The Song of the Quarkbeast by Jasper Fforde

The Song of the Quarkbeast

by Jasper Fforde

Series: Chronicles of Kazam (2)

Orphans (52)

English (51)  Dutch (1)  All languages (52)
Jennifer Strange and the wizards of Kazam need to team up when King Snodd tries to take over all the magic in the world. A great second in the series, the characters are a lot of fun and the story exciting. Lots of fun wordplay too - this is Jasper Fforde, after all. Will start the next in the series immediately! ( )
  -Eva- | Apr 4, 2019 |
Sixteen year old Jennifer Strange, foundling and non magical manager of Kazam Mystical Arts Management – the sensible looking girl with a pony tail – is becoming one of my favorite teenage characters. She can handle everything thrown at her – and does it with Fforde's brand of humor.

I'm also really fond of quarkbeasts; hooray for this inventive magical beastie. I was happy they made a reappearance and to learn more about them; as a hint, their key is in their name.

As a YA series this is not as complex as Fforde's other works; but it's highly entertaining even for an adult, and would be great to read with a youngster. ( )
  streamsong | Mar 17, 2019 |
Very fun fantasy, and Jennifer is a great main character. I liked this sequel just as much as The Last Dragonslayer. Much as I like Fforde's Thursday Next series, it can get too convoluted and self-referential. This series is a more accessible straightforward read.

But why is Fforde spelled with two f's and an e? Is it a strange Welsh spelling thing, and is actually pronounced Smith? Or is his name pronounced ffffordee? It is a mystery to me. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
This was a more compact tale than the first in the series. Very enjoyable and infinitely imaginative. ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
Enjoyable sequel to [b:The Last Dragonslayer|13316328|The Last Dragonslayer (The Last Dragonslayer, #1)|Jasper Fforde|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1346791460s/13316328.jpg|13380425]. I think I preferred it, in fact. I particularly liked the Transient Moose. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |

Jasper Ffordeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kettner, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, RyanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'For every Quarkbeast there is an equal and opposite Quarkbeast.'

Miss Boolean Smith, Sorcerer (Rtd)
For Margie and Stu
With grateful thanks
for kindnesses too numerous to mention
I work in the magic industry.

A long time ago Magic faded away, leaving behind only yo-yos, the extremely useful compass-pointing-to-North enchantment and the spell that keeps bicycles from falling over.

Things are about to change. Magical power is on the rise and King Snodd IV of Hereford has realised that he who controls Magic controls almost anything. Only one person stands between Snodd and his plans for unimaginable power and riches.

Meet Jennifer Strange, sixteen-year-old acting manager of Kazam, the employment agency for sorcerers and soothsayers. She may only have one functioning Wizard and her faithful assistant 'Tiger' Prawns to help her. But one thing is certain: she will not relinquish the noble powers of Magic to big business and commerce without a fight.

In an alternate United Kingdom, King Snodd aims to control the world by controlling magic, and only sixteen-year-old Jennifer Strange, acting manager of an employment agency for sorcerers, stands between Snodd and his plans.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,872,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible