Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

Authors:A.C. Gaughen
Info:Walker Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:read, YA, retellings

Scarlet by A. C. Gaughen

Honestly I haven't said "I hate you" to a character more than when I read this book. Scarlet or Marion or whatever, she's the worst. The author got stuck between the cookie cutter for "badass female role" and "blushing bride to freaking be" and we ended up with a blushing fool called "Scar". The girl was constantly blushing and is thrown into a love triangle with JOHN LITTLE and ROBIN HOOD. What the hell and Will Scarlet was supposed to be a dude but whatever. I hated this version of Robin Hood. ( )
  Rosenstern | Feb 8, 2015 |
I've never read another story, original or retelling, about Robin Hood before. I just saw the movie a few times as a kid. But I absolutely loved this story. Writing in an awesome female character in place of a man. Genius. I love reading to go on dangerous, non-stop adventures, and this book delivers just that. There is always something exciting going on. Scarlet is a wonderful character. You can't be anything but amazed by her incredible knife and stealth skills. She is also more than just a thief. In a way she is like a female Robin Hood, but you will have to read the book to figure out why. The whole story leads to a fantastic ending that does not end suddenly nor does it have a horrible cliffhanger. It ends with just a bit of wonder as to what is in store for the character's futures. And I can't wait to find out what that may be. ( )
  JosP | Jan 15, 2015 |
Great readalike for Bloody Jack. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
I really loved the premise behind the book. As there is little to no historical information available about the origins of the Robin Hood myth, there’s no reason Scarlet couldn’t actually have been a woman. Plus I’m always in favor of seeing fairy tales re-cast with strong female leads. It’s just such a nice break from the traditional helpless damsel! Unfortunately, I enjoyed the execution significantly less than the starting point. Scarlet’s London thief patois comes and goes as she tells the story, enough that I never really got into it. Instead, I was frequently pulled out of the narrative by odd words and phrases. Her personality never grew on me either, or developed at all for that matter. She starts out touchy and grumpy because of trust issues and she never improves in that regard. While I don’t mind characters with weaknesses, it’s important that they enjoy some personal growth throughout the novel and that doesn’t happen here.

Scarlet is also not the strong heroine I was looking for. Sure, she can fight with the best of them and is compassionate to those she helps. But all that independence goes right out the window when it comes to boys – the weakness of so many otherwise wonderful heroines. I don’t mind love triangles on principle, but I passionately hate heroines who lead two boys on and can’t make up their minds. In someone who’s otherwise so brave, this indecision at the expense of other’s feelings is neither believable nor relatable. If you disagree with me and enjoy such love triangles, you might enjoy this book significantly more than I did. It does keep the fun, adventurous feel of the original and something exciting is always happening. I just couldn’t get over my complete disappointment with our heroine.

This review first published at Doing Dewey. ( )
  DoingDewey | Jun 29, 2014 |
The tale of Robin Hood has been told in a thousand different ways, but Scarlet takes on the perspective of another one of Robin's band: Will Scarlet. This is a familiar figure for those who have heard of Robin Hood's band of merry men, however, in this case Will Scarlet is not male but a female.

One of the most interesting developments in the story is how one comes to see the band as a unit as each accepts growing up and becoming an adult. Each has faced significant trauma and are still attempting to conceive of a better world and at are odds with the figures in their life how have placed them in this situation. Most interesting is that every one of Robin Hood's "men" are under 18 and so it reads very much like a coming of age story. Each struggles to find their place in society and are overwhelmed by the war and strife of every day life.

Also present within the work is a love story. For those who have read adult romance there is always a sense of knowing what is to come, but this work crafts a story in which the love is building and uncertain. Feelings are as uncertain and treacherous as the situation that the characters find themselves in and create a very real experience of first love. The love one sees building is tenuous and threatened primarily by the readers knowledge of Robin Hood's lady love of the original tale. ( )
  alicen3 | Jun 8, 2014 |

Many readers know the tale of Robin Hood, but they will be swept away by this new version full of action, secrets, and romance. Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in. It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:58 -0400)

Will Scarlet shadows Robin Hood, with an unerring eye for finding treasures to steal and throwing daggers with deadly accuracy, but when Gisbourne, a ruthless bounty hunter, is hired by the sheriff to capture Robin and his band of thieves, Robin must become Will's protector risking his own life in the process.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,705,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible