Jokers Club by Gregory Bastianelli

Jokers Club (edition 2011)

by Gregory Bastianelli

Rating:***
Tags:ARC, Horror

Jokers Club by Gregory Bastianelli

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
With echoes of Stephen King's IT this book tells the story of a group of childhood friends who reunite and one by one begin to die. I loved IT and hope I would have the same feelings for the Jokers Club but I found the story even the creepiest to be wooden and forced, good idea that wasnt full flushed out. ( )
  mccin68 | Dec 6, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I can't say I didn't dislike it. It had a brilliant premise. I'm glad I read it, but I probably wouldn't have if I didn't get the ARC. The major disappointment of the book is simply the fact that it's premise is a bit too complicated for such a short story. Still, read it if you want something good to read. Just don't go hoping for something amazingly new. It's more of the same, and that's why it's so enjoyable. ( )
  tob2007 | Sep 9, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Jokers Club was a pleasure to read, giving a unique look into the lives of its protagonists as they struggle to deal with what they have unearthed in their own lives. Without a great cast of characters, a terrific plot, and a great job of weaving in various horror tropes, this book would have been a dud, but it will win over the vast majority of those who read it. ( )
  NKSCF | Jun 23, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Not a bad read. I think it could have benefited from a little more time, a little more editing, etc., but it was enjoyable. Although it felt a little too much like Stephen King's "It" to me, and I've never been a big fan of the whole "writer-as-protagonist" thing. Always feels a bit contrived. It definitely got better as the book went on, and I thought the ending was a nice little twist. ( )
  BeckahRah | May 17, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I expected a little more when I read the book. Over all the book is a quick read and is enjoyable but it needed more work on the charters. It was hard for me to get into the book and it felt more like I forced myself to read it rather than enjoying it. ( )
  dsoj84 | Mar 7, 2012 |
I had only typed a single line on the page: "Jason Nightingale had no idea when he joined the Jokers Club of the horrible events that would follow."

Unfortunately Geoffrey’s tumor quickly worsens, bringing on blackouts and hallucinations where he encounters the spectral figure of a court jester who had been his muse as a child. The jester inspires Geoffrey’s work on his manuscript, fueling his writing at a ferocious pace. The dead and the living co-exist in the pages of Geoffrey’s story, in a town where time seems to be frozen in a past that still haunts the present.
When one of the gang is found dead it rattles not only his group of friends, but everyone begins to look at each other as possible suspects. Will the pounding growth in Geoffrey’s head be held at bay long enough for him to discover who is targeting his friends, or will the pages in his unfinished novel rewrite history?
Friendly reunion
Until my friends start to die
Am I the killer?
(yoyogod)

Diagnosed with a brain tumor, Geoffrey returns to his hometown for a reunion of the Jokers Club (his childhood gang) with the hopes of unearthing the imagination he held in his youth. Upon arriving, he discovers the creative juices that drove his writing many years ago surround him: the tombstone salesman who chisels out names of the dead, the far-sighted barber with the bloodstained smock and the reclusive Tin Man, just to name a few. Unfortunately Geoffrey's tumor quickly worsens, bringing on blackouts and hallucinations where he encounters the spectral figure of a court jester who had been his muse as a child. The jester inspires Geoffrey's work on his manuscript, fueling his writing at a ferocious pace. The dead and the living co-exist in the pages of Geoffrey's story, in a town where time seems to be frozen in a past that still haunts the present. When one of the gang is found dead it rattles not only his group of friends, but everyone begins to look at each other as possible suspects. Will the pounding growth in Geoffrey's head be held at bay long enough for him to discover who is targeting his friends, or will the pages in his unfinished novel rewrite history?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Jokers Club by Gregory Bastianelli was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,291,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible