The Song of the Quarkbeast by Jasper Fforde

The Song of the Quarkbeast (edition 2012)

by Jasper Fforde

Member:Sakerfalcon
Title:The Song of the Quarkbeast
Authors:Jasper Fforde
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2012), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Read 2012
Tags:Teen

The Song of the Quarkbeast by Jasper Fforde

English (44)  Dutch (1)  English (45)
Synopsis: Jenny Strange, acting manager of Kazam Mystical Arts Management, is still struggling to keep the business going despite her successes in The Last Dragonslayer (2012). There are not enough moolahs to fix up the once-glorious headquarters; Jenny's boss, the Great Zambini, is still only sighted at unpredictable intervals; and some of Jenny's best sorcerers have turned to stone. Worse yet, King Snodd IV of the Ununited Kingdoms is conniving to give Kazam's rival firm, iMagic, a monopoly. Jenny has to come up with a plan while racing to prevent twinned Quarkbeasts from annihilating the kingdom. No wonder she doesn't have time to date Wizard Perkins!
Review: This book left me wanting to know what was going to happen next! ( )
  DrLed | Nov 7, 2016 |
Simple, fun, a light evening's read. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
I received this book free from a goodreads.com giveaway.

When I first started this book I was worried I would be lost because I had not read the first book in the series. After reading this book I can say I was able to follow the series while taking this book as a stand alone. I really enjoyed this book. I found it fun and entertaining to read. ( )
  tianicolle | Jan 26, 2016 |
Audiobook performed Elizabeth Jasicki

From the dust jacket - Long ago, magic began to fade, and the underemployed magicians of Kazam Mystical Arts management have been forced to take any work their sixteen-year-old acting manager, Jennifer Strange, can scare up. But things are about to change. Magical power is finally on the rise, and King Snodd IV of the Ununited Kingdoms knows that he who controls magic controls everything. Only one person stands between Snodd and his plans for a magic grab – and that’s Jennifer.

My reactions
Fforde entertains with another flight of fancy and fantasy. The plot has been written before – evil geniuses out to control the world, thwarted by an honest, morally upright young person with right on her side. The cast of characters includes several doddering old magicians, one charming young apprentice, the king’s useless brother, and the Transient Moose. The action features a magic carpet ride at the speed of light, a visit to Trollvania, a brief appearance by the Great Zambini himself, and a bridge-building contest between rival teams of sorcerers. Of course, there’s also the quarkbeast and its lonely song: “A song of resignation, of poetry given and received.”

I like that Jasper’s heroine is a strong, intelligent, resourceful young woman who uses wit and intelligence rather than might to best her enemies. In fact, there are several strong women in the roster of characters from Lady Mawgon to the Once Magnificent Boo.

On the whole, however, I think this is a book best enjoyed by a younger audience; ages 10-15 seems to be the target group.

Elizabeth Jasicki does a marvelous job performing the audiobook. She has a gift for voices that brings all these colorful characters to life. And her enthusiasm for the work helped me suspend disbelief and enjoy the ride (even without a magic carpet).
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
I loved this often silly, quirky, and suspenseful tale of magic management in somewhat medieval structured world with fantastical beasts, wayward wizards, and lowly foundlings. Just plain fun. ( )
  KEFeeney | Dec 6, 2015 |

Jasper Ffordeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kettner, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, RyanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'For every Quarkbeast there is an equal and opposite Quarkbeast.'

Miss Boolean Smith, Sorcerer (Rtd)
For Margie and Stu
With grateful thanks
for kindnesses too numerous to mention
I work in the magic industry.

A long time ago Magic faded away, leaving behind only yo-yos, the extremely useful compass-pointing-to-North enchantment and the spell that keeps bicycles from falling over.

Things are about to change. Magical power is on the rise and King Snodd IV of Hereford has realised that he who controls Magic controls almost anything. Only one person stands between Snodd and his plans for unimaginable power and riches.

Meet Jennifer Strange, sixteen-year-old acting manager of Kazam, the employment agency for sorcerers and soothsayers. She may only have one functioning Wizard and her faithful assistant 'Tiger' Prawns to help her. But one thing is certain: she will not relinquish the noble powers of Magic to big business and commerce without a fight.

In an alternate United Kingdom, King Snodd aims to control the world by controlling magic, and only sixteen-year-old Jennifer Strange, acting manager of an employment agency for sorcerers, stands between Snodd and his plans.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,627,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible