really need to read them in the right order. Otherwise, you'll be thoroughly confused, having been plunged into a melee of intricately crafted subplots peopled with characters compelling enough to walk right off the pages.

My favorite character throughout the series is Scarlet, the title character of the first novel, and the point-of-view character through whose eyes readers experience the entire story line in all three books. She is as three-dimensional and realistic as can be, full of unique qualities, abilities, and contradictions --- like her gruff exterior versus her soft heart for the suffering --- that make her a sympathetic character from the first page.

And anyone who appreciates the original Robin Hood tale will be relieved to know that Gaughen took great pains as she crafted each character, and that she included all the usual suspects, so to speak, from Little John to Friar Tuck, but with her own delightful twists in every individual instance.

It's a delight and a pleasure to present this trilogy to my readers for their consideration, and I can't stress enough how highly I regard the trilogy and its author for its heart-warming, suspenseful, devastating impact.

# # #

Title: LION HEART
Series: Scarlet (#3)
ISBN: 978-0-8027-3616-1
Purchase here: http://amzn.to/1TvwPkD

Disclaimer: The opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  Eleanore_Trupkiewicz | Feb 22, 2016 |
Short and enjoyable, but I wanted more. I thought the concept was just a great idea, but the execution wasn't all I wanted it to be. I liked Scarlet's character and found her independent and intriguing to follow. All of the chracters were interesting. The ending was well worth reading and the story could have a sequel or companion, or it might not. I think for such a great time period and such well-known conceptual characters, the story could have been even more dynamic then this short tale was. Maybe another author would have really taken this retelling to another level, but it was still worth reading. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |

Many readers know the tale of Robin Hood, but they will be swept away by this new version full of action, secrets, and romance. Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in. It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:17 -0400)

Will Scarlet shadows Robin Hood, with an unerring eye for finding treasures to steal and throwing daggers with deadly accuracy, but when Gisbourne, a ruthless bounty hunter, is hired by the sheriff to capture Robin and his band of thieves, Robin must become Will's protector risking his own life in the process.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,850,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible