The Song of the Quarkbeast: A Last…

The Song of the Quarkbeast: A Last Dragonslayer Novel (Dragonslayer… (edition 2012)

by Jasper Fforde

Member:infjsarah
Title:The Song of the Quarkbeast: A Last Dragonslayer Novel (Dragonslayer Trilogy)
Authors:Jasper Fforde
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2012), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:borrowed, fantasy, young adult, UK, magic, magicians, orphans

The Song of the Quarkbeast by Jasper Fforde

Recently added byronincats, private library, Glennis.LeBlanc, dinglemunch, iBeth, Watry, PoMoFo

English (28)  Dutch (1)  All languages (29)
The second book in the YA series has Jennifer dealing with a magical contest with imagic over the control of magic in the kingdom. And of course the deck is stacked against Kazam with shady deals with the king. You do find out more about the workings of magic and about trolls and quarkbeasts as well. And the nice thing about this one is you really don't need to know anything about the previous book to read this one at all. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Jennifer Strange is the acting general manager of a magical agency that helps solve everyday problems in the Ununited Kingdom, such as locating lost items that don't want to be found and rebuilding bridges. This book had me laughing at the antics of the wizards and their fictional creatures. Jasper Fforde's sense of humor and writing style are intoxicating. Highly recommend. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Mar 8, 2014 |
Obviously, Jasper Fforde's style of writing is not for everyone, but I happen to love it. Does anyone know if he's writing any more books in this series? It didn't seem like it, given the ending, but I've grown rather attached to this world and these characters. ( )
  Cailiosa | Mar 4, 2014 |
Amusing and whimsical, this second book of the series is full of twists and turns. I didn't find it as engaging as "The Last Dragonslayer" but it was entertaining. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Feb 21, 2014 |
Four and a half stars! I really liked this book a lot. I loved The Last Dragonslayer and this sequel did not let me down. Lots of laughs, great suspense, wonderful quirky characters. This is a joy to read. I received this as a gift from edelweiss.abovethetreeline. I am very grateful for the opportunity to review this book. It will be a top priority to buy for my library. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |

Jasper Ffordeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kettner, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, RyanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'For every Quarkbeast there is an equal and opposite Quarkbeast.'

Miss Boolean Smith, Sorcerer (Rtd)
For Margie and Stu
With grateful thanks
for kindnesses too numerous to mention
I work in the magic industry.

A long time ago Magic faded away, leaving behind only yo-yos, the extremely useful compass-pointing-to-North enchantment and the spell that keeps bicycles from falling over.

Things are about to change. Magical power is on the rise and King Snodd IV of Hereford has realised that he who controls Magic controls almost anything. Only one person stands between Snodd and his plans for unimaginable power and riches.

Meet Jennifer Strange, sixteen-year-old acting manager of Kazam, the employment agency for sorcerers and soothsayers. She may only have one functioning Wizard and her faithful assistant 'Tiger' Prawns to help her. But one thing is certain: she will not relinquish the noble powers of Magic to big business and commerce without a fight.

In an alternate United Kingdom, King Snodd aims to control the world by controlling magic, and only sixteen-year-old Jennifer Strange, acting manager of an employment agency for sorcerers, stands between Snodd and his plans.

110 wanted4 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,241,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible