Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

Authors:A.C. Gaughen
Info:Walker Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:read, YA, retellings

Scarlet by A. C. Gaughen

Short and enjoyable, but I wanted more. I thought the concept was just a great idea, but the execution wasn't all I wanted it to be. I liked Scarlet's character and found her independent and intriguing to follow. All of the chracters were interesting. The ending was well worth reading and the story could have a sequel or companion, or it might not. I think for such a great time period and such well-known conceptual characters, the story could have been even more dynamic then this short tale was. Maybe another author would have really taken this retelling to another level, but it was still worth reading. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this reselling of Robin Hood. I have never been a big fan of his, but Gaughen did a great job with this story with a clever twist. It is full of action, intrigue, history and romance, and is told from the point of view of Scarlet, a lady thief who joins the band. Scarlet is a wonderful character, feisty and hard on the outside but full of secrets and hurts on the inside. I also liked the other characters, especially those close to Robin including John Little and Much. It took awhile to get used to Scarlet's dialect, but overall a fun read. Hope there's a sequel. - I want to know what happens next to Scarlet, Robin and the others. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |

Many readers know the tale of Robin Hood, but they will be swept away by this new version full of action, secrets, and romance. Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in. It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:17 -0400)

Will Scarlet shadows Robin Hood, with an unerring eye for finding treasures to steal and throwing daggers with deadly accuracy, but when Gisbourne, a ruthless bounty hunter, is hired by the sheriff to capture Robin and his band of thieves, Robin must become Will's protector risking his own life in the process.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,037,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible