The Song of the Quarkbeast: A Last…

The Song of the Quarkbeast: A Last Dragonslayer Novel (Dragonslayer… (edition 2012)

by Jasper Fforde

Member:infjsarah
Title:The Song of the Quarkbeast: A Last Dragonslayer Novel (Dragonslayer Trilogy)
Authors:Jasper Fforde
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2012), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:borrowed, fantasy, young adult, UK, magic, magicians, orphans

The Song of the Quarkbeast by Jasper Fforde

English (35)  Dutch (1)  All languages (36)
This was another stellar outing from Jasper Fforde. I found myself feeling as excited by this story as I did about the first few Thursday Next novels. The characters here are strong and memorable, and the story carries Fforde's signature blend of the magical and the all-too-real. As Jennifer Strange continues to manage the wizards of Kazam, battling the corrupt government and seeking her disappeared boss, things heat up with the rival magicians of iMagic. It is never a given that the good side will prevail in Fforde's worlds, so the tension builds to the right level before the resolution. I spent the last few chapters of this book dragging my heels a bit, not wanting it to end, and I was very happy to discover there is another in the series that I can look forward to. As Thursday winds down, the future looks Strange. ( )
  karenchase | Aug 20, 2015 |
Originally published in Great Britain by Hodder & Stoughton, 2011.
  Bookman1954 | Feb 17, 2015 |
Description: Magic has been in a sad state in the Ununited Kingdom for years, but now it’s finally on the rise, and boneheaded King Snodd IV knows it. If he succeeds at his plot, the very future of magic will be at risk! Sensible sixteen-year-old Jennifer Strange, acting manager of Kazam Mystical Arts Management and its unpredictable crew of sorcerers, has little chance against the king and his cronies—but there’s no way Kazam will let go of the noble powers of magic without a fight. A suspenseful, satirical story of Quarkbeasts, trolls, and wizidrical crackle!

Thoughts: I don't LOVE this series like I do others by Jasper Fforde, but I can pretty much completely chalk that up to the fact that this one if YA and therefore just a little bit less fleshed than his others. The characters are great, the world is interesting, there's lots of weird and wonderful Ffordeiness throughout, but it just needs a little bit more oomph to push it solidly into great.

I found several of the major plot lines in this one pretty easily predictable but that didn't rob the story of too much. All in all, quite enjoyable.

Rating: 3.6

Liked: 3.5
Plot: 3.5
Characterization: 4
Writing: 3.5

http://www.librarything.com/topic/156659#4271740 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 18, 2015 |
The second book in the Kazam series returns to Hereford where dictatorial King Snodd IV is looking to corner the market on magic. The only person who can stop him appears to be Jennifer Strange, the orphan teenager who manages employment for a house of sorcerers. In typical Fforde fashion, humorous and quirky events intertwine to bring this story to an entertaining resolution. I look forward to reading more about Jennifer and her companions in future installments. ( )
  Othemts | Jan 7, 2015 |
Although it's a little sillier than the first book, this sequel to The Last Dragonslayer actually has a better, more cohesive plot. The editing/proofing is a little slipshod, and I noticed some continuity errors between this book and both the first and third volumes. For example, at the end of Quarkbeast, the residents spruce up the old hotel with magic, returning it to its former glory. But at the beginning of The Eye of Zoltar, the hotel is shabby once more, the residents having decided not to fix it up because it would ruin the unique character of the place. ( )
  MadameWho | Dec 11, 2014 |

Jasper Ffordeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kettner, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, RyanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'For every Quarkbeast there is an equal and opposite Quarkbeast.'

Miss Boolean Smith, Sorcerer (Rtd)
For Margie and Stu
With grateful thanks
for kindnesses too numerous to mention
I work in the magic industry.

A long time ago Magic faded away, leaving behind only yo-yos, the extremely useful compass-pointing-to-North enchantment and the spell that keeps bicycles from falling over.

Things are about to change. Magical power is on the rise and King Snodd IV of Hereford has realised that he who controls Magic controls almost anything. Only one person stands between Snodd and his plans for unimaginable power and riches.

Meet Jennifer Strange, sixteen-year-old acting manager of Kazam, the employment agency for sorcerers and soothsayers. She may only have one functioning Wizard and her faithful assistant 'Tiger' Prawns to help her. But one thing is certain: she will not relinquish the noble powers of Magic to big business and commerce without a fight.

In an alternate United Kingdom, King Snodd aims to control the world by controlling magic, and only sixteen-year-old Jennifer Strange, acting manager of an employment agency for sorcerers, stands between Snodd and his plans.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,033,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible