Ranchero by Rick Gavin

Ranchero

by Rick Gavin

57None206,115 (3.33)6

"Fresh Meat" by Clare Toohey for Criminal Element

Ranchero by Rick Gavin is peopled with real characters in an authentic South, the Mississippi Delta to be exact, who think and speak with the natural wryness of the place. That makes it twice as funny as the usual caper, and I’m not just whistling Dixie.

Forget silly cariacatures from people who don’t really know the South or who generally hold it in contempt, no one can dish its sins with greater hilarity and humanity than one steeped in the tea. Perhaps it’s because of all the laconic, flinty Scots-Irish that populated the place, but there’s a deadpan flatness when conveying horrors matter-of-factly. Gavin just nails that specific Southern langauge and cadence.

(Read the rest at http://www.criminalelement.com/blogs/2011/10/fresh-meat-ranchero-by-rick-gavin )
  CrimeHQ | Apr 11, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ranchero is Rick Gavin's debut novel and, fun as it is most of the time, it shows in places. I'm in Florida, home of Hiaasen, Barry and Dorsey, and I'm no stranger to bizarre characters and over-the-top situations. As we follow repo man and ex-cop Nick Reid in his effort to recover his landlady's stolen Ranchero, we get a real sense of life in the Mississippi Delta and the whacked-out people who live there. The plot gets muddied in the middle but, like the clinically-insane Florida novels I love, the plot is rarely the reason to read. ( )
  cabridges | Mar 29, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Rednecks and shootouts and swamprats, oh my! Razor sharp story about repo-man and ex-cop Nick Reid as he tries to track down his landlady's stolen "calypso coral" Ranchero in the Mississippi Delta. Over the top characters, vivid detail and raucous, wacky dialogue make this book a hilarious treat. It had me laughing out loud; many of the characters are really zany, campy and almost comic-bookish, if that makes sense. Fun, quick regional piece. ( )
  eenerd | Feb 13, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is fun to read. It travels all around Mississippi (mostly from Sonic to Sonic) and goes from a simple TV repo job to car theft to kidnapping to an all-out war with a meth dealer. And it does it with a sense of humor and is told by a narrator who knows how to turn a phrase. But it is not all that long on plot. There is a story here that you can follow from beginning to end. It’s not that it doesn’t have a discernible story line; it’s just that sometimes it felt like the story line was just a convenient way to introduce us to all the characters the author wanted us to meet. Are some of the characters slightly clichéd and lacking in depth? To some degree, yes. But are the characters interesting? I think so, yes. And well worth the time you invest in this book to meet them all. There’s a lot of action and the story moves quickly from one crazy situation to the next which sets a good pace and makes for a quick read. I think it is the kind of book that is best enjoyed if you don’t think too much about it. You shouldn’t worry about where it is all going, don’t try to discern great meaning or figure out some mystery. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. ( )
  bedda | Feb 12, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book. A first novel set in the Missippi delta with a repo man surrounded by a great cast of characters as he tries to recover his landladies stolen vintage Ranchero. Action packed, funny and an altogether good read. I look forward to his next book.
  krisa | Feb 8, 2012 |
For David Atwell - he knows why
I met Percy Dwayne Dubois after a fashion at his Indianola house.

Repo man Nick Reid had a seemingly simple job to do: talk to Percy Dwayne Dubois— pronounced "Dew-boys," front-loaded and hick specific—about the payments he’s behind on for a flat screen TV, or repossess it. But Percy Dwayne wouldn't give in. Nope, instead he saw fit to go all white-trash philosophical and decided that since the world was stacked against him anyway, he might as well fight it. He hit Nick over the head with a fireplace shovel, tied him up with a length of lamp cord, and stole the mint-condition calypso coral-colored 1969 Ranchero that Nick had borrowed from his landlady. And he took the TV with him on a rowdy ride across the Mississippi Delta.

Nick and his best friend Desmond, fellow repo man in Indianola, Mississippi, have no choice but to go after him. The fact that the trail eventually leads to Guy, a meth cooker recently set up in the Delta after the Feds ran him out of New Orleans, is of no consequence—Nick will do anything to get the Ranchero back. And it turns out he might have to.

An original and ballsy road-trip of a crime novel—most of it in Desmond's ex-wife's Geo—Ranchero is an unforgettable read and a fantastic series debut.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:35 -0400)

Attacked by a belligerent man who steals an important car and flees with a television that was being repossessed, Nick Reid and his best friend, Desmond, pursue the man and find themselves on the trail of a notorious meth producer.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Ranchero by Rick Gavin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible